How bad has phil gould been for panthers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edroy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if Gould being the figurehead of Penrith has negative impact on their CEO or don't they have one? He seems to make all the big decisions so if they do have a CEO, god knows what they do.

I think a lot of Penrith's issues are down to selections. The players they've bought and coach in particular are average imo. Cleary seems to have had issues with several players forcing Lewis and co. out. Luke Lewis is one of the top few forwards in the game at his best imo. Breaks the line and a good ballplayer. The fact one of their best ever players didn't want to stay is telling.

maybe they'll get it together in a few years but I see them being cellar dwellers for at least a few more and i love it.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
gould has a few issues still to get over at panthers before the clubs goes forwards, yes it was revealed a few weeks ago how james packer bailed out the club, that's all well and good.
from a board perspective would the board see gould as saving the club, or see it as now owing someone like packer a big favour and at what cost, I wonder why he didn't make approaches to the banks as gould himself said he slashed costs.

gould also has to work very hard on getting the fans back on side, getting rid of the panthers favourite players has led to massive downturns in crowds attending the games.

while stating he is rebuilding the club from a youth perspective, it will be hard to have all youth and no experience in a team and expect to be successful.
the signing of soward in my view is a positive move, its against what he started out as, but he is starting to balance out what is in the team

H

hazem_elmasri

SOWIE'S RISING SUM - RECENT rumours that Japanese rugby union clubs were chasing Jamie Soward were nothing but a tactic to boost his NRL price tag - and the Penrith Panthers fell for it.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Release Luke Lewis and signing the milk man for reportedly $900k a season. Phil Gould you have either lost the plot and are in the early stages of dementia.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Release Luke Lewis and signing the milk man for reportedly $900k a season. Phil Gould you have either lost the plot and are in the early stages of dementia.
$900k? Who gave you that figure? It's not even remotely accurate.

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$900k? Who gave you that figure? It's not even remotely accurate.
Regardless of the figure, questions need to be asked when players like Jenkins and Lewis are released and then the milk man is recruited.

H

hazem_elmasri

Regardless of the figure, questions need to be asked when players like Jenkins and Lewis are released and then the milk man is recruited.
who the hell is Jenkins? haha

but seriously, do we not all recall how many times we've heard GUSSY BOY say "jamie Soward, fastest man in the world over 40 metres!!' - now he has bought him.

I do think Soward is a GUN!!

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
who the hell is Jenkins? haha

but seriously, do we not all recall how many times we've heard GUSSY BOY say "jamie Soward, fastest man in the world over 40 metres!!' - now he has bought him.

I do think Soward is a GUN!!
Jennings. Only a troll with an empty trophy cabinet would think Cowarc is a gun!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
According to the LateMail Twitter account on TheGamePlan ... Panthers chasing Folau badly at the moment.

S

Sharpy

According to the LateMail Twitter account on TheGamePlan ... Panthers chasing Folau badly at the moment.
Everyone is chasing folau, the idiot that said he has agreed to terms with the dogs, whoever he is has no idea

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this season is definitely on him, if they miss the 8 he has failed

Malla

Reaction score
He's signed on another 4 years. Say what you will about Phil, but he has done a terrific job in getting the back offices in order at Panthers. To Rodz point, it's time to shift the focus onto the footy and for Phils success in turning Panthers into a profitable brand to translate into winning footy games.

One thing about Panther's is their roster lacked punch or that superstar player. Signing Idris was the best thing for them. Now they have that.

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
I think we can say now that Gus has been a success at the panthers?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Not yet, they got to win the premiership first and they wont win it while soward is in the halves.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not yet, they got to win the premiership first and they wont win it while soward is in the halves.
The fact that they got this far with Soward in the halves, without their main halfback and the fact that Soward is actually playing well shows that someone is doing something right at the club.

The thing Gould does well is the old school tactics and old school mentality. When every other coach will tell you to overlap, use the backs more, etc, Gould will tell you to put the ball under your arm and run. I know one of the trainers at the Panthers and he tells me that even though Gould is not coach he turns up to training sessions and talks to players about simple things like how to hold the ball so you won't lose it.

It encourages an old school Origin style mentality of winning games through good traditional football. Knowing that if your team is struggling you can quickly drop back to traditional tactics and rebuild fast.

Diesel

Waterboy
Reaction score
True cause he couldn't take the dragons to a premiership either. Oh hang on...

Status
Not open for further replies.