Hodkinson takes blame for Dogs' NRL woes (+ Tolman update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Canterbury NRL halfback Trent Hodkinson didn't look too far around a glum Bulldogs dressing room on Friday night to find someone to blame for his side's misfiring performance against Canberra.

Instead, the second-year playmaker pointed the finger at himself, as he lamented his side's inability to turn territorial dominance into points in the 20-12 loss to the Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

"We had plenty of ball down there and the emphasis was on breaking them eventually, but we didn't get it," said Hodkinson, with Friday night's indifferent display a rare blemish in what had been a bright start to life in the blue and white.

"I probably put my hand up myself for not taking control and coming up with the result for the guys.

"We were just lacking in attack - I don't know what it was. It's just disappointing we didn't capitalise on the amount of ball we had down their end.

"Their defence was solid but we didn't throw much at them."

Adding to the Bulldogs' misery was the fact they ran out a largely full-strength outfit against a Canberra side, missing NSW Origin fullback Josh Dugan and injured quartet, Terry Campese, Matt Orford, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington.

The one notable absentee for the visitors was Blues' hooker Michael Ennis, and it was clear his direction in the middle of the ruck was missed despite a strong debut showing from replacement rake Josh Reynolds.

"It's a huge difference (not having Ennis there), but we trained well all week with Josh in the side. He was exceptional for a guy on debut," Hodkinson said.

"We can't rely on that as an excuse because it's going to happen a few more times. We've got to try and work something out."

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore agreed.

"When you are down in those key areas (with Ennis being out), it's a responsibility that everyone else has to take on, not just that individual, and I thought that was where we lacked tonight," Moore said.

"Individually we didn't play our roles the way we should have. We spoke about mixing it up a little bit in the second half and we didn't stick to what we spoke about.

"When you do that you get beat."

Asked how concerned he was with his side's form as they stretched their losing sequence to three matches, Moore said:

"Our stuff with the footy just wasn't good enough tonight and whenever you perform poorly like that in any area, you have a little concern.

"But I have no doubt we can turn it around next week."

The Bulldogs will have to do it without Aiden Tolman, with scans expected to confirm the hard-working prop will be out for up to six weeks with a medial ligament strain.

http://www.nrl.com/hodkinson-takes-blame-for-dogs-nrl-woes/tabid/10874/newsid/62896/default.aspx

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Credit to Hodkinson for taking responsibility.
Now get out there this Friday and have a blinder

C

chipandchase

Hodkinson should be sacked, but he may just bought himself 1 more week.
Reyonlds has to be on the bench to cover Ennis after he plays Wednesday and to replace Hodkinson in the second half once again.
As soon as we have Keating and Reynolds in the halves we score 2 tries and look good in attack

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reyonlds has to be on the bench to cover Ennis after he plays Wednesday and to replace Hodkinson in the second half once again.
As soon as we have Keating and Reynolds in the halves we score 2 tries and look good in attack

Keating and Reynolds didn't set either of those tries up, Pritchard and Eastwood did. Wouldn't have made a difference if Hodkinson or Reynolds was there

Use your brain for once.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keating and Reynolds didn't set either of those tries up, Pritchard and Eastwood did. Wouldn't have made a difference if Hodkinson or Reynolds was there

Use your brain for once.
Fair dinkum. What an ignorant, arrogant, angry man you are. Try to respect other people's opinions without rubbishing them. And realise that theirs may be as valid as your own. Grow up.

C

chipandchase

Use your brain for once.
you are showing your lack on knowledge once again.
the last try was a set play instigated by Keating at halfback, did we see Hodkinson instigate any set plays? no we didnt.
playing halfback is all about getting the team into the right parts of the field, getting them into the right position to attack, opening up the left and right hand sides of attack.
then being able to make the decision to put on the correct play. We had over 60% of the ball on friday night and not once did we set for any play.
As a halfback, it is his job to set the team for these plays, he is not doing this.

As he is so slow, he cant rely on pace so he has to organise the team, and he is not doing this.

C

chipandchase

Fair dinkum. What an ignorant, arrogant, angry man you are. Try to respect other people's opinions without rubbishing them. And realise that theirs may be as valid as your own. Grow up.
thanks mate, probably a kid on here.
i tihnk it was painfully obviuos when Hodkinson went off that we improved it may have been by coincedence, but it is fact. he has come out and taken the blame, that is very big of him.
but it still doesnt change the facts and the way he played. Lets hope he can change or unfortunately he has to go.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gee we kind of was counting on poor Tolman to come good.
I hope the Bulldogs bust the sour crouts this week so they can concentrate on their attack.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Fcking oath you should blame yourself!!

Have not been this pissed off with a halves performance since the Roberts/Holdsworth days. Even then, I can't remember them being as bad as last night's performance!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
pull your head in mate seriously

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Tolman will be a massive blow. ****it.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keating has to go.

Yes, Hodkinson wasn't much better but everything Keating did was horrible.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Keating was ****ing rubbish along with hodkinson. He has NO idea how to use his outside men.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
i love how chipndribble**** rants about hodkinson yet keating was just as bad. both halves were shocking last night and reyno was just as bad. the only player who looked dangerous was barba and our pack stood up a fair bit. we looked much better when halatau was on in hooker.

we lacked any real leadership and i dont blame keating and hodkinson i just realise losing ennis was a much much bigger blow then i thought. he is obviously our leader but also obviously our big talker. neither of our halves stood up. both as bad as each other despite what idiots say.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
i love how chipndribble**** rants about hodkinson yet keating was just as bad. both halves were shocking last night and reyno was just as bad. the only player who looked dangerous was barba and our pack stood up a fair bit. we looked much better when halatau was on in hooker.

we lacked any real leadership and i dont blame keating and hodkinson i just realise losing ennis was a much much bigger blow then i thought. he is obviously our leader but also obviously our big talker. neither of our halves stood up. both as bad as each other despite what idiots say.
Really? Running from dummy half he was ok but his passing wasnt too good.

C

chipandchase

fuuk you are stupid, honestly, Hodkinson was hooked, why? becasue he was playing terrible.
honestly u must be 10 years old or a gee up becasue u cant be that stupid.
Ryenolds was bad?? what game are you watching or was it past your bedtime?

Line Break

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? Running from dummy half he was ok but his passing wasnt too good.
Reynolds took a year each time to pick the ball up and pass from dummy half - much worse than any hooker I've ever seen

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Keating was ****ing rubbish along with hodkinson. He has NO idea how to use his outside men.
have to agree with you on thsi, as much as i like keating, there was only so many mid field bombs he can put up...morris must be spewing that he aint getting any quality ball

5/8

Loyal Royal Blue & White
Reaction score
Reynolds took a year each time to pick the ball up and pass from dummy half - much worse than any hooker I've ever seen
yeah,i thought i was the only one who noticed that,slow looping passes,defenders were on us when the player got it off dummy half,kevin moores dumass plan of trying to wear teams down is getting soooo **** boring!!

Status
Not open for further replies.