Honour your contract Sonny: Gallop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honour your contract Sonny: Gallop

NRL boss David Gallop has urged Bulldogs superstar Sonny Bill Williams to "respect the sanctity of your contract".

Gallop's missive was fired as the Bulldogs last night revealed fears that Williams wants as much as $1 million a season to stay in rugby league.

The Kiwi sensation this week admitted his recent woes at Belmore are money-related, despite the fact he earns more than $500,000 a year when sponsorships are taken into account.

Williams knows he can earn up to double as much playing rugby union overseas, and is tempted by the big money.

But he is contracted to the Bulldogs until the end of 2012, and CEO Todd Greenberg yesterday foreshadowed legal action against any rival outfit that entices him to breach that deal.

Distressed at the damaging innuendo surrounding his code's most marketable star, Gallop last night backed the Bulldogs to stand firm and ensure Williams honours his deal.

"Players must respect the sanctity of their contract," he said. "They go into these deals with their eyes open and clear detail of what they earn under the contract.

"The purpose of the contract is to provide certainty, and when parties try to step outside that it's frustrating for everyone - including the fans."

Greenberg met Gallop for dinner on Tuesday night, and the league boss made it clear there would be no NRL assistance to fund any pay rise for Williams.

The second-rower is refusing to discuss his demands with Bulldogs officials, who will have to wait until next week to meet his manager Khoder Nasser. It is understood Williams' deal does not have any get-out clauses.

Greenberg stressed that the club would not back down, and reiterated its "expectation that Sonny fulfil the remaining four years of his deal".

The Bulldogs have also obtained positive legal advice about their chances of warding off advances from overseas rugby suitors.

"We'll be taking a very dim view of anyone who looks to induce a breach of Sonny's contract," Greenberg said.

Junior DJ

Frank The Tank
Reaction score
he can either stay here , be merry and STFU or , go somewhere else , face legal action and play park football , either way , if he stays in the blue n white , i wont look at him in the same way again .

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
we need him there tbh...just hope he doesnt leave

cLEBrity

Mujnoon
Reaction score
he can either stay here , be merry and STFU or , go somewhere else , face legal action and play park football , either way , if he stays in the blue n white , i wont look at him in the same way again .
Agree,
Once again my respect and many peoples respect for him has DIMINISHED
thanks to a moron in Khodder Nishuh (dirt).
Speaking to people outside the kennel, they are fuming even more than us on here.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I like to think I'm a nice guy - but if I ever see Khoder Nasser in public I will spit on him lol. Seriously.

Is Gallop gonna pony up the dollars like he did to keep Joey in the NRL when Union were knocking on his door?

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, Gallop said he won't. Which is something they never should have done for Joey because now the precedent has been set. Nasser, you're a worm. If only I could give this piece of sh*t my own personal working over.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

gallop should be careful because a lot of players are leaving the nrl and afl is surging.

Yak From Yass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Which is something they never should have done for Joey because now the precedent has been set.
Joey was at the end of his NRL contract; SBW is still tied to his for another 4.5 years. Gallop and the NRL have a strong interest in this and I assume will be keenly supporting the Bulldogs. If SBW is permitted to break his contract without facing ongoing legal action then this will set a very dangerous precedent for the NRL.

G

Gladiator.

he isnt getting any offers because other clubs know that there would be legal action.

if sonny does however breach his contract, does that mean he wont get payed a cent and isnt allowed to play any sport and earn money?

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
One of his main 3rd party sponsors is NIKE. If they are given the boot wouldn't that in itself have an effect on his earnings???????

FarQ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
this nassar thing is obviously a phase, when SBW realises he is on the outter with just about every other player in the NRL & loyal fans turning against him, he is gonna be in a lonely place!,

dogsrareligion

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
he isnt getting any offers because other clubs know that there would be legal action.

if sonny does however breach his contract, does that mean he wont get payed a cent and isnt allowed to play any sport and earn money?
if he breaches his contract he wont be able to play any type of sport in Australia. He would need to go overseas as an australian contract or any type of imbargo on him would not be recognised in another country hence he would be free to play overseas.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I looooove Greenburg. He is a tough dude for a small guy. Good onya and keep up the good work.

Yak From Yass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is my view that SBW is tied to the contract and can only break the contract if he can prove that the Bulldogs are not completing their side of the contract. Therefore, should SBW leave the NRL without gaining a release from the Bulldogs then he and any other party involved in the may be subject to legal action.

Reading between the lines I assume that Nasser is aware of this and the only way he can make money from SBW is to get him "sponsorship", therefore getting a percentage of this deal. Unfortunately "sponsorship" is recognised by the NRL as a third party agreement and therefore adds to the clubs salary cap. This then creates a huge issue for the club and limits their ability to negotiate with other players as the extra payments to SBW counts towards our overall limit.

I assume the issues that SBW has with Management relates to this particular issue

Before anyone suggests the salary cap limit be increased, please note that most Sydney clubs are already struggling, should the limit be increase it will put more pressure on those clubs and I would think that quite a few would fold, something that would be bad for the game. In essence, those that can afford to pay huge amounts of money will survive, those that can't will die. The last thing I would like to see in the NRL is Sydney represented by two teams, the Delmege Sea Eagles and the Politis Roosters.

The Bulldog management and the NRL are adopting the correct approach to this issue, we need to continue to support them.

Yak From Yass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if he breaches his contract he wont be able to play any type of sport in Australia. He would need to go overseas as an australian contract or any type of imbargo on him would not be recognised in another country hence he would be free to play overseas.
Free to play but still susceptible to legal action…… both he and his manager potentially open themselves up to litigation by doing this.

FarQ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is blatant greed on the part of SBW, makes me sick reading about,

i wanna kick Nassar in the cock, really really hard, send his balls up intro his throat!

B

Ben Godberts.

Greenberg is really showing why he is the man to lead us forward

TAS

All In
Reaction score
A Solution to Suit All Parties???

Yes I am upset with what SBW is doing, particularly because he is on contract. No matter how big or small his current contract is, his new manager gets nothing from it as it was entered into prior to him taking on SBW. This is why he would be pushing for a new one so he gets a cut out of it.

I understand theres a salary cap and its there for a reason. Surely though, the NRL could bring in a rule exempting third party sponsorships from being calculated in the cap for the super star players that the NRL wants to keep from going overseas.

We all know SBW will earn a hell of a lot more overseas. The difference in money is staggering and would entice the majority of players. If however, clubs payed their elite players say $400-$500K per year (which seems to be the maximum they can afford under the cap), then that elite player was able to seek as much third party sponsorship as he could without affecting his clubs salary cap, he could end up earning around a million dollars a year or more playing in the NRL. Wouldnt that be a solution for all parties???

The NRL wont keep losing its cream to overseas leagues. Players if good enough, would have the potential to earn much more than they are able to now, and clubs and fans would be happy because they keep their stars without fear of exceeding the salary cap.

Players have a limited time in the game and should be free to make as much money in that time as possible. IMO, this is a win win for all parties and should be introduced by the NRL immediately. If Khodder Nasser is telling SBW that he is such a good manager acting in his interest, SBW should put him to the test by seeing if he can secure him another $500K+ a year in third party sponsorship to remain in the NRL.

My two cents.

H

Haztrick

Makes me feel better tbh. We won't let Sonny walk and nor should be. He is a naive young kid who is being brain washed and we need someone to snap him out of it. Turvey? Joey? Folkes? Moore?

Status
Not open for further replies.