Help Re: TV (for you tech heads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Finally upgrading the Tv in my room and i have narrowed my choice down to 3 possibilities:

Samsung 32 " 6 series
Sony 32 " w series
Panasonic 32" G series

All are full HD an 100 hz. The samsung has the usb 2.0 functionality for videoing, but i can get around that with the sony and the panasonic with a media gate.

The contrast ratio is in sonys favour at 50,000, & panasonic and samsung at 20,000 a piece. All are full rotational swivel, in case i want to use it as a PC monitor, as well as PIP mode. They retail at around 1700-1900 but can get any of them for less than 1500.

The panasonic has one of the best panels i have ever seen, even with its far less superior contrast ratio. The quallity of it astounds me everytime.

But im still asking the question as to which one i can get :(

Any tech head information (including your reviews on either brand would be much appreciated).

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Panasonic

I have the Samsung 32 in my room, and we have a Panasonic in the living room

the living room one ****s all over the Samsung

Don't know about the Sony, but I can say the Panasonic >>>>> Samsung

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I work with Tv's and everyone is telling me im being anal about it. I know i am too - but **** me dead. Its a tough choice. The specs point to the sony. But the panel of the panasonic is ****ing awesome.

Neither of them are LED (btw i dont recommend LED tv's just yet for anyone), and all tvs have a 60,000 hour lcd lifespan.

I just remembered as well - if i buy the sony my rep might throw in a blu ray player as a Gift with purchase.

What tv are you looking at btw GB? I might be able to help out with any questions :D

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Isn't contrast ratio arbitrary? I bought an LCD over a year ago now so I'm not up to date with current TVs but I'm sure when I was researching back then I read that true contrast ratios are often different to the numbers in the spec sheet.

You are being anal but I would be too JB because it's something you'll have for a while and you want it to be the best it can be. Not that you could go wrong with any of those brands.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes you could lol

Trust me - one of those 3 i would never buy a tv from. I just put it there so for the mor tech headed people wouldnt ask "why not *****?"

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I work with Tv's and everyone is telling me im being anal about it. I know i am too - but **** me dead. Its a tough choice. The specs point to the sony. But the panel of the panasonic is ****ing awesome.

Neither of them are LED (btw i dont recommend LED tv's just yet for anyone), and all tvs have a 60,000 hour lcd lifespan.

I just remembered as well - if i buy the sony my rep might throw in a blu ray player as a Gift with purchase.

What tv are you looking at btw GB? I might be able to help out with any questions :D

Not exactly sure

But main tv for the living room, 40+ inch, LCD, USB port, full HD

Im leaning towards the Samsung series 6 LCD :o

It is a tough choice lol

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn't contrast ratio arbitrary? I bought an LCD over a year ago now so I'm not up to date with current TVs but I'm sure when I was researching back then I read that true contrast ratios are often different to the numbers in the spec sheet.

You are being anal but I would be too JB because it's something you'll have for a while and you want it to be the best it can be. Not that you could go wrong with any of those brands.

Yeah I heard that too

The spec sheets indicate dynamic ratio, whatever that mean. All brands do it, but still the higher the ratio the better

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Basically there are two main types

Dynamic and native. It depends which one the manufacturer decides to view point.

For example on dynamic, Sony LED's can get a contrast ratio of 3,000. But with its RGB lighting its really 2,000,000 native.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This might help some of you guys who are after a LCD TV

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i have nfi when it comes to TVs and i want to buy a new plasma for my room :(

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
IMO Samsung and Sony have the best picture for LCDs
you need something your happy with.. not what anyone else says.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your going to use as a pc monitor a lot, LCD would be a better option.

If your going plasma, get Panasonic. They make the best plasma's by far. Plasma's are also better for sport, less motion blur.
If your going LCD, i'd recommend the Bravia, Colour is amazing

But you said you work with TV's so you'd know best.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive got a 42inch full hd lg scarlet in my room, 50000 contrast ratio ive had it for 8 months or so now it still turns me on, Go for something with a good contrast ratio

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There older generations were absoutely **** house. They have upped there game though wit the introduction of the scarlett.

Samsung is the brand that im not the greatest fan of. I know that they outsourced some plants to realllllllly chat places in taiwan and malaysia, and that included parts. Thats why they have had really bad batches. Batches of tv's can come in the hundreds and i have heard of several batches being up to 90% faulty (like the xbox in there early stages).

But the 6 series samsung, spec wise, is ****ing amazing. Panasonic (as someone said) have the best plasmas by a looooooooooong shot. Sony have the best LCD's. Samsung is more for the value for money these days. And LG rides with samsung in that boat. Pioneer have officially left the market :-)() Most upsettin day when i heard that. i would take a Pioneer 509 series over any tv for the next 10 years.

BTW if you ever need good deals - let me know :D.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would get a panosonic lcd, but they dont make them in the size Im after

Im looking at getting a 46 inch, I have heard stories of samsung's bad parts and crappy warranty service, so now its advantage Sony (Z series ;))
Although Sony does use Samsungs panel????

Btw JB, Im now expert, But it does sound like the panasonic is the best one based on what you want and your opinion on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.