Official Gus on Twitter

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was it true that he was Mr Invisible? I remember seeing this randomly mentioned in a thread a few months back when someone asked what happened to him back then?
I said that.

It was a lie.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another issue to possibly question Barrett's coaching gut instincts on from last year.

Avo looks a natural FB with speed, swerve, ability to link up with forwards and for off loads. He has a good effective kick inside the 20. He seems to have all the balance and characteristics of a good fullback.

Some have questioned his ability with the high ball but this should be worked on.

We need a fullback. He is a junior and we need to find a spot for Avo. Makes perfect sense.

Now with Gus around, maybe these obvious, best use of the playing roster will eventuate and Baz will make the best decisions (in concert with Gould).

Either way we know Gus has long term FB front of mind and would recognise bringing along our promising junior.
I don’t agree, now that Dufty is here we should all back him and he can be a gun fullback on his day. Dufty has everything that people go on about with averelo. Plus Dufty is a ready made fullback

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t agree, now that Dufty is here we should all back him and he can be a gun fullback on his day. Dufty has everything that people go on about with averelo. Plus Dufty is a ready made fullback
What happens if Dufty has a great season and wants an upgrade? What if we can't afford what he wants, or if a team like the Dolphins throws big money at him?

We need a back up plan either way and it would be nice to have Averillo in the team somewhere.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What happnes if Dufty has a great season and wants an upgrade? What if we can't afford what he wants, or if a team like the Dolphins throws big money at him?

We need a back up plan either way and it would be nice to have Averillo in the team somewhere.
Lol things we shouldn't need to worry about I suspect.
If he goes good he should be offered the same deal

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What happnes if Dufty has a great season and wants an upgrade? What if we can't afford what he wants, or if a team like the Dolphins throws big money at him?

Like that's going to happen.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Offcourse we should have a backup plan for every position

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a lot of "what ifs", how about we wait until the season has actually started before we stress over "what ifs". The recruitment and retention ream obviously signed Dufty (and Vaughan) on 1 year deals because that was the best option, gives them time to prove themselves and give us time to see how they fit in.

The best place for Averillo to learn how to play fullback is to play plenty of games at fullback in NSW Cup.
Of course that's if the coaching staff believe that he has what it takes and can learn how to play fullback at NRL level.

Offcourse we should have a backup plan for every position
At this point in time my guess is Allen is Dufty's back up at fullback with Averillo in the mix for the 1/2 spot.

Always a Bulldog

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dufty is on a 1 year contract. If he wants an upgrade he can find it elsewhere.

@Mutt Dafty will you be wanting an upgrade next year?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah but the alternative isn't great either. If he fails dismally and we don't want him, then we need a plan for 23. At the moment, who would that be? Allen?
I'm more concerned about this season and him failing, who's fullback then? 23 we can maybe work things out, some new rookie might make a name for himself in the NRL, a star might have a falling out, we might unearth a rookie, etc. Allan might get another chance sooner that we all think..

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's a lot of "what ifs", how about we wait until the season has actually started before we stress over "what ifs". The recruitment and retention ream obviously signed Dufty (and Vaughan) on 1 year deals because that was the best option, gives them time to prove themselves and give us time to see how they fit in.

The best place for Averillo to learn how to play fullback is to play plenty of games at fullback in NSW Cup.
Of course that's if the coaching staff believe that he has what it takes and can learn how to play fullback at NRL level.

At this point in time my guess is Allen is Dufty's back up at fullback with Averillo in the mix for the 1/2 spot.

Always a Bulldog
It's not a lot of what ifs tbh. It's if he does well we need to re-sign him, if he fails who's his replacement? It's never too early to start thinking about that stuff, as you get more data - then you can reevaluate the plan.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting Averillo walks into 1st grade #1, let him learn in NSW Cup.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The recruitment and retention ream obviously signed Dufty (and Vaughan) on 1 year deals because that was the best option, gives them time to prove themselves and give us time to see how they fit in.
Hard to see this not becoming standard practice for players like them and Asiata (was also on a 1 year deal) that have some sort of injury/form doubt or recent negative history around them.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about this season and him failing, who's fullback then? 23 we can maybe work things out, some new rookie might make a name for himself in the NRL, a star might have a falling out, we might unearth a rookie, etc. Allan might get another chance sooner that we all think..
Yeah and that's a fair concern as well.

Who's in line to take the Mounties and Bulldogs NSW Cup Fullback slots in 22?

JAC probably gets first crack at replacing Dufty?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah and that's a fair concern as well.

Who's in line to take the Mounties and Bulldogs NSW Cup Fullback slots in 22?

JAC probably gets first crack at replacing Dufty?
Allan should be NSW cup fullback. Declan Casey Mounties? JAC and Averillo should both be in front of Allan if Dufty fails imo.