News Half chance: Hutchison finally gets first shot at No.7 jersey

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs journeyman Drew Hutchinson has backed himself to become the team's chief playmaker in order to free up halves partner Matt Burton.

Hutchison made his NRL debut in 2015 and has played 75 top grade games for the Dragons and the Roosters, but the 28-year-old has never previously started the season as a first-choice halfback.

In fact, Hutchison has played more matches at centre, hooker and five-eighth than he has in the position he was chosen in the NRL's 2014 U20’s Team of the Year, alongside Addin Fonua-Blake, Val Holmes, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Te Maire Martin and Joseph Tapine.

However, after claiming the No.7 jersey for Saturday's Round 1 clash with Parramatta, he aims to ease the ball-playing pressure on Burton in a bid to boost Canterbury's attack in 2024.

“I think everyone can see the attributes he [Burton] has and it’s exciting," Hutchison said.

"Our combination will grow just through conversations with each other and understanding how we like the ball, and how each other plays.

“We’ve all seen his long-kicking game, and [again] I’m happy to let him completely take control of that and the benefit it will have on our side.

"He's such an athlete and a good sort of presence, and that's the role he is going to be playing; taking those opportunities when he sees it.”

By pairing Burton with Hutchison, Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has opted for the halves combination favoured by most NRL clubs - a running five-eighth and a ball-dominant halfback to head into the 2024 season.

The Bulldogs were unsettled in the halfback position last year, with Kyle Flanagan and Toby Sexton taking turns throughout the season as Ciraldo searched for the right player to partner Burton.

After five seasons at the Roosters and two with the Dragons, as well as a stint in England with Leigh, Hutchinson has made the switch to Belmore in order to play consistently in the chief playmaker role.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I reckon Hutch was picked over Sexton for defensive purposes. Which is understandable given our defensive issues last season. Hutchinson is 6'1 and 10kg heavier than Toby (according to the stats on NRL.COM)

Reactions: J_B

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good luck to him, played controlled footy in the Storm game and missed the mark a little in that Sharks game… Sexton has a little more X factor to him but Hutch looks like he can control a team as good halves should - see what happens

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs journeyman Drew Hutchinson has backed himself to become the team's chief playmaker in order to free up halves partner Matt Burton.

Hutchison made his NRL debut in 2015 and has played 75 top grade games for the Dragons and the Roosters, but the 28-year-old has never previously started the season as a first-choice halfback.

In fact, Hutchison has played more matches at centre, hooker and five-eighth than he has in the position he was chosen in the NRL's 2014 U20’s Team of the Year, alongside Addin Fonua-Blake, Val Holmes, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Te Maire Martin and Joseph Tapine.

However, after claiming the No.7 jersey for Saturday's Round 1 clash with Parramatta, he aims to ease the ball-playing pressure on Burton in a bid to boost Canterbury's attack in 2024.

“I think everyone can see the attributes he [Burton] has and it’s exciting," Hutchison said.

"Our combination will grow just through conversations with each other and understanding how we like the ball, and how each other plays.

“We’ve all seen his long-kicking game, and [again] I’m happy to let him completely take control of that and the benefit it will have on our side.

"He's such an athlete and a good sort of presence, and that's the role he is going to be playing; taking those opportunities when he sees it.”

By pairing Burton with Hutchison, Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has opted for the halves combination favoured by most NRL clubs - a running five-eighth and a ball-dominant halfback to head into the 2024 season.

The Bulldogs were unsettled in the halfback position last year, with Kyle Flanagan and Toby Sexton taking turns throughout the season as Ciraldo searched for the right player to partner Burton.

After five seasons at the Roosters and two with the Dragons, as well as a stint in England with Leigh, Hutchinson has made the switch to Belmore in order to play consistently in the chief playmaker role.
Not iif he keeps running out of the line and leaving holes!

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he does a job for us.

But Sexton or Hutch are a short term solution till they blood one of the juniors.
Yep of course.

The player market these days makes it nearly impossible to sign a high quality halfback.

Woods and O’Neill are waiting in the wings

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he does well but I’m not sold on him yet I think sexton attack wise offers more.

Either way based on trials I think we have the potential to go better than what people think.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Neither will set the world on fire or make you second guess. Sexton is a not necessarily a liability defensively if you take a holistic approach we’re better off with Hutchinson. We got flogged so bad last year it was hard to watch I don’t blame ciraldo for prioritising defense this year.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hutchison is a utility. I hope Ciro just realises the shit he does at training won’t translate into the field. That’s why he’s never had a proper fg gig

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Hutch was picked over Sexton for defensive purposes. Which is understandable given our defensive issues last season. Hutchinson is 6'1 and 10kg heavier than Toby (according to the stats on NRL.COM)
Defence is the reason for sure. Sexton whilst not a world beater is the better option in almost every other aspect.

I guess CC has to make this call based on our defensive atrocities from last season.

Burton is also a big body also but defensively deficient. I think Sexton misses out on the account of not being able to carry two halves that cannot tackle which is unfortunate.

Sexton offers more with the ball though. Without size and go forward in the middle. Our playmakers are going to struggle to create points.

Having a total left side kicking dominance is also going to make it critical sets are finishing in the right area of the field. With Burto, Hutch & Critta all lefties. Taaffe might have to be used as a right foot kicking option.

I hope it all works out. Most importantly I hope if it isn’t working. CC recognises quickly and make the adjustments required. Before the season slips away.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Defence is the reason for sure. Sexton whilst not a world beater is the better option in almost every other aspect.

I guess CC has to make this call based on our defensive atrocities from last season.

Burton is also a big body also but defensively deficient. I think Sexton misses out on the account of not being able to carry two halves that cannot tackle which is unfortunate.

Sexton offers more with the ball though. Without size and go forward in the middle. Our playmakers are going to struggle to create points.

Having a total left side kicking dominance is also going to make it critical sets are finishing in the right area of the field. With Burto, Hutch & Critta all lefties. Taaffe might have to be used as a right foot kicking option.

I hope it all works out. Most importantly I hope if it isn’t working. CC recognises quickly and make the adjustments required. Before the season slips away.
Sexton might work well for us if he comes on late in the second half, when the defence is tiring and he can make use of his speed.

We have speed on both sides of the ruck this year with Xerri/Kiraz and Wilson.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Burton and hutch don’t work out maybe we can recruit someone with the first name starsky.
Starsky and hutch
Has a good ring to it
This might work :grinning:
1 Burton
2 Kiraz
3 Crichton
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Hutchison 7 Sexton 14 Taaffe " these 3 not necessarily in this order "

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This might work :grinning:
1 Burton
2 Kiraz
3 Crichton
4 Xerri
5 JAC
6 Hutchison 7 Sexton 14 Taaffe " these 3 not necessarily in this order "
Serious concern now, (having observed Burto's ability to adjust to different situations), that he is capable of handling, and adapt, to the change to fullback and probably can see this option for him has unfortunately closed?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sexton outplayed drew when he come on so late no idea why drew picked over him he’d better play well tonight