Official Hoppa Re-signed till 2021

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
These signings tell me that the board will not be re-signing Pay, and whoever comes in to replace him will have first pick with recruitment
They could be keeping that option open, yes, but I doubt that decision has been made yet. The early rounds of 2020 will either make or break Deano in my view.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs Player of the Year Will Hopoate extends his time at Belmore
Off the back of an outstanding season, Will Hopoate has pledged his future to the Bulldogs by signing a contract extension keeping him at Belmore until the end of the 2021 season.

Hopoate was outstanding in all facets of his game in 2019.

He played in 24 matches and ran for a superb 154.6 metres per game, in addition to a tackle efficiency rate of 84.2%.

He played in both the full-back and centre positions and his class and consistency led to him being named the Bulldogs Player of the Year.

In addition, he was named at centre in the RLPA Players' 13 Dream Team at their end of season Awards Night.

Head Coach Dean Pay was delighted that Hopoate had extended his time at Belmore :

"Will has just come off an outstanding season and it is great news for the club that he has committed to us until the end of 2021.

He is the heart and soul of everything that we are about and his consistency and toughness are there every week.

He was able to switch from full-back to centre and continue to produce great performances and it was a just reward for him to be named Player of the Year.

We look forward to Will being a big part of our future."

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...ear-will-hopoate-extends-his-time-at-belmore/
I am happy with this.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
These signings tell me that the board will not be re-signing Pay, and whoever comes in to replace him will have first pick with recruitment
Well the only decent replacement for Pay has signed for the Titans. Who do you think will replace him?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Hopoate at fullback but I do like this signing with DWZ on board and Hoppa is a quality player just lacks pace. And only short term deal. Good for the club.

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They could be keeping that option open, yes, but I doubt that decision has been made yet. The early rounds of 2020 will either make or break Deano in my view.
I think they have only kept Pay to "weather the storm"

I reckon they have a few replacements behind the scenes ready to go, and i get this impression because they gave Pay only a years extension along with re-signing players, (previous to there board appointments) till 2021 only.

The only players signed on past 2021 is DWZ, CHN and Stimson and all three players were brought in under there watch.

It smells like there is going to be a massive shake up and we wont see it till late next year

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well the only decent replacement for Pay has signed for the Titans. Who do you think will replace him?
I dont know.

You dont give a coach a one year extension only, unless your Newcastle and Nathan Brown

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good to have Hoppa here for another year. He's a pretty consistent player who has purple patches of form. He's never been among my favorites though. I think his no Sunday clause prevented him from jumping on my favourites list.

It doesn't bother me that it's only for an extra season. If the club keeps working on getting youngsters up to standard, we have the flexibility to make judgements as they progress and focus our cap spending on areas of higher priority. It means more work for the recruitment and retention committee, but I like knowing that if we bring gun players through, we'll be in a strong position to keep them.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I reckon they have a few replacements behind the scenes ready to go, and i get this impression because they gave Pay only a years extension along with re-signing players, (previous to there board appointments) till 2021 only.

The only players signed on past 2021 is DWZ, CHN and Stimson and all three players were brought in under there watch.

It smells like there is going to be a massive shake up and we wont see it till late next year
Flanagan could possibly be Sounded out, given now he’s back in the coaching ranks

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Phew. Time for Jacko!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Not dismissing what you're saying at all (though Deano is currently only signed until the end of 2020 - so a call will have to be made I'd say in the first 8 weeks of 2020 regarding his future - we flop, he's in trouble, we go well, he could be safe).
I've been banging on about my belief of a significant plan being well underway at/for the club. Some seem to agree, others vehemently disagree - before too long we'll all know - but assuming something's cooking, there's little point in saying anything about it this side of Christmas.
Better to start talking about 2021 when everyone is lathered up for 2020.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What’s with the 1 year extensions, a bit strange
Whats so strange? If you haven't noticed everyone has their chance to lock down a spot before a massive clean out for some big signings for 2022. The next 2 years a basically an audition to set up a team for a tilt at the title. Can you not honestly see the plan? Is this why you always lose your shit?

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whats so strange? If you haven't noticed everyone has their chance to lock down a spot before a massive clean out for some big signings for 2022. The next 2 years a basically an audition to set up a team for a tilt at the title. Can you not honestly see the plan? Is this why you always lose your shit?
So fuck 2021 and the reported 8.5 mill to spend ahaah are you fried

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa deserves to stay..!! Good on him, good news.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be 2021? We have to fill the salary cap out. I don't really see a massive difference in 2020 and 2021 if we don't upgrade the squad. There were/are more players available for 2021 then 2022 imo.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So fuck 2021 and the reported 8.5 mill to spend ahaah are you fried
Yeah Fcuk 2020 and 2021. Would rather pick 20 blokes from this squad at the end 2021 and spend the money on the positions WE KNOW we need to fill in 2022.

By waiting one year you pretty much confirm a squad rather than hoping your signings and the kids u drop don't bite u in the arse in 2021 onwards.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be 2021? We have to fill the salary cap out. I don't really see a massive difference in 2020 and 2021 if we don't upgrade the squad.
You think teams don't grow?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You think teams don't grow?
I've said this before but we're expected to finish second last next year. We finished 12th this year. That doesn't look like like growing to me. That's also with more reasons to do better than last season. What you need to take into account is other teams under preforming last year and other teams strengthening for next year.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've said this before but we're expected to finish second last next year. We finished 12th this year. That doesn't look like like growing to me.
We were expected to get the spoon for 2 years straight... We didn't.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We were expected to get the spoon for 2 years straight... We didn't.
You're right. So we did better than expected. Next year is basically the same. I don't really get why we'd go through another year of pain (2021) when our salary cap mess is sorted.