News Hands off: Panthers’ plan to keep young stars away from Barrett’s Dogs

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I know damn sure we didn’t have the superstars back then that Roosters had. Our guys became stars in 2004 apart from a few ala Vagana...
that's why I feel our breach led to goodness and the 2004 title, like we were forced to bring in the young ones and go for replacements like willie tonga

if we kept rauhihi then there might be less asotasi for example

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like the penny panthers are starting to panic. Personally I think the raid is on, that might be why Barrett is yet to be officially announced as signed sealed and delivered as our next coach. While the contract remains unsigned no one can accuse Trent of poaching for the dogs, it all remains hearsay.

Last edited:

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
well well well, look who wrote the article, I used to like this guy now all he is now is a fucking glory hole cocksucker!!!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They want to turn Burton into a ball-playing forward. He’d be stupid to go for that when he can make twice the money as a half.

Crichton will stay but if Burton has a good circle they’ll tell him to get out whilst there is a bit of hype around him before he is forgotten in reserve grade.

If our shit Crichton can get his bro to come over we should over him a 10 year deal for his help

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have 4 halves. May has been picked ahead of Burton.
Thats because May can play hooker as well. He has been picked at 14 in front of Burton (not at 5/8th)

Still doesnt make sense for them to let him go. They have signed Burton at minimum wage until next year.

Lets say for instance Jack Cogger had a few good games last year and looked like a great prospect but couldnt get a run because Foran and Lewis were playing great this year (try to keep a straight face). Penrith make an offer for Cogger because they need a half. Why would we let him go if we have a cheap option there as a back up ??

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because of this let’s take all of them and if they think other clubs aren’t interested their kidding themselves

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why would they let him go ?

It serves them no purpose. What happens if Luai gets injured mid way through next year ?

I agree they wont keep him beyond 2021 but they are in a very good position until the end of next year with the 3 halves they have. Burton would be on a minimal contract so even if he kicks stones it makes no difference to the Panthers.

I am not saying it wont happen. I am just saying if I was the Panthers there is no way I would let him go. He knew he had Luai and Cleary in front of him when he signed.

The bulldogs board would bend over and let the player manager sodomise them. I dont think the Panthers board will
Once again burton isn’t picked in penny’s 17. Only a matter of time till his manager gets in his ear and tells him every week you don’t play your contract value goes down big time

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again burton isn’t picked in penny’s 17. Only a matter of time till his manager gets in his ear and tells him every week you don’t play your contract value goes down big time
Yep I agree that his manager will do that

But that doesnt answer the question. Why would the Panthers let him go ??

Normally the answer is because clubs dont want a player who doesnt want to be there and they can free up cap space by letting him go. But Burton would be on fark all dollars so he wouldnt free up anything worthwhile

Matterson did so at the Tigers but he was on $400k+ there. They signed Luciano Leilua in his place which has worked out ok for them because Matterson didnt want to be there

I reckon Burton would be lucky to be on $100k. Who could they sign for $100k ????

Disclaimer - please dont answer the above question with "95% of the bulldogs roster"

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Panthers are so cute with their little threats. They expect us not to go after their players even though they're leading the comp, have a shitload of juniors and have a great attacking coach (who we just stole).......yeah right. If only the Roosters have left us alone instead of stealing half of our squad or the cowboys had not stolen one of our gun juniors in 2005.....what was his name again?

Its very simple. If Burton is a huge Panthers fan and is happy playing lock for them then we wont get him. Otherwise, we're in the box seat to nab him. The good thing about these stories is that even if we was in the process of extending his contract, this has put the whole thing on pause. At the very least his manager will tell him to wait for our offer even if it's just used as a bargaining chip to get more coin from the Panthers. The advantages we have are:
  • Coach
  • More money (than Penrith)
  • Starting spot in his preferred playing position
Based on these factors, I'm very confident we'll get him. The question is when - is it for 2021 or 2022?

Crichton is a different story. He's already well established but it depends what position we're recruiting him for - center or fullback. At fullback we might have a chance if Penrith see him as a center.

Considering Burton is a half, he is more important. Just stoked that we seem to be going after guns, and are a genuine chance of landing them, instead of these fucking plodders. I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like the penny panthers are starting to panic. Personally I think the raid is on, that might be why Barrett is yet to be officially announced as signed sealed and delivered as our next coach. While the contract remains unsigned no one can accuse Trent of poaching for the dogs, it all remains hearsay.
My thoughts exactly.!!!

Malla

Reaction score
Lol good luck
If he wants to go he’ll go

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The guy is kidding himself if he thinks 4 FG quality halves are going to just sit around at 1 club waiting to take a turn or miss their career in FG. LMAO the kids will decide what's best for themselves.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep I agree that his manager will do that

But that doesnt answer the question. Why would the Panthers let him go ??

Normally the answer is because clubs dont want a player who doesnt want to be there and they can free up cap space by letting him go. But Burton would be on fark all dollars so he wouldnt free up anything worthwhile

Matterson did so at the Tigers but he was on $400k+ there. They signed Luciano Leilua in his place which has worked out ok for them because Matterson didnt want to be there

I reckon Burton would be lucky to be on $100k. Who could they sign for $100k ????

Disclaimer - please dont answer the above question with "95% of the bulldogs roster"
You hit the nail on the head with matterson. Another example was our own Morgan Harper. Even though we don’t have any centre’s our club still wasn’t playing him cause he signed for manly and then we ended up releasing him cause it’s best for both parties. No one knows what burton is going to do but if he signs else where for 2022 then there no point of penny keeping him like the Harper scenario. Plus penny can promote one of there other juniors in there top 30

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who’s to say Barret said he wants them signed? Unless he comes out and says it himself then he hasn’t breached shit. We could approach them as the bulldogs without Barret asking to or not. Of course what Barret says who he wants or doesn’t want behind closed doors is no one else’s business ;).

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who’s to say Barret said he wants them signed? Unless he comes out and says it himself then he hasn’t breached shit. We could approach them as the bulldogs without Barret asking to or not. Of course what Barret says who he wants or doesn’t want behind closed doors is no one else’s business ;).
We've been sniffing around Chricton for a while according to the drunk Rothfield - even when Pay was still coach so they cant accuse Barrett of trying to poach Chricton. I assume the same is true with Burton.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head with matterson. Another example was our own Morgan Harper. Even though we don’t have any centre’s our club still wasn’t playing him cause he signed for manly and then we ended up releasing him cause it’s best for both parties. No one knows what burton is going to do but if he signs else where for 2022 then there no point of penny keeping him like the Harper scenario. Plus penny can promote one of there other juniors in there top 30
Yep fair point . But .....

Harper was off contract after 2021. Burton isn’t

And Burton kind of shits all over Harper in terms of talent

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Lafai is not playing this week?
He may not be the greatest centre in the world but at least he is first grade material.

Another thing: how bad are we under the high ball this year? My gosh we have fb and wingers that can’t catch.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes these idiots at Penrith think that only the bulldogs will be chasing these young kids, before they know it the rorters will jump in and snatch them both because they are 6 million under the cap currently.
Fuck penrith

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Lafai is not playing this week?
He may not be the greatest centre in the world but at least he is first grade material.

Another thing: how bad are we under the high ball this year? My gosh we have fb and wingers that can’t catch.
My guess would be that his contract isn't registered with us just yet.