Opinion Has anyone got any news on how the Bulldogs players have been going in the off season?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ciraldo tweaked it by moving him from right centre where it is often a lot harder to defend to left centre

maybe That’s also why he got shifted late last year in reserve grade from right to left centre

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from the open training session on thursday
Went for nearly 3 hours
This is what I picked up ;
- burton will not be captian. Very very quiet. It’s down to Mahoney, fox, rfm, and king. I still believe it will be co captains.

- Hayze perham will start the year at fullback unless he has an absolute shocker in the trials.

- alomoti and averillo centres, alomoti just slightly ahead of burns at this stage.

- nu brown will be the 14 jersey

- Ryan Sutton is a definite member of the 17 if not has a mortgage on the lock pos

- max king played prop not lock

- Reed is a freak and is very impressive during drills and fitness

- Khaled will start the year at fullback in reggies

- rfm played right side

- Jacob Preston will be a household name amongst real bulldogs fans by seasons end

- Cory waddel was trash and was in Reggie’s side all session

- pele and Patolo not up to fg at this stage

- tpj will play middle and not edge

- flanagan had some very nice touches however his kicking tan is still abysmal

- kikau was on light duties and is still conditioning back into 100-%

alomoti was given a work over in defence and they are really trying to bring his def up to scratch by round 1. The fox non stop into him and a perfect foil To have next to him even though his fav position is right centre, ciraldo won’t go with Kiraz and alomoti on the right. It’s much easier to defend on the left centre pos than right.

- we won’t have trouble scoring points but defensively at centre is a concern

- here goes my predicted 1-barring injuries and at full sttength

1. perham
2. Kiraz
3. Aberillo
4. Alomoti
5. Ado carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Mahoney (c)
10. King
11. Rfm
12. Kikau
13. Sutton
14. nu brown
15. Tpj
16. Preston
17. Davey

sorry for the lengthy post
Can’t wait for season kick off

camaraderie is high and the buzz word on the line is Belmore
A lot of that is unsurprising yet satisfying, because to me, Ciro has made smart decisions, e.g TPJ playing prop. Not surprising as he played there in his cameo with Penrith. Also, his best position. Just give him a simple job. Hard runs and offload when it’s on. Same re: King. He’s a good straight up and down prop. Like what I’ve seen of Sutton in the 13 too.

Now there are a few surprises, like Avo taking a centre spot. Like I said in my previous post, it’s his best position, I’m just surprised that they will play him there with the other options available. That said, he’s got a few years of NRL behind him now, so knows what it’s about. He also has pace! The biggest flaw of Burns.

Also a bit surprised Rajab playing fb.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Reed has already been told he is captain, it was part of bringing him over but not 100% sure if vice or C at this stage

Ciraldo tweaked it by moving him from right centre where it is often a lot harder to defend to left centre

maybe That’s also why he got shifted late last year in reserve grade from right to left centre
Didn’t brandy play right last year? He did in the finals series

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
A lot of that is unsurprising yet satisfying, because to me, Ciro has made smart decisions, e.g TPJ playing prop. Not surprising as he played there in his cameo with Penrith. Also, his best position. Just give him a simple job. Hard runs and offload when it’s on. Same re: King. He’s a good straight up and down prop. Like what I’ve seen of Sutton in the 13 too.

Now there are a few surprises, like Avo taking a centre spot. Like I said in my previous post, it’s his best position, I’m just surprised that they will play him there with the other options available. That said, he’s got a few years of NRL behind him now, so knows what it’s about. He also has pace! The biggest flaw of Burns.

Also a bit surprised Rajab playing fb.
I guess there's Hayward and BBO. Probs giving him a bit of a run there to keep in the side when BBO comes back.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reed has already been told he is captain, it was part of bringing him over but not 100% sure if vice or C at this stage

Didn’t brandy play right last year? He did in the finals series
That’s his favoured spot but got moved to left if my memory serves me right by years end

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh i have a feeling flanno will improve a lot this year. I think he never nailed his role last year with burton new to the side. And Ciraldo should make a difference there. Just a hunch for now. Could be wrong.
It’s a contract year for Flanno so he’ll have his best year. I just don’t see him as the long term dogs half. And I won’t be surprised if grub makes the 30 and takes his spot midway through the season.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s his favoured spot but got moved to left if my memory serves me right by years end
I vaguely remember Brandy playing on the left for some time. Wasn’t Skelton at right centre? I can remember him having a very good game on that side, but not sure if he was playing centre. Anyway, it will be interesting if brandy plays left, because he was great at offloading to his winger on the right. Defensively though, a worry..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

might sound like a silly question but why is it harder to defend out at right centre compared to the left side?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
might sound like a silly question but why is it harder to defend out at right centre compared to the left side?
Right to left pass and right to left sweep easier to execute amongst majority of players
Also if you get a chance listen to the yktr sports recent podcast they identified in the present game teams stack their left side with their predominant attacking and creative players
Think south woth walker latrell Aj
Think Penrith with luai kikau tago too etc
Raiders Jack wighton whitehead cotric

sorry I hope that makes sense

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Went for nearly 3 hours
- burton will not be captian. Very very quiet. It’s down to Mahoney, fox, rfm, and king. I still believe it will be co captains.

- Hayze perham will start the year at fullback unless he has an absolute shocker in the trials.

- alomoti and averillo centres, alomoti just slightly ahead of burns at this stage.

- Ryan Sutton is a definite member of the 17 if not has a mortgage on the lock pos

- rfm played right side

- Jacob Preston will be a household name amongst real bulldogs fans by seasons end

alomoti was given a work over in defence and they are really trying to bring his def up to scratch by round 1. The fox non stop into him and a perfect foil To have next to him even though his fav position is right centre, ciraldo won’t go with Kiraz and alomoti on the right. It’s much easier to defend on the left centre pos than right.

1. perham
2. Kiraz
3. Aberillo
4. Alomoti
5. Ado carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Mahoney (c)
10. King
11. Rfm
12. Kikau
13. Sutton
14. nu brown
15. Tpj
16. Preston
17. Davey

That bench :sweat:

Foxalldayeveryday

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went for nearly 3 hours

- rfm played right side

1. perham
2. Kiraz
3. Aberillo
4. Alomoti
5. Ado carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Mahoney (c)
10. King
11. Rfm
12. Kikau
13. Sutton
14. nu brown
15. Tpj
16. Preston
17. Davey

Legend. Thanks for the post mate.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We need another middle forward
Even though I loved morrin ms brief stint he is way too small imo
Patolo is trash and pele needs a lot of work in defence
That’s why i originally thought rfm would play middle with davey and Preston on an edge
Yup. Panther only really played with one out and out prop on the bench last season so Ciraldo could be following a similar formula i guess. More pressure on the backs to carry the ball early and higher expectations from the forwards defensively.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We need another middle forward
Even though I loved morrin in his brief stint he is way too small imo
He got crunched today at training numerous times
Patolo is trash and pele needs a lot of work in defence
That’s why i originally thought rfm would play middle with davey and Preston on an edge
That last part then is what they may have to do, Ray in the middle and off the bench?

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mahoney’s passing is crisp
Max king did a lot with Mahoney in the middle
Mahoney will definitely run the ball more
I’m just worried about being one middle to short
A lot hinges on tpj
If he fires than it’s wowwwwwww
What did you think about Thommo at first receiver ?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What did you think about Thommo at first receiver ?
I’d rather him run off the back fence and stick to his leg drive
But if it adds another string to his bow than fair enough

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d rather him run off the back fence and stick to his leg drive
But if it adds another string to his bow than fair enough
I didnt like it... In my opinion it stifled the whole shift play. The only time I want to see a forward at first receiver is when he lays it off to another forward NOT a fukin half.

Thommo punching holes in behind the ruck is what we need with Reed bouncing off the back of his play the balls.

We are defnitely a work in progress, we will win games but honestly not expecting to much in the first 10 rounds tbh.