Hannant Vs Tolman

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is 22, Give him time and he will be immense.

Potential.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
good way to put it, he needs a bigger frame to make more impact, and then couple that with his high work rate, and he will become a feared front rower
O'Meley...as great as he was for us... could have also been a little bit bigger too.... even at
his peak, he got dominated by bigger guys like Chris Beattie on occasions.....

But I guess you can't have everything... the guys that run hard and have big hearts are in the
Tolman , O'Meley and Fui Fui moulds.... the big dopey ones with the size are usually fat and lazy like
Hickey and Ryles =(

Spudowsky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The lack of a wrestling coach will help with the dominating of a tackle as well. And ill push it one step further, will help with faster play the balls. If you have a look at another young prop in Tim Mannah - I have never seen this bloke get put on his back more than once in a game (and even that is rare). He always pushes and wrestles to land on his stomach which eventuates in a quicker play the ball.

Now look at Sam and Tolman. Always pushing onto their back or turned over, effectively slowing down the PTB. We have hired a wrestling coach for next season, so hopefully this will help out. I am more than happy with Tolmans development, and if there were any other coach at the helm of NSW, he would of been a starting prop for us. He does the hard yards, gets in for the tackles, and by all accounts, is a champion off the field.
Thats exactly what i was thinking. We had the slowest play the balls of any team. That makes it hard to put a dent in the defence line.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hannant 2009 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Tolman 2011

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Tolman will not be shouldering so much load next year with James Graham here, also with Kasiano & Taupau improving their game aswell.

Pretty much what Jaybee & Btrain are getting at.

Dogestylz

Loud and Proud
Reaction score
Hannant on 09 form, but Tolman for heart and consistentcy this year, Plus i think Hannant is injury prone now and another reason why the dogs let him go a good reason i think. Kasiano and Taupau and Graham for 2012 will help balance our forward pack having 2 fat blokes up front doesnt mean you win a premiership, ask manly after they go out the back door this year with i wanna another meat pie Rose

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Hannant>>>>>>>Tolman right now and its not even debatable. I love Tolman and all the work he does but as people have said he has a high work rate but doesnt have much of an impact. He needs to develop a short ball, off load and some foot work etc. to become a better player and as he is still young im sure he will.

But as of now, Hannant is better and has a greater impact on the game but with time Tolman will get better and improve these areas of his game.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
The other thing people forget is just how much Tolman stood out in Melbourne's packs. I know the Storm somehow can make any peasant prop into a good front rower but Tolman was their whole engine room for a few seasons and was standing out each week then. That's why he was such an impressive signing at the time. He'll get much better when the rest of our team isn't so pathetic and doesn't pull it's weight.
Not really true with him at Melbourne, they had the likes of White, Lima etc. who did alot of the hard work, Tolman was good but played in a dominant team then and wasnt the engine room leader.

At the dogs, he is our engine room leader and needs to improve his game and become stronger and get the forwards going. With Graham coming, it will help him out along with the development of Sam and Marty.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not really true with him at Melbourne, they had the likes of White, Lima etc. who did alot of the hard work, Tolman was good but played in a dominant team then and wasnt the engine room leader.

At the dogs, he is our engine room leader and needs to improve his game and become stronger and get the forwards going. With Graham coming, it will help him out along with the development of Sam and Marty.
White and Lima both missed a lot of games through injury and suspension. There were lots of games where Tolman was the main front rower in the team. I agree that Tolman has major flaws and doesn't bend the line, he also gets dominated way too much. He needs to work on things in his game and learn off how guys like Scott, Price and Petero run the ball but he'll also be much better off a second year into a new club and with more support hopefully in a team that isn't the rabble ours generally is.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's always talk about workrate, metres gained, tackles made and the bend the line bit. But how about attitude?

Hannant was 24 years old when he came in 2009 with a reputation that promised the world. In 2009 he was okay, in 2010 he was a number maker upper who wanted to get out as quick as he could.

Tolman is just 22 years old, but he's having a go. For most of this season he performed as good / badly as the rest but when Jim Dymock took over he started playing better and finished the season well. His workrate is incredible.

There's no way that I'd want Hannant here over Tolman.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Tolman, Graham, Kasiano and Marty... Engine room will be pumping next season!

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I'll take Tolman over Hannant at the moment, not just for his workrate in hitups, metres made and tackles - but for his effort. I don't think I saw Tolman half arse a game this season, he put everything in and got little return due to our rubbish one out play up the middle, relying on pretty much only him to go forwards for the majority of the year.

Plus he has heart, how many times did we see the opposition score a runaway try with virtually on Tolman giving chase?

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One year has gone since Hannant left, after seeing what Tolman has offered would you take Hannant back?
tolman looks good in stats but has no impact i actually hate watching him play its the same thing hit up and tackle sure you need that but a good forward can bend the line spin out of tackles and has an offload in him, Tolman is just a sold player Hannant was a freak still is spewing we lost him, id rather a tapau over Tolman.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I felt a little bit sad about having Hannant in our team after watching how hard he played in the origin squads every year and how little effort he seemed to put in for us in comparison.

Tolman is a different style of player in that he's currently more of a workhorse who gets his yards by repeatedly putting his hand up rather than being the one we expect to bend the line whenever he gets the ball. I'd much rather Tolman TBH.

I haven't seen too much of how Graham plays but i'm hoping that he's able to bend the line every time he gets the ball and play a reasonable amount of minutes. If we can have one hardworker in there (Tolman) coupled with Kaisano and Graham to dominate the opposition i think our prop rotation will be ok. Eastwood can also be used for impact off the bench as well as guys like Payne etc.

At stages this season i thought the attitude in our engine room was lacking a lot and i think this is where we need consistency next year. Play hard or play NSW cup should be their motto next season.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The team missed a Hannant like 1st hit up prop that could bend the line back and get a quick play the ball that could set the set up. Tandy was a little similar in he bent the line and offered an offload. Hopefully Graham can be the prop that starts the set of 6 and Tolman on the back of the quick play the ball can rip in. I would like to see him develop an offload. Hannant was great in 09 but when he got homsick he lost the desire

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He wasn't the biggest and the best but considering the boots he filled and the number on his back he kept turning up, didn't do his knee in and kept trying, hope he develops his game and keeps trying.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I would take a team full of Tolmans over Hannants

Hannant smacks of girl

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would take a team full of Tolmans over Hannants

Hannant smacks of girl
I don't know what kind of girls you date, mate. 6ft tall, 110kg Mormon girls aren't my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.