Hazem El Masri - The legend & a bit about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Player No. 605
Grade NRL
Nickname El Magic
Position Wing
Playing Status
Available
Contract 2009
Height 178cm (5' 10")
Weight 88kg (194lbs)
DOB 1st Apr 1976
Origin Tripoli, Lebanon
Debut Vs Balmain - 31st Mar 1996
Dog Years (14) 1995 , 1996 , 1997 , 1998 , 1999 , 2000 , 2001 , 2002 , 2003 , 2004 , 2005 , 2006 , 2007 , 2008
Rep Caps NSW(1) , Australia(1)

One of the Bulldogs greatest ever players. As Hazem enters his 13th year of first grade football for the club, he stands tall as the Bulldogs highest point scorer and try scorer with 2,060 and 139 respectively.

Hazem passed 2,000 first grade points in the Bulldogs 52-4 win over Canberra on August 12 2007 with a try. He joined an elite group of just three players to achieve the milestone - Daryl Halligan (2,034), Jason Taylor (2,107) and Andrew Johns (2,176).

Hazem is placed equal 1st on the club's first grade games list with 272 - level with club legend Steve Mortimer (272). He became the club's most capped player against Manly on June 22, 2007 when he ran out for his 314th club appearance - only the second player to have played 300 club games for the Bulldogs - the other his coach Steve Folkes, who played 313 games for the Bulldogs across all grades.

The 31-year-old from Tripoli in Lebanon made his way to Australia at the age of 10. He quickly developed a liking towards Rugby League and with his soccer background he managed to form the sharp-shooting right boot we witness today.

Hazem joined the club in 1995 as a 19-year-old fullback and after being a regular member of the Under 21 team, Hazem started the 1996 season playing on the wing in first grade. He was a regular member of the team but was relegated for Shane Marteene late in the season.

In 1997, Hazem played every game in first grade including the 14-15 Preliminary Semi Final loss against Penrith.

In 1998, Hazem started the season in first grade but was relegated for Paul Mellor to become a regular member of the reserve grade team. Hazem broke the record for most reserve grade tries in a season, beating Scott Wilson's 1993 record before playing fullback in the Premiership winning team against Parramatta.

In 1999, Hazem returned to first grade when Daryl Halligan was injured and has secured that wing position for the past eight seasons. Season 1999 also saw Hazem kick his first goal in first grade during the Bulldogs 17-26 loss to Melbourne. He managed to play in the Semi Final against Melbourne where the 'Dogs fell just short - losing 22-24 at the Sydney Football Stadium.

In season 2000, Hazem played every game and finished the season at fullback after Rod Silva was relegated.

With the retirement of Daryl Halligan at the end of 2000, season 2001 saw Hazem appointed as goal kicker and after playing every game that season, he equalled Daryl Halligan's record for the most points in a season (270) and equalled Chris Anderson's record for most tries in a season (19). Hazem played in the crushing 10-52 Semi Final loss against Cronulla.

In 2002, Hazem played every game and finshed the season as the competition's leading point scorer and became the third Bulldogs player to score 100 Club tries. Along the way he broke Paul Langmack's record of 94 consecutive games. The 2002 season also saw Hazem selected to play his only Test for Australia.

In 2003, he played every game and broke the NRL record for the most points scored in a season (294) whilst breaking the record for the most consecutive goals with 35. Hazem played in the 18-28 Preliminary Final loss against the Roosters.

In 2004, Hazem once again played every game and broke his previous record for the most points in a season, being the first player to score 300 points in a season (342). He broke Terry Lamb's club record for the most club tries in a career. Hazem played in the Premiership winning team against the Roosters and scored his 100th first grade try in the 16-13 Grand Final win.

In 2004, Hazem was nominated for the Berries to Bulldogs 70 Year Team of Champions.

In season 2005, Hazem scored 16 points in the Bulldogs 32-39 World Club Challenge loss against the Leeds Rhinos. He then went on to break Daryl Halligan's record for scoring the most points for the club before also breaking Daryl Halligan's record for most first grade points for the club. After playing 174 consecutive first grade games for the club, the sequence was broken when he was injured late in the season.

In 2006, Hazem played every game (2083 minutes) and was the competition's leading point scorer (296) for the fourth time. He managed a goal kicking percentage of just over 86% with 114 goals landed from 132 attempts, whilst scoring 17 tries on his way to breaking Terry Lamb's record for most first grade tries in a career (123). He also broke Terry Lamb's record for the most points in a match when he scored 34 points (four tries and nine goals) against the Wests Tigers in Round 2 at Telstra Stadium. Hazem played in the 20-37 Preliminary Final loss against the Brisbane Broncos.

On July 4, 2007 Hazem made his State of Origin debut at Suncorp Stadium for New South Wales - scoring 10 points from three difficult conversions and a four-pointer in the dying stages to help the Blues to an 18-4 victory.

Hazem was again the NRL top point scorer in season 2007 - the fifth time in his career. He scored 202 points after the regular rounds and added a further eight points to his tally in the finals series (210).

He scored 10 tries, kicked 77/97 conversions, kicked 8/8 penalty goals, missed just one match due to Origin duties and played a total of 2000 minutes of football for the blue-and-whites in season 2007.

In all, he has played 18 Jersey Flegg games (or equivalent), 30 Premier League games (or reserve grade equivalent), seven World Club Challenge games and 272 first grade games.

It would be hard to argue with someone claiming Hazem El Masri to be the best goal kicker the game has ever seen. In his 327 club games, the 31-year-old has scored 174 tries and kicked 762 goals for a total of 2,220 points and is a Life Member of the Football Club.

Other Bulldogs records racked up by Hazem El Masri include:

* Most points in a first grade game: 34 (four tries, nine goals) v Wests Tigers - Round 2, 2006.
* Most tries in first grade: He is currently on 139 - breaking Terry Lamb's previous record of 123.
* Most tries for the club: 174 - 51 more than Terry Lamb's 123.
* Most goals in first grade: He is currently on 752 goals which broke Daryl Halligan's previous record of 630 goals.
* Most points in first grade: 2060 points (139t, 752 g).
* Most club points: 2,220 pts.
* Most club goals: 762 - breaking Daryl Halligan's previous record of 665.
* Most consecutive goals in first grade: 35 - set during Round 23, 2003 vs Manly.

Which team did you follow as a kid?
Bulldogs

Which other sport do you wish you could play at a professional level?
Soccer

Who's the best rugby league player you've seen? Why?
Terry Lamb - he was tough and competitive

Who's the best sportsperson you've seen? Why?
Haile Gebrselassie - he's the best distance runner ever

Which training exercise/drill do you like the least?
4 laps of the field in 5 minutes

What's been the highlight of your league career so far?
2004 Grand Final and State of Origin debut

Which countries are you eligible to play for in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup?
Australia

Last edited by a moderator:

RAMBO

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
wow impressive gotta love him

J

Johnno

Well done Hazem, ther is a bulldog who puts his heart into the Jersey every week even though he has slowed down a bit he still puts in 100 % always

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Pace young man :P

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Wish people would realise they are watching a club legend in action and be grateful they got to see him play, rather than call for his sacking every other week. He will retire soon enough, enjoy having him around while you can. For me he is my favourite dog ever behind Terry lamb.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hazem is the best Lebbo ever born, when I grow up I wanna be like him.
I just wish he would run a bit straighter like Rod silver used to.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Hazem is the best Lebbo ever born, when I grow up I wanna be like him.
I just wish he would run a bit straighter like Rod silver used to.
They relegated rod silva for hazem, he was the one who pushed rod silva out of first grade thats how good he was. how many other players have a resume like that? still some more things to be added aswell.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
kimlo, it is a shame and an honour that an opposition supporter probably knows more about and supports a player who will go down as one of our all time greatest players in the history of this club, than some of those who call themselves Buldogs fans. Thankyou for the time invested in that write up.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
kimlo, it is a shame and an honour that an opposition supporter probably knows more about and supports a player who will go down as one of our all time greatest players in the history of this club, than some of those who call themselves Buldogs fans. Thank you for the time invested in that write up.
I actually know haz personally and I've went down the the dogs hotel and visited omeley sherwin and all them in person cause haz has get me in once :p I see him when he comes down to play the broncos some times and hes the greatest nicest bloke you will ever meet doesn't swear and just so well mannered.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually know haz personally and I've went down the the dogs hotel and visited omeley sherwin and all them in person cause haz has get me in once :p I see him when he comes down to play the broncos some times and hes the greatest nicest bloke you will ever meet doesn't swear and just so well mannered.
Ahh crap, that's no good for me. I swear like a trooper and then some :D

Starrdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice writeup. Wish people would realise they are watching a club legend in action and be grateful they got to see him play, rather than call for his sacking every other week. He will retire soon enough, enjoy having him around while you can. For me he is my favourite dog ever behind Terry lamb.
I second that! Haz for PM

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which team did you follow as a kid?
Bulldogs

Which other sport do you wish you could play at a professional level?
Soccer

Who's the best rugby league player you've seen? Why?
Terry Lamb - he was tough and competitive

Who's the best sportsperson you've seen? Why?
Haile Gebrselassie - he's the best distance runner ever

What's been the highlight of your league career so far?
2004 Grand Final and State of Origin debut

Which countries are you eligible to play for in the 2008 Rugby League World Cup?
Australia

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
A true gentlemen of the game. A blue and white legend forever. Its an impressive list of achievements of what he has done over the years. On ya El-Magic !

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
A bulldogs legend and how often can you say that about players who are still playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.