Hindy to be axed in a $1.5m cleanout

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
BESIEGED Parramatta are preparing for the delicate task of tapping four of the club's most experienced stars, including club icon Nathan Hindmarsh, on the shoulder.

The Sunday Telegraph has discovered that coach Stephen Kearney will tell Hindmarsh, Luke Burt, Shane Shackleton and Justin Poore their services will not be required next year.

Backrower Ben Smith, who has a chronic knee injury, is also expected to be part of the $1.5 million cleanout as Kearney looks to develop youth and change the losing culture at the club.

As the entire club bunkered down following Friday night's humiliating 39-6 loss to Penrith, it was revealed:

* THERE is growing frustration among senior players. It was underlined by Shackleton, who yesterday was forced to apologise to Kearney after he criticised the coach on Facebook, posting: "Kearney is F******" when asked why he wasn't part of the NRL side;

* NORTH Queensland young gun Jason Taumalolo rejected an approach to join his younger brother at Parramatta only a fortnight ago;

* AFTER posting only two wins from their past 18 games, Kearney has the worst winning percentage of any Eels coach in 50 years;

* AND star fullback Jarryd Hayne is rated an outside chance of returning from a knee injury this Saturday night against Manly.

It was left to Eels chairman Roy Spagnolo to defend the club's ageing roster, claiming it was up to Kearney as he backed the coach to fix the mess.

"I haven't got a comment on that. We haven't sat down with them yet and we've got total faith in what the coach is doing," Spagnolo said.

"At the end of the day, it's his decision whether he re-signs those guys or not. I've been at the club for a long time and I've seen a lot of those guys grow up from kids.

"But I've stayed right away from it as much as possible to try to give (Kearney) every chance to succeed.

"In 2009, things clicked for us after eight or nine games and you don't go from being a good player to being a bad player overnight. You don't just let blokes go without trying to replace them with someone better, either."

In the wake of the Eels' 0-4 start to the season - their worst in 21 years - the club is facing accusations they have a losing culture.

By calling time on Hindmarsh, Burt, Poore, Shackleton and Smith, the Eels will free up around $1.8 million to re-invest in new talent.

Despite the woeful start, Spagnolo added to chief executive Bob Bentley's support for the coach's five-year plan to turn the club around.

"What's the culture problem? That's a myth. They used to say that when Brett Finch and Mark Riddell were here, but I don't think we've got that at all," Spagnolo said.

Pressed about the perception there was a losing culture among the Eels' senior players, Spagnolo said: "Look, that group of players haven't won a comp. But they've made two grand finals and under Brian Smith they made a hell of a lot of finals series.

"The last 18 months haven't been good, but we've been competitive."

Spagnolo said the Parramatta fans who threw coins at the Eels were not real supporters and backed the club to turn the corner soon.

"There's two types of fans. There's the ones who stick with you through thick and thin and the ones who throw coins.

"Without fans we haven't got a club, so you've got to keep them happy. We're working hard to turn in around."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nathan-hindmarsh/story-e6frexnr-1226309151214

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
If I'm honest, it's Kearney that should be getting a tap on the shoulder... however, I don't think the Eels can afford to pay up his 450k contract clause.. :roflol:

When he took the helm of Parramatta, all the offloads that made them a force, suddenly stopped and hence, the points have also stopped.

Didn't think he could've gone any worse then Anderson, looks like I've been proven wrong, worst Eels coaching record in 50 years. :p

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Kearney clearing out all the 'whites'?

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm honest, it's Kearney that should be getting a tap on the shoulder... however, I don't think the Eels can afford to pay up his 450k contract clause.. :roflol:

When he took the helm of Parramatta, all the offloads that made them a force, suddenly stopped and hence, the points have also stopped.

Didn't think he could've gone any worse then Anderson, looks like I've been proven wrong, worst Eels coaching record in 50 years. :p
I was thinking the same thing. They're run in 09 wad on the back of adlib football with plenty of offloads and 2nd phase. Kearneys first order of business was to structure them and cut out all the passes. That's not who they are. Im sure if they went out and threw the ball around, they would look a much better football team. I still don't think they would be a top 8 side but they would compete at least.

They're just not a great side. Sandow is overrated and doesnt suit Kearneys style of play.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I hope kearney stays as coach, its good to see the scum with 6 wins out of 28 with him "coaching" them

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting rid of Hindmarsh, Burt, Shackleton, Poore and mayb smith in exchange for youth isnt gonna help the Eels performance if they've still got a sh*t coach. Get a new coach and start from scratch.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were cr@pping on about the eels on the sunday roast before, and it annoyed me that our favourite ever coach Kevin Moore had to put his 2 cents worth in.. just punch his lights out please

Alphamale

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd offer him 200k to play front row if the eels let him go. Guy still has heart, just stuck in a losing culture. Be worth it for his 50 tackles and 100m a game, especially if we lose Tolman or stagg and can get him for less cash than either of them for a year or two - guy would have something to prove IMO. Long shot, but if parra dont want him and he'd play prop I think he'll do well for someone.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd offer him 200k to play front row if the eels let him go. Guy still has heart, just stuck in a losing culture. Be worth it for his 50 tackles and 100m a game, especially if we lose Tolman or stagg and can get him for less cash than either of them for a year or two - guy would have something to prove IMO. Long shot, but if parra dont want him and he'd play prop I think he'll do well for someone.
I think hindy would retire than come to us tbh. I don't think we would lose tolman because he signed a 3 yr contract.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i'd be stumped if they let go of hindy. he is one of their few players who always puts in

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting rid of Hindmarsh, Burt, Shackleton, Poore and mayb smith in exchange for youth isnt gonna help the Eels performance if they've still got a sh*t coach. Get a new coach and start from scratch.

A team (no matter the sport) needs a mix of youth and experiance, losing a lot of experiance at once will do more harm than good.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
isent hindmarsh retiring at the end of the season anyway? if so this is a rubbish article as usual

i did hear on the radio today though that a meeting that was meant for tuesday has been brought forward to monday with the coach

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lets just get rid of the Parramatta Eels as a club and put their funding to use in a place that would take the opportunity with both hands. AKA PNG

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How does anyone rate this bloke, 1500000 x worse then Ryan when he quit and in the top three worst players in the nrl currently.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope kearney stays as coach, its good to see the scum with 6 wins out of 28 with him "coaching" them
3 out of the last 4 coaches are S**t, Kearney, Anderson and Smiff!! the only good one they had was Hagan (Ex Bulldog) but he got pretty crook peronally with depression, the Sleezy Eel management team at the time did not make his life any easier either and their fans made it clear that they did not like an Ex Bulldog coaching their team either.

Those jerks deserve what they get and that is Zero results!!!

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets just get rid of the Parramatta Eels as a club and put their funding to use in a place that would take the opportunity with both hands. AKA PNG
great idea, we could use their stadium and change it to "Bulldogs Stadium", construct the Stands so they join all the may round, capacity will be 30,000 in comfort, demolish the Leagues Club and make it into a multi Story Car park

Status
Not open for further replies.