Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Players are entertainers - if you are a performer and people pay money to see you live or watch you on TV you are entitled to a share of the action. If anything NRL players are cross subsidising all sorts of other activities.
Hey mate.

Love your avatar.

I really miss Folksey - a loyal and tough as nails Bulldog.

A true Bulldog.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well I’m not sure what I supposedly missed I was replying to the fact you mentioned the salary cap could double after a potential 5 or so year wage freeze. That was your suggestion was it not? That is a ridiculous notion because there are plenty of players that would retire in that 5 years. So stiff shit for them? Not to mention the player managers negotiating the contracts earning less. Then when the salary cap does potentially double after the 5 years you would effectively end up starting the same problem all over again. Doesn’t solve for anything.

And I’ll tell you why players contracted can’t work a normal job because they are full time athletes. Not many employers are going to accomodate somebody who can only work certain times and probably not at all some weeks when you are travelling. When you retire and start your career outside footy you are potentially starting 5-10 years behind others in your field so you need to maximise your earnings whilst playing. Not to mention the risks to your health playing a body contact sport.

Study and education programs I am all for and I think clubs are slowly getting better In this area.
Yeah most clubs pay a decent amount in fees for players to study at uni, TAFE, trade specific courses etc and pay for their books etc as well. Clubs have gotten a lot better in that regard. Some players take advantage of these opportunities, others don't when they should as it can put them in a dangerous situation once their career is over.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah most clubs pay a decent amount in fees for players to study at uni, TAFE, trade specific courses etc and pay for their books etc as well. Clubs have gotten a lot better in that regard. Some players take advantage of these opportunities, others don't when they should as it can put them in a dangerous situation once their career is over.
It’s good to see the sport has grown in professionalism in that regard. It’s a step in the right direction.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL only lists players with registered contracts. A player and a club signing a contract today doesn’t mean that it is registered today. The NRL goes through a number of processes before they will register a contract. Does the player already have an existing contract, will the contract take the club over their Cap, do they have space in their 30 player limit, is the agent listed on the contracted registered as an agent and do they have an NRL licence to act as a player agent, etc etc. There is also the 10 day cooling off period to be considered.

This can take weeks and more than once the contract has to be revised, I have heard of contracts that needed multiple revisions. That is despite the NRL having standard contract wording and clauses, very few contracts are “vanilla”.

Players and clubs do often have “letters of intent”, for example JAC had one with the Tigers, which indicates that they intend to sign a contract. But that is not the same as actually signing a contract and having it registered with the NRL. As a result of their player signing an LoI with a club the agent will often advise other club/s that they won’t be taking up their offer. It is not uncommon for the club/s that missed to leak to the media and then the player is promoted as having signed. Which of course may not happen for weeks or maybe not at all.

Even without an LoI players and agents can often agree to contract terms but the actual contract itself isn’t completed until the wording is finalised. That can take weeks moving between the relevant lawyers and accountants.

Take SST for example, if he really has to pass a medical then no contract will be signed and registered with the NRL until that is completed.

Always a Bulldog
I know that up until a month or so ago, the NRL still hadn't signed off on Wighton's contract because Canberra complained about the valuation. Sometimes these contracts aren't registered til months later as you said..

kamaryn

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Papenhuyzen reportedly being shopped around by the Storm. Doesn't fix our forwards problem but would be an interesting gamble - especially if the Storm chipped in. A genuine top tier spine player.

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Papenhuyzen reportedly being shopped around by the Storm. Doesn't fix our forwards problem but would be an interesting gamble - especially if the Storm chipped in. A genuine top tier spine player.
Zero chance Storm chip anything in.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Not for us wi have enough option at fb that one will emerge as our long term fb. Either Taafe, Josh’s, Crichton or Wilson will cement that spot. We need to save the money on the forward storm are trying to sign by letting him go.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If true pretty ruthless from the storm i, hopefully he's mental wellbeing is being is prioritized.
Only a 3rd party has reached out and asked the question.
When Sen asked the Storm about it they laughed at it.
They wont let him go!

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think its a sponsor of another club who is interested rather than the Storm shopping him around. A sponsor obviously wants to promote getting Paps and is probably willing to sponsor him for big dollars.