Hagan: Parra should sign Thurston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
PARRAMATTA should have in their sights the world's greatest halfback, Johnathan Thurston, if they are to complete their transformation and become the NRL's dominant club.

Thurston will be on the market at the end of the 2010 season. If the Eels can sign the Cowboys, Queensland Origin and Kangaroos superstar they will have found the last piece in the puzzle on their way to being a premiership powerhouse.

They have the nucleus of a very good team, a Dally M winner in Jarryd Hayne, a tireless workhorse in Nathan Hindmarsh and a powerful front-rower in Fuifui Moimoi.

The emergence of Daniel Mortimer in the halves with Jeff Robson has been one of the talking points of the season. Robson, who has done a great job, may not be retained at the club because of salary cap pressure, which would place an expectation on Mortimer to play No. 7 at this famous club next season.

He has shown the necessary skills, toughness and temperament this year to suggest he could be the player the Eels can use to build their team around and is an Origin player of the future as they strive for a premiership.

But how long will it take for him to develop into a player capable of leading a team to victory on Grand Final day? The other problem: He may be best suited at No. 6.

Assuming he needs to play at least 100 games to learn his craft, do the Eels need to recruit a big-name player to ensure they have the quality in the key positions (like Melbourne) to win a title? They may have little room to move under the cap next year but if I were Daniel Anderson I'd go all-out to sign Thurston, who has expressed an interest in testing his value on the open market for 2011. I'm a big fan of Matt Keating and Kris Keating, who will both develop into long-time first- grade players at the Eels but the addition of a player like Thurston would give them the experience and direction to make it all count. You need a great halfback to win a title.

It can take a long time to recover from the pain of losing a Grand Final but the Storm have shown what can be achieved after one of the game's biggest defeats by Manly last season.

They have also given other teams a blueprint for success. In the era of salary-cap pressures, Melbourne invested in the key positions of fullback, halfback, hooker and five-eighth. Then there was the great mid-season recruitment of Brett Finch at bargain-basement level.

They have also invested heavily in coaching, performance and injury management - so their best players can cope better with the demands NRL and rep football place upon you.

The Eels appear to have recruited well with the arrival of former Eel and Wallaby Timana Tahu, Roosters back-rower Shane Shackleton and Dragons front-rower Justin Poore.

Their strength and conditioning program is second to none and their defensive capability improved dramatically in the last 10 weeks of the season. But the formula for winning a premiership says you must be in the top four. Starting slowly hurt them and they need to get out of the blocks more quickly to be a chance of getting there again next year.

the formula to winning the competition says you must be in the top four and the Eels have featured in the bottom half of the top eight in three of the last four seasons.

Their tradition of starting the year slowly has hurt them and they need to adopt a different strategy to get out of the blocks quickly to give themselves a genuine chance of being there again next season.

are no guarantees in this great game of ours and there will be 15 other teams, including Melbourne, who will be desperate to be there on Grand Final day next season.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt they could afford him if they have had to let Lowrie go because they are already scraping the cap limit.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL sign JT how rich do they think they are?

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I couldn't picture Thurston in an Eels uniform tbh. I'd love him back at the dogs though.:grinning:

Toyntman

Monstered Him
Reaction score
Haha Thurston, nobody is going to be ever able to afford the champ, he has just become to good, Best of luck in French Rugby JT...

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
what drugs is hagan on, if they sign him they'll lose at least 3 first graders

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hagan should reverse the lobotomy that he had at least 10 years ago that has left him so boring, stripped him of any personality, taken any football coaching ability from him that he once had and has rendered him so retarded he comes up with nonsense like this.

phelps_fan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Parra to sign Thurston there team would consist of Hayne and Thurston. They would have to be pushing the cap already. No way could they afford him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Imagine the house and land package Thurston could get out near Parramatta.!

WHAT A DEAL!
WHAT A STEAL!!

Sign him up for $20000 a season, and give him a block of land only the creative accounting geniuses at Parramatta could conjour up, and I reckon he might just sign.

In the same vein, I recko pigs might fly tomorrow too!

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Parra should sign Brad Fitler & bring him out of retirement.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Their backloading Haynes 450 K contract when Cayless retires, so how in the hell could they have the moula so sign Thurstan now?

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if they can afford to retain Mortimer for 2011 onwards. Adding to Jaybees point and the fact they are scraping through to retain Kingston and having let Todd Lowrie go already because of cap issues.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
They must choose Hayne or Thurston, they can't afford both. Not that Thurston would leavel QLD just to go to another club with the same pay. He is either at the Cows or overseas.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't keep Robson because of Salary Cap pressure, yet he suggests they should sign Thurston? hahaha how potent is his medication? seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.