News Gus v Tigers: The Luai Lottery goes into overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's only a handful of clubs that would choose their current 6 over Burton.. can't wait for him to prove the doubters wrong.
He'll start at centre and stay there the rest of the year

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Hey Flan, they weren’t my answers mate for you to be satisfied with, as stated they were answers from those that are a lot more in the know than most of us .. i.e paid club members who attend members meetings and hear what the plan is moving forward first hand from club management, which you’ve already admitted you’re not willing to be part of …

The narrative of we’ve missed several marquee players has always only been speculation based on media click bait to drive up prices or what’s been previously spruiked without any insider knowledge, there are other sides to that argument that have been put to you that you seem to turn a blind eye to.

I like the fact you question what’s currently happening within the club, so should we all … we all agree we need props, but weirdly enough you never seem to admit there might be reasons behind decisions that you and most of us don’t fully understand.

As for past comments between Berries and myself, we sorted that out between ourselves, no need for you to get involved ..

Love your passion for our Beloved club and questioning everything that’s being done from Gus, the coaching staff and management, have a little trust, it’s in good hands moving forward ..
That’s your opinion, fam. Not mine.

I don’t think there’s any excuse for missing so many props when we are so desperately in need of them. We have not played finals in seven years. I don’t expect to win a premiership overnight, but with a guy with the reputation and supposed clout of Gus at the club, I expect us to be recruiting in the areas we are most lacking in and I expect us to compete. I don’t expect us to be going backwards to supposedly go forwards by getting rid of forwards and signing no viable alternatives..

That’s my opinion. And it isn’t going to change based on the word of some paying member who sat and listened to a couple of PowerPoint presentations from the very people who are sitting by and allowing our first grade side to get worse. Listening to the spiel of a few directors doesn’t make them any more of an expert than the rest of us… no matter how much they may insist otherwise.

Focusing on pathways is all good and well, but we still need to be focusing on making the first grade team competitive as soon as possible. We have suffered long enough. We deserve some joy without having to wait another six years.

You are of course entitled to think otherwise, and I appreciate you being respectful. But I just can’t get behind this club’s current direction.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let's talk hypothetical as we all know I'd never get any inside info over here ...

Let's say tho, that Luai was really keen to come to the dogs in the early days.

So much so that he actually was seriously considering the price we put forward.

On hearing this the tigers raised there offer.

Luai tells the Tigers that his interested is peaked but his mind is with the Dogs.

the Dogs refuse to match the Tigers as they believe their offer is very good and that Luai is committed.

the Tigers up their offer.

Luai's head is turned. But not committed.

Dogs refuse to get into a bidding war and stick to their offer.

The Tigers up their offer a third time.

The Dogs pull out of the race.

Of course, this is hypothetical as there's no way I'd know what's going on ...

But does anyone honestly think in such a situation that the club should've raised the offer?

Nah. We were right to walk away and you all know it.
Let’s not deal in hypotheticals. We did not walk away

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don’t think there’s any excuse for missing so many props when we are so desperately in need of them. We have not played finals in seven years. I don’t expect to win a premiership overnight, but with a guy with the reputation and supposed clout of Gus at the club, I expect us to be recruiting in the areas we are most lacking in and I expect us to compete. I don’t expect us to be going backwards to supposedly go forwards by getting rid of forwards and signing no viable alternatives..

That’s my opinion. And it isn’t going to change based on the word of some paying member who sat and listened to a couple of PowerPoint presentations from the very people who are sitting by and allowing our first grade side to get worse. Listening to the spiel of a few directors doesn’t make them any more of an expert than the rest of us… no matter how much they may insist otherwise.

Focusing on pathways is all good and well, but we still need to be focusing on making the first grade team competitive as soon as possible. We have suffered long enough. We deserve some joy without having to wait another six years.

You are of course entitled to think otherwise, and I appreciate you being respectful. But I just can’t get behind this club’s current direction.
With all due respect … from what I understand, you and I have never professionally played the game, or coached the game, won premierships, coached and won Origin series, rebuilt failing clubs from the bottom up into powerhouse clubs for years to come ..

Yes we’ve watched the game for many years and we obviously know a thing or two about the game, but come on, to say we know what Management & Gould are currently planning or doing, or be able to confidently say that they’re failing this early into their tenure here would just label us as pretentious .. there are reason they were re-elected unopposed .. and you see that reason when you take a holistic look at the whole club, not just first grade .. your argument is the same argument Panthers fans were pushing 2 years into Gus’s 5 year plan .. yes it took longer than planned, but look at his results ..

Love the passion, but why not see what 2024 2025 2026 has to offer, and if it’s worse than 2023, have at it …

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There's only a handful of clubs that would choose their current 6 over Burton.. can't wait for him to prove the doubters wrong.
He wasn't a top 10 6 in 2023. Needs to improve BIG TIME if he ever wants to be a top 6.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
With all due respect … from what I understand, you and I have never professionally played the game, or coached the game, won premierships, coached and won Origin series, rebuilt failing clubs from the bottom up into powerhouse clubs for years to come ..

Yes we’ve watched the game for many years and we obviously know a thing or two about the game, but come on, to say we know what Management & Gould are currently planning or doing, or be able to confidently say that they’re failing this early into their tenure here would just label us as pretentious .. there are reason they were re-elected unopposed .. and you see that reason when you take a holistic look at the whole club, not just first grade .. your argument is the same argument Panthers fans were pushing 2 years into Gus’s 5 year plan .. yes it took longer than planned, but look at his results ..

Love the passion, but why not see what 2024 2025 2026 has to offer, and if it’s worse than 2023, have at it …
Mate, you don't need to be a seasoned pro to tell you aren't going to win many footy games without good forwards. Blind Freddy could see what our main recruitment priorities should have been for first grade, and instead we went out bulk buying outside backs and utilities.

Penrith played finals in Gus's first year at the club. Finishing bottom three and conceding 34 points a game is just not acceptable to me and while I appreciate that it takes time to build a premiership side, I'm not willing to wait until 2026 just to see us pushing for finals.

What's more, I don't think for a minute Gus is the guy who rebuilt Penrith. He played his part, I'm sure, but he didn't do it all by himself, and he isn't infallible. He should not be immune from criticism.

Totally up to you whether you consider me pretentious, I don't think there's anything pretentious about expecting better than we achieved this year...or expecting better recruitment than we have seen since Gus joined the club. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, you don't need to be a seasoned pro to tell you aren't going to win many footy games without good forwards. Blind Freddy could see what our main recruitment priorities should have been for first grade, and instead we went out bulk buying outside backs and utilities.

Penrith played finals in Gus's first year at the club. Finishing bottom three and conceding 34 points a game is just not acceptable to me and while I appreciate that it takes time to build a premiership side, I'm not willing to wait until 2026 just to see us pushing for finals.

What's more, I don't think for a minute Gus is the guy who rebuilt Penrith. He played his part, I'm sure, but he didn't do it all by himself, and he isn't infallible. He should not be immune from criticism.

Totally up to you whether you consider me pretentious, I don't think there's anything pretentious about expecting better than we achieved this year...or expecting better recruitment than we have seen since Gus joined the club. We are going to have to agree to disagree.
Hey hey, settle mate, I didn’t label you alone as pretentious … I said we’d BOTH be pretentious if we labeled what management are doing a failure this early into their tenure .. ..

What Gus achieved at the Panthers will always be up for debate, what he achieved at the Roosters will always be up for debate because he wasn’t actually coach when they won the premierships, maybe the premierships he’d already won were enough ? .. .. and who saying he isn’t infallible and that he’s always done things by himself ..

I also have to mention he’s the most criticised person on SM you’ll come across .. but, he is trying to rebuild our broken club as best he can, can you put your hand up and tell us who’s better qualified to do this huge job ?

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Honestly bro, you should write a book. Your talents are wasted here.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process, actually.
If it’s a book focused on the history of Gosford, I was born and raised there before you were even a blip on the map .. let me know, I’ll give you the real inside story ..

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let's talk hypothetical as we all know I'd never get any inside info over here ...

Let's say tho, that Luai was really keen to come to the dogs in the early days.

So much so that he actually was seriously considering the price we put forward.

On hearing this the tigers raised there offer.

Luai tells the Tigers that his interested is peaked but his mind is with the Dogs.

the Dogs refuse to match the Tigers as they believe their offer is very good and that Luai is committed.

the Tigers up their offer.

Luai's head is turned. But not committed.

Dogs refuse to get into a bidding war and stick to their offer.

The Tigers up their offer a third time.

The Dogs pull out of the race.

Of course, this is hypothetical as there's no way I'd know what's going on ...

But does anyone honestly think in such a situation that the club should've raised the offer?

Nah. We were right to walk away and you all know it.
You just rescued 04 dreaming this will be his excuse, and will say how Gus fucked it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.