Official Gus on Twitter

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would be a fair thing, years wise before fans could legitimately complain about lack of success? Thats the dilemma for Gus?
It dosnt seem to be a dilemma for him at all. It is just the fans suffering however I think the turnaround will be quicker than we think. Critta, Kik Burton,JAC Mahoney all from better elite systems King TPJ, We r Moving… this shift impacts guys like Kiraz lPreston Rahab and other emerging juniors.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It dosnt seem to be a dilemma for him at all. It is just the fans suffering however I think the turnaround will be quicker than we think. Critta, Kik Burton,JAC Mahoney all from better elite systems King TPJ, We r Moving… this shift impacts guys like Kiraz lPreston Rahab and other emerging juniors.
No doesn't seem to be a dilemna for him as yet which is fair enough. We do seem to have the nucleus of a good team but even allowing for injuries, we just aren't performing to standards.

We invited him in to change it up and he has sold his vision to the Board and they are going along with it.

If things dont work out tho, then he will feel the pressure and stress.

Just wondering what a fair amount of years most fans would accept before it gets untenable and there would be demands made on the Board for success.

Can you even put a number on it?

Say 3 more years, or 5 more years before fans start to demand a Finals appearance at least.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
First 5 rounds of this year we won 3 games and lost another by 2 points, should have won it except the bunker decided an obstruction wasn't an obstruction. In those five rounds we averaged 19 points AGAINST per game.

Since then we have played 9 games and won twice. We have averaged 35 points AGAINST per game.

The system WAS working, we were on track for a better season. Things have happened to change that, we have more lessons to learn. The point is that CC does know his stuff, he had us doing better than last season, a lot better. It is his first season as a head coach, it isn't right to compare him with Barrett who has nearly 4.5 seasons as a head coach. The key thing that all good head coaches do is learn. We need to give CC time to find out how well he learns.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
At least those ‘big buck’ players are playing FG though. That’s better than the big buck forward and half who haven’t played all year or was dropped to Cup and now playing a different position. That alone will make a big difference to our cap in 2024.

Remember how Tolman and Jackson used to get slaughtered on here and how both were rock solid in defence in the middle - wonder how different things may have been in those tight games if Jacko saw out his final contract year (which also affects our cap).
I was one for moving Jackson on early as I believed we needed his cash to bolster our middle forwards.
In hindsight we really miss him, would have been great to have in the middle with Mahoney. But yeah with Jackson leaving I don't think any of us envisioned the club not signing any other quality middles for 2024 also. So we really copped the worst possible outcome.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
First 5 rounds of this year we won 3 games and lost another by 2 points, should have won it except the bunker decided an obstruction wasn't an obstruction. In those five rounds we averaged 19 points AGAINST per game.

Since then we have played 9 games and won twice. We have averaged 35 points AGAINST per game.

The system WAS working, we were on track for a better season. Things have happened to change that, we have more lessons to learn. The point is that CC does know his stuff, he had us doing better than last season, a lot better. It is his first season as a head coach, it isn't right to compare him with Barrett who has nearly 4.5 seasons as a head coach. The key thing that all good head coaches do is learn. We need to give CC time to find out how well he learns.
Hopefully he has learnt not to break our players with our UFC training program and then play them through injury.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I was one for moving Jackson on early as I believed we needed his cash to bolster our middle forwards.
In hindsight we really miss him, would have been great to have in the middle with Mahoney. But yeah with Jackson leaving I don't think any of us envisioned the club not signing any other quality middles for 2024 also. So we really copped the worst possible outcome.
Probably made worse by the fact that we’re carrying most if not all Jacko’s final year in the cap this year, making the possibility of going to market harder.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably made worse by the fact that we’re carrying most if not all Jacko’s final year in the cap this year, making the possibility of going to market harder.
Hi mate, i don't pretend to know how the cap works with regard to how the NRL determine the Jackson retirement. Why are we forced to carry the salary in the cap ?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hi mate, i don't pretend to know how the cap works with regard to how the NRL determine the Jackson retirement. Why are we forced to carry the salary in the cap ?
Yeah I can't fully understand that too.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Because he was contracted for this year.
It’s not just a matter of retirement and 100% offset, especially when he’s now employed by the club in an off-field capacity. That’s how it was explained to me. I don’t know the details beyond that and I’m sure something was negotiated and we’re not carrying his full freight in the cap but there’s definitely something in there - if there wasn’t it would be a total rort - get players to retire early then pay them $300k++ to be ‘Community Liaison Officers’ so they get their contract money but the club isn’t penalised in the cap - the NRL are all over that kind of potential for rort.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I can't fully understand that too.
Just seems strange. Player retires so contract for 2023 doesn't exist anymore, enters a new contract as a staff member. Club is left a player short but not the balance of money to sign a replacement. Thats how it seems to me, but I'm obviously wrong.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doesn't seem to be a dilemna for him as yet which is fair enough. We do seem to have the nucleus of a good team but even allowing for injuries, we just aren't performing to standards.

We invited him in to change it up and he has sold his vision to the Board and they are going along with it.

If things dont work out tho, then he will feel the pressure and stress.

Just wondering what a fair amount of years most fans would accept before it gets untenable and there would be demands made on the Board for success.

Can you even put a number on it?

Say 3 more years, or 5 more years before fans start to demand a Finals appearance at least.
No way to 5 no way to 3 Gus knows he dosnt have 3 years… TK is pulling its hair out conceding this year to injury…they don’t perform next year there will be far more pressure than just the loose units on TK.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just seems strange. Player retires so contract for 2023 doesn't exist anymore, enters a new contract as a staff member. Club is left a player short but not the balance of money to sign a replacement. Thats how it seems to me, but I'm obviously wrong.
Dinkum Dog explained it well.

Jacko signs a $700k contract but then chooses to retire. He then gets a job at the club and that job is taken to be at market rate. If its strength and conditioning the market rate might be $200k.

We then cop the $500k in the cap or otherwise clubs just entice players to retire a year early and save on the cap. Please note I am only guessing the numbers. I dont pretend to know everything like TwinTurbo.

In reality he should have never been on that sort of money so thats where the issue lies. Even though he didnt play well last year we kind of got screwed a bit by him retiring. Its not as though he freed up a cap spot for anyone decent.

The successful clubs find ways to medically retire guys like Jacko. We probably could have tried to get him medically retired based on the stress associated with playing in such shit teams for the past 5 years.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Patients isn't something the kiddies are taught these days. I'm referring to the bulldogs supporters not the playing group. Gus appears to be working his ass off and as he warned CC before he took the job, it was going to be a tough stretch. Which tells me that Gus had a pretty clear idea of where the club was at then and no doubt now.
We have had much worse holding his position so it is the impatients of some on here that is the issue not the people running the club.
But I have no illusions anything on TK is going to change ever. So I guess I'm writing this to those with patients and understanding. Arguing with the kiddies will do your head in.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Dinkum Dog explained it well.

Jacko signs a $700k contract but then chooses to retire. He then gets a job at the club and that job is taken to be at market rate. If its strength and conditioning the market rate might be $200k.

We then cop the $500k in the cap or otherwise clubs just entice players to retire a year early and save on the cap. Please note I am only guessing the numbers. I dont pretend to know everything like TwinTurbo.

In reality he should have never been on that sort of money so thats where the issue lies. Even though he didnt play well last year we kind of got screwed a bit by him retiring. Its not as though he freed up a cap spot for anyone decent.

The successful clubs find ways to medically retire guys like Jacko. We probably could have tried to get him medically retired based on the stress associated with playing in such shit teams for the past 5 years.
Maybe ~$200k only, so ~$400k better off, thanks to RFM qualifying for the Veteran and Developed Player Allowance which we would have otherwise lost with Jackson's retirement.

Source;
Nine’s Danny Weidler told 100% Footy on Monday night the NRL has “put a few hundred thousand, maybe $200,000” into the club’s 2023 cap.

Always a Bulldog