Hickey denies El Masri last home try

Status
Not open for further replies.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn't that Jarrad Hickey wanted to take away from teammate Hazem El Masri's special day, it's just that vanity took over.

Not once but twice the 115kg Bulldogs prop ignored El Masri in support as he lumbered his way to the tryline with just two minutes left on the clock in the Bulldogs' 40-20 win over the Warriors on Sunday.

El Masri's pleas as well as those of the largest crowd to a regular season match in Sydney in 35 years, there to see the Bulldogs veteran play his final home game, fell on deaf ears.

No, Hickey wanted this one for himself, and not even El Masri in support was enough to make him give it up with the man mountain keen on avoiding the dreaded post-season nudie run for all those without a try for the year.

"I'm out of that now so it's all good," Hickey said.

"I don't mind the nude thing, it's the running that I don't want to be doing.

Hickey said he never had any thoughts of looking after his teammate, who zigzagged inside an out in a desperate attempt to catch Hickey's attention

"Just when he came back on the inside I knew I wasn't going to pass it - I was just going myself," Hickey said.

"I don't think he would have got there -he's getting a bit slow in his old age. I saw him there, I threw a dummy

"He's got plenty of tries himself, he'll be right."

The no-try did little to take away from what was, well, an 'El Magic' day, the NRL's leading pointscorer highlighting his prowess with the boot with a perfect eight from eight for a personal haul of 16 points.

The crowd flocked onto the field after the game for a giant all-in photo, but not before a stirring nine-minute video tribute.

"It speaks wonders for him - there's never been a player in the history of the game aside from a grand final where 40,000 plus people have come to say thanks," Moore said.

"I think that won't sink in with Haz for a while but I think that's something special."

A teary El Masri, flanked by his three children and wife Arwa, addressed the crowd, who chanted his name long and hard.

"Nobody expected that not even myself," El Masri said.

"Just to see everyone stick around - I don't know if it can get any better than this.

"It's an unbelievable feeling ... it will be in my head for a long time."

http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...ey-denies-el-masri-last-home-try/default.aspx

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
Haz should have stayed on the outside.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he did the public a favour.... imagine anyone having to see Big Jarrad doa nudie run...i dont think, id cope well seeing that

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wasn't selfish, was smart.

Hickey's big frame got him over the line.

El Masri may have ended up caught.

Besides, Hickey has been playing well enough that he deserves a try to boost his confidence heading into the finals series (where he will play a key role).

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad Hickey scored! Fcking awesome to see a forward make a break, run 20 metres then send it to another forward to score!

Awesome day yesterday.

Malla

Reaction score
was hilarious to see hickey runnin on slow mo lol

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

"I don't think he would have got there -he's getting a bit slow in his old age. I saw him there, I threw a dummy

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ice cold Hickey. Haha

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Last time Hickey gave a try away it was ruled forward.

Tonez

Waterboy
Reaction score

No wonder Hickey can't seem to lose any of the weight. He's been moonlighting as a camera man haha

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He can still score plenty of try's at home.

Im pretty sure he will.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No wonder Hickey can't seem to lose any of the weight. He's been moonlighting as a camera man haha
Hahahaha. It does look like him!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

We got some character in the side ay ... fkn hilarious stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.