Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Holbrook, Hill and Coach Consolidated Mega Thread

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could be on the sly holbrook has told thompson he’s coming to us and to sign with us ,i find holbrooks comments about re signing and being very non committal about re signing with st helens to me is a big signal he may be leaving i just hope its with us.
Do you know where to find that interview?

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course he isnt going to admit he met with another coach.
Pretty handy to nab both considering they are both at the same club, thompson and holbrook, pity he cant grab another good centre or hooker.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Haven’t they heard of a telephone or email? Seems a long way to go to negotiate. Thompson must be in the bag if he went all the way over there or it’s a smoke screen for something else.....
Or they’re just showing him how much they want him, a face to face meeting is so much more personal and impressionable than an email or phone call.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hasn’t Bennett had a face to face with Thompson also? By the theories in here that means he has already signed with us and the bunnies. Surely that’s not allowed?

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasn’t Bennett had a face to face with Thompson also? By the theories in here that means he has already signed with us and the bunnies. Surely that’s not allowed?
Bennett is the GB coach though, so it’s not clear if he was recruiting for Souths or not

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bennett is the GB coach though, so it’s not clear if he was recruiting for Souths or not
With Bennett telling gurgess that he won’t be re-signed it is pretty clear they would be interested in Thompson.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't. Dude if a shonky shitcunt who knew exactly what he was doing, cheated the system in various ways, and got caught, yet played the victim card.

Only thing I'm annoyed about is he wasn't banned for life with no exceptions.
Just like Inglis right? DUI every day of the week but gets thrown a lifeline by the NRL and saved by the media sob story. That’s life guys. Don’t hate the player hate the game.

You’ll eat your words if he gets another coaching gig and wins another premiership while we’re out handing out flyers about what a nice family club we are. We have fairy floss.. kebabs.. a coach who can’t handle the NRL (don’t worry about that).. we also have stickers. Jump on board.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There was a strong rumour St Helens had a $500k transfer fee on his head. No chance we get him if that is correct.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sh...fused-flanagan-s-welfare-20181220-p50nbx.html
To me at least, it affords a different light to the situation.
He knew exactly what he was doing. NRL spelled it out clearly to him. Just in typical arrogant Flanno fashion he chose to ignore it thinking he was above the rules, but got caught out.

You’ll eat your words if he gets another coaching gig and wins another premiership while we’re out handing out flyers about what a nice family club we are. We have fairy floss.. kebabs.. a coach who can’t handle the NRL (don’t worry about that).. we also have stickers. Jump on board.
Not really. He created another skidmark on the game... let the bloke get a real job.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Thompson is not available till the end of 2020 season.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/pos...g-over-possible-approaches-for-luke-thompson/
18th June 2019

St Helens Chairman Eamonn McManus has issued a warning to South Sydney Head Coach Wayne Bennett after reports in Australia suggested he was preparing to lure Luke Thompson to the NRL.

Bennett is currently in the UK to meet with his England Performance Squad in what is the second of four scheduled meet-ups ahead of Great Britain’s tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

Thompson has been a standout performer for the table-topping Saints this season and still has 18 months left to run on his current deal.

Nevertheless, Wide World of Sports claim than the Rabbitohs are preparing a transfer fee to try and encourage the 24-year-old to make the move down under.

McManus says that Thompson remains a firm part of their plans as they seek to achieve silverware in the years ahead, and added that he will call for an RFL investigation if allegations of poaching by the Australian coach are proven to be true.

Speaking to the Mirror, he said: “My view on it is that if there are any approaches to Luke then it is a complete abuse of power. It’s something that we foresaw when Wayne Bennett was appointed English coach. You’re letting the fox into the chicken coop. This is a coach at an NRL club, not just an Australian who is coaching England as his full-time job. The RFL are paying him handsomely to coach our players, not poach our players. If there is any truth in this then I will be speaking vigorously to the RFL about it. Luke Thompson has got 18 months left on his contract and our intention is that he fulfils it and we want to extend it. We’ve invested 10 years in the lad and he’s one of the best players in a very good side. We believe he can win things and be a key player at St Helens for a very long time.”

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Bennett telling gurgess that he won’t be re-signed it is pretty clear they would be interested in Thompson.
Or he could be talking to him about the GB team. His intentions were called into question at the time as it wasn’t clear in what capacity he was contacting Thompson.