News Half chance: Hutchison finally gets first shot at No.7 jersey

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Serious concern now, (having observed Burto's ability to adjust to different situations), that he is capable of handling, and adapt, to the change to fullback and probably can see this option for him has unfortunately closed?
I hope it doesn't come to that...
Serious concerns if ultimately Burton doesn't succeed at 5/8, given we have so many centres he should be asked the question of how comfortable he would be moving to fullback, if it works it would be a master stroke !
IMO If it doesn't happen for him at 5/8 we shouldn't persist causing the team to suffer as a result !!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope it doesn't come to that...
Serious concerns if ultimately Burton doesn't succeed at 5/8, given we have so many centres he should be asked the question of how comfortable he would be moving to fullback, if it works it would be a master stroke !
IMO If it doesn't happen for him at 5/8 we shouldn't persist causing the team to suffer as a result !!!
100 %
Or Critta goes to FB.
Burto needs to consistently aim up to his fulfill his potential, class and paypacket.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This might work :grinning:
1 Burton
2 Kiraz
3 Crichton
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Hutchison 7 Sexton 14 Taaffe " these 3 not necessarily in this order "
Legit question, why do you prefer Crichton right side with Kiraz ?

Personally I feel his defence, voice, and talents are best served on the left side where he can push Burton, direct JAC, cover for him and keep him in position, plus he can help get good ball to Kik’s ..

Also Xerri on the right, JAC on the left, gives the team lethal speed on both left & right sides ..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Legit question, why do you prefer Crichton right side with Kiraz ?

Personally I feel his defence, voice, and talents are best served on the left side where he can push Burton, direct JAC, cover for him and keep him in position, plus he can help get good ball to Kik’s ..

Also Xerri on the right, JAC on the left, gives the team lethal speed on both left & right sides ..
The number on their backs doesn't determine what side they play on.

Last edited:

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Defence is the reason for sure. Sexton whilst not a world beater is the better option in almost every other aspect.

I guess CC has to make this call based on our defensive atrocities from last season.

Burton is also a big body also but defensively deficient. I think Sexton misses out on the account of not being able to carry two halves that cannot tackle which is unfortunate.

Sexton offers more with the ball though. Without size and go forward in the middle. Our playmakers are going to struggle to create points.

Having a total left side kicking dominance is also going to make it critical sets are finishing in the right area of the field. With Burto, Hutch & Critta all lefties. Taaffe might have to be used as a right foot kicking option.

I hope it all works out. Most importantly I hope if it isn’t working. CC recognises quickly and make the adjustments required. Before the season slips away.
That will be the tester won't it. CC didn't recognise much of anything that needed adjusting last season.
The less effective Burtons mid field bombs were the more the coach made him persist with them and gave the opposition a constant leg up.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Put what ever number you want on him but he is an organizing half. How good is debatable. I guess we'll see over the next few weeks.
He is not an organizing half. Never has been before.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm happy enough to wait and see, not that convinced Sexton is better but hey he could be.
My question is when did Sexton become quick? I know Hutch isn't but I didn't realise Sexy was considerably quicker.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm happy enough to wait and see, not that convinced Sexton is better but hey he could be.
My question is when did Sexton become quick? I know Hutch isn't but I didn't realise Sexy was considerably quicker.
Sexton doesn’t need to be quick to be considered quick when comparing him to Hutch.

There is the age old question that never gets answered. “Who is the quickest player in the NRL?”

If there was a race to determine the slowest player in the NRL. Hutch would be odds on in the betting.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thought sexton would start the season tbh but hopefully Hutchison can show why he was chosen

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sexton doesn’t need to be quick to be considered quick when comparing him to Hutch.

There is the age old question that never gets answered. “Who is the quickest player in the NRL?”

If there was a race to determine the slowest player in the NRL. Hutch would be odds on in the betting.
I can tell you the quickest Khan Pereira at the Titans.

What about Hutchy when he made that slashing break? :tongueclosed: pacey or no?

Idk see how he goes, as I said I'm not convinced yet Sexy is a better option.Neither are quick perhaps Toby is less slow.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's up to Hutchison now to grab this opportunity with both hands. If he does and excels, his next contract could be the best of his career. Otherwise Sexton is going to need a big year if/when he gets an NRL run or he'll have our young halves options ready to leapfrog him into the 17.

I'm expecting a lot of improvement this year. Hopefully some of the experience bought in from stronger teams fortifies us mentally when we're behind and gives us the composure to chase points without getting the dropsies. Plenty of points went begging the last two years because we pushed passes or offloads early in the count. More than anything I hope Hutch is able to keep us composed and with some manner of direction.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hoping hutch can do the job. But sexton 9 minutes into this game set up the first try off a kick then scored the second.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sexton might work well for us if he comes on late in the second half, when the defence is tiring and he can make use of his speed.

We have speed on both sides of the ruck this year with Xerri/Kiraz and Wilson.
I like sexton but I wouldn’t say he has speed.
between Hutchinson and sexton it would be the battle of the turtles.

In saying that I would prefer sexton

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be his last game in the 7- our attack has no direction or fluency