Opinion Hooker Choices for 2022

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's also been plenty of examples were players haven't left when they said they weren't leaving too.

I don't really see the point in signing Kenny either its such a sideways move I'm no fan of JMK but I'd rather keep him and strengthen other areas until 23 when we can get the like of B Smith.
True. Which is why we shouldn't believe anything players, coaches and administrators say. Look at TPJ. Last week he was free to leave, this week Walters said he's staying, now he's free to leave again.

I don't want Kenny either but with Katoa going and Deitz a Reserve Grader, we need two hookers signed for next season. So even if they keep JMK, they might sign Kenny as well. If not him, hopefully a young hooker with more upside that wants an opportunity. Either way, the hooker issue won't get solved this offseason and will likely continue to be a weakness of the squad.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smith gets paid pretty well ( thought round the 550k) to play in a team that wins every week then usually into a GF which they also win regularly, no wonder he seems in no hurry to leave

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like them, but not 30 of them. Just 1 will do!
My point exactly. We have 15 players off contract and no idea who the club's purchasing or negotiating. No idea how one can pick a team.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think its pretty obvious now that Smith will not be leaving the storm.
Hodgson is getting older and is at best, a stop gap option.
There's a few young guys floating around that might be worth looking at as they will improve with experience.
Guys like Cotter, Lussick, Kenny.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't Bellamy say he wants an equivalent swap...
It's simple JMK for Smith, we will all live happily ever after :grinning:

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got anything better to talk about. Let's hear it?
Did you want me to talk about it in this thread or one of the other 30 on the same topic?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My point exactly. We have 15 players off contract and no idea who the club's purchasing or negotiating. No idea how one can pick a team.
From the outside it might look like they are sitting on their hands, they are not...
Most of the 15 players will be replaced by up and comers from the NSW & QLD cups on cheaper rates !
As for the very important positions desperately needed the hooker and prop...Who is available and off contract ???
So are we still prepared to sign rejects just because the right players aren't available...HELL NO !!!

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you want me to talk about it in this thread or one of the other 30 on the same topic?
This thread will do. So what do you want to talk about?

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the outside it might look like they are sitting on their hands, they are not...
Most of the 15 players will be replaced by up and comers from the NSW & QLD cups on cheaper rates !
As for the very important positions desperately needed the hooker and prop...Who is available and off contract ???
So are we still prepared to sign rejects just because the right players aren't available...HELL NO !!!
Agreed!
So far the club has signed Thomson, Cotric and next year JAC, Burton and Naden. Not bad acquisitions for a club struggling at the bottom. We might have signed some lemons along the way as well but which club hasn't.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lately its been the same threads over and over being created. "spine for 2022, fullback for 2022, hooker for 2022, players we need for 2022' every day is deja vu
Not hearing boo out if the club is why these threads are happening, it would be nice to hear something/anything about our goals but as per usual we hear fuck all!!!

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed!
So far the club has signed Thomson, Cotric and next year JAC, Burton and Naden. Not bad acquisitions for a club struggling at the bottom. We might have signed some lemons along the way as well but which club hasn't.
Our lemons stand out more because we're running in the bottom 2.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to apply for a job at the club? I want to apply for the job as head of retention and recruitment.
Just walk into the club and yell I want to be in charge of fucking retention and recruitment or I'll burn the joint down, and don't forget to take your resume

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m aware they are both under contract, but this time of year their is some unhappy people at clubs who are looking to move on (Canberra Raiders, Brisbane Broncos, St George Dragons etc) have a few happy players at their clubs. You say to stay patient, well you’ve heard the term - you snooze you lose. Bulldogs need to wake up or we will all get more of the same on the field next year. The Bulldogs need to make their own luck and/or pull out their cheque book.
The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
Just as an example, we had Meaney playing in another very difficult role IE FB we thought he wasn't good enough so we bought DWZ, we then thought that he wasn't good enough also, so we then bought a FB who played well in the QLD SOO team. Then SUPPRISE SUPPRISE, we finished up wit Meany at FB after all, who has now signed with the Storm, probably because he must have gotten sick of the club trying to sign a better FB than him.
If we get another 9 can we be sure that he will be any better than JMK.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I reckon we could get Trixy for $100...........

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a gun hooker at the Dragons called Tyran Wishart and guess who he is signed with.... the Melbourne Storm! The guys just get identifying talent but maybe that is a sign that Brandon may not be there next year?
He’s actually a 5/8 not a hooker

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s actually a 5/8 not a hooker
He has started 4 games at hooker for NSW Cup and 3 at 5/8. I watched him play a trial earlier this year and he was also at hooker and had a really good running game from there.

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unless there is someone off contract worth chasing, we’re gonna have to wait until Nov 1. That simple. The tampering laws are so clubs don’t pursue contracted players before that deadline, or better yet no announcement is made until then.