Official Hastings / Klemmer Swap

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Link: NRL news 2022: Knights trade David Klemmer to Tigers for Jackson Hastings

Newcastle is poised to ship former State of Origin prop David Klemmer down the road to Concord in a player swap with Wests Tigers.

Nine's Danny Weidler reports Tigers five-eighth Jackson Hastings has signed a three-year deal with the Knights and "will start with the club within a week".

In return the Tigers will get Klemmer, who had a good 2022 season form-wise for Newcastle but is eating up a significant chunk of the club's salary cap - believed to be in the vicinity of $800,000 for next season.

The switch will free up a large wad of money for the Knights as they continue their pursuit of a classy halfback.

Klemmer, who turns 29 next month, has played 19 Tests for Australia and 14 Origin games for New South Wales, but has not been seen on the representative stage since 2019.

Many pundits believed he was hard done by to be l eft out of Brad Fittler's Blues squad this year and last.

Hastings, 26, heads to his fourth NRL club, having started his career at the Roosters then gone to Manly, which he left following a bust-up with Sea Eagles captain Daly Cherry-Evans.

1668418588329.png

Hastings spent three years in the Super League in England before joining the Tigers this year.

He helped the club to a mid-season revival of sorts, but ultimately was not in new coach Tim Sheens' plans for season 2023.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Link: NRL news 2022: Knights trade David Klemmer to Tigers for Jackson Hastings

Newcastle is poised to ship former State of Origin prop David Klemmer down the road to Concord in a player swap with Wests Tigers.

Nine's Danny Weidler reports Tigers five-eighth Jackson Hastings has signed a three-year deal with the Knights and "will start with the club within a week".

In return the Tigers will get Klemmer, who had a good 2022 season form-wise for Newcastle but is eating up a significant chunk of the club's salary cap - believed to be in the vicinity of $800,000 for next season.

The switch will free up a large wad of money for the Knights as they continue their pursuit of a classy halfback.

Klemmer, who turns 29 next month, has played 19 Tests for Australia and 14 Origin games for New South Wales, but has not been seen on the representative stage since 2019.

Many pundits believed he was hard done by to be l eft out of Brad Fittler's Blues squad this year and last.

Hastings, 26, heads to his fourth NRL club, having started his career at the Roosters then gone to Manly, which he left following a bust-up with Sea Eagles captain Daly Cherry-Evans.

View attachment 61193

Hastings spent three years in the Super League in England before joining the Tigers this year.

He helped the club to a mid-season revival of sorts, but ultimately was not in new coach Tim Sheens' plans for season 2023.
Good deal for Tigers and Knights. Knights need a 7 and probably can afford to lose klemmer and play both the Saifitis at 8/10. Tigers boost their already strong pack and set a platform for the spine.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It’s a logical move for both clubs tbh. Klemmer is on massive overs. Hastings is about to be.

Realistically both 500/600k top players though no doubt both on 800k now with knights going after him and desperate.

We could use both quiet badly though neither are exactly perfect nor stars.

I’m hoping if we aren’t having a red hot crack at Hastings we are landing a bigger fish for 7 and only bloke available is Moses and I can’t see him leaving eels but who knows.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s a logical move for both clubs tbh. Klemmer is on massive overs. Hastings is about to be.

Realistically both 500/600k top players though no doubt both on 800k now with knights going after him and desperate.

We could use both quiet badly though neither are exactly perfect nor stars.

I’m hoping if we aren’t having a red hot crack at Hastings we are landing a bigger fish for 7 and only bloke available is Moses and I can’t see him leaving eels but who knows.
Klemmer is a terrible buy, was past it in todays game hence why newcastle are desperate to flick him.
hastings while a very good player, is coming off a nasty injury which will effect his speed in the short term and he is already slow as the tigers identified him as a lock not a 7.
my mail was we werent talking to eaither of them and thankfully it was correct.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer is a terrible buy, was past it in todays game hence why newcastle are desperate to flick him.
hastings while a very good player, is coming off a nasty injury which will effect his speed in the short term and he is already slow as the tigers identified him as a lock not a 7.
But @David holland said we were getting Klemmer home lol

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the go with Hastings been rejected by more clubs than Flanagan ?? No superstar but decent role player. Assume he was not on mega bucks so wouldn’t be salary cap related.
Tiges pick up another overpaid player in decline in Klemmer. Glad we weren’t tempted to give the big pussy a second chance.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not saying either are stars but both are upgrades on our current set up.

Though as I said hardly devastated we aren’t in that convo. Klemmer is definitely past it and the game has passed his style. Though Vaughan is a big loss. Huge in my opinion. Tpj may move to help king. Thompson may finally deliver. Though I have huge ? On the role Vaughan played and losing him.

Is there better options than Klemmer? Absolutely.

Hastings similar story. Bloke is a galaxy ahead of flopagun. That said I have no doubt knights signing him for 3 years is a poor choice. 2 years tops. Injury proned. Slow as fuck. Clearly fucks alot of people off.

Though he’s a very good talker and solid for organising a squad. Could work well for burton.

Though no doubt he’s being paid stupid $ by knights and I’d be much much much happier seeing Moses or George Williams or someone like this recruited. Hopefully Gus comes back with one of them and another quality prop. I know theirs been talk of Leinu in the media. There was links to haas. There’s been names like leota dreamed about on here lol. Who knows though I’m sure Gus is cooking something up and all those blokes shit on Klemmer for another few years. Especially the way he left us.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not saying either are stars but both are upgrades on our current set up.

Though as I said hardly devastated we aren’t in that convo. Klemmer is definitely past it and the game has passed his style. Though Vaughan is a big loss. Huge in my opinion. Tpj may move to help king. Thompson may finally deliver. Though I have huge ? On the role Vaughan played and losing him.

Is there better options than Klemmer? Absolutely.

Hastings similar story. Bloke is a galaxy ahead of flopagun. That said I have no doubt knights signing him for 3 years is a poor choice. 2 years tops. Injury proned. Slow as fuck. Clearly fucks alot of people off.

Though he’s a very good talker and solid for organising a squad. Could work well for burton.

Though no doubt he’s being paid stupid $ by knights and I’d be much much much happier seeing Moses or George Williams or someone like this recruited. Hopefully Gus comes back with one of them and another quality prop. I know theirs been talk of Leinu in the media. There was links to haas. There’s been names like leota dreamed about on here lol. Who knows though I’m sure Gus is cooking something up and all those blokes shit on Klemmer for another few years. Especially the way he left us.
agree hastings is alot better option than flannagan, but he is desperate buy for 3 years. klemmer hasnt played rep footy since 2019 and there is a reason for it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I am still relying of my sources, that Taupau will either be heading to Souths or the Bulldogs. The Klemmer rumour was never happening, btw he's turning 29 next month and is too slow for the game. There are way more front rowers who are better.
You don't have sources

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am still relying of my sources, that Taupau will either be heading to Souths or the Bulldogs. The Klemmer rumour was never happening, btw he's turning 29 next month and is too slow for the game. There are way more front rowers who are better.
Still flogging the same fn horse..BTW Marty is nearly 4 years older than Klemmer!! Turns 33 in feb.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mate taupau is 4 years his senior and much much slower… what are you talking about

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate taupau is 4 years his senior and much much slower… what are you talking about
Ok, what if we don't sign Taupau? He's the only prop off-contract for 2023. Do you have any other prop in mind, that is available for 2023 mate? We are short on front rowers. Josh Jackson and Ava Seumanufagai retired.