Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

scottywilson

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It seems according to Zero Tackle which I would assume are getting their info from the NRL that this is the current Bulldogs top 30 for 2024.

The player positions are from Zero tackle and not my picks.

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Blake Taaffe
6. Toby Sexton
7. Matt Burton
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Jacob Preston
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Karl Oloapu

14. Jaeman Salmon
15. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
16. Chris Patolo
17. Liam Knight

18. Reece Hoffman
19. Kitione Kautoga
20. Ethan Quai-Ward
21. Isaac Matalavea-Booth
22. Hayze Perham
23. Jordan Samrani
24. Jeral Skelton
25. Jackson Topine
26. No player signed
27. No player signed
28. No player signed
29. No player signed
30. No player signed

So it looks like Waddell, Pele, Edwards, Tanner, Morrin, Sam Hughes, Bailey Biondi-Odo and Blake Wilson have been dropped at the moment. There's a couple of new promotions into the top 30 with Isaac Matalavea-Booth (prop), Kitione Kautoga (prop) and Jordan Samrani (centre).

They have 5 spots still available. So if its true that we have signed Drew Hutchison, Jake Turpin, Kurt Mann and Siosiua Taukeiaho thats going to leave only 1 spot left. I would assume Blake Wilson will get in the top 30. Looks like Hoffman is in the top 30 as well. Theres talk of Mariner maybe leaving as well so that may free up one more space.

But it looks like theres a few players from this seasons top 30 who are not going to make it and will be relegated to NSW Cup or maybe get signed by another club.
its not accurate and never has been, as is the official nrl site.. the nrl really drops the ball in this area imo.. it forms the salary cap for each team and no one knows whos really in it.. wheres biondi odo who has a contract currently and IMB, Samrani and Kautoga just because they were development players this year it doesn't mean they walk into the top 30..

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
It seems according to Zero Tackle which I would assume are getting their info from the NRL that this is the current Bulldogs top 30 for 2024.

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Blake Taaffe
6. Toby Sexton
7. Matt Burton
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Jacob Preston
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Karl Oloapu

14. Jaeman Salmon
16. Chris Patolo
17. Liam Knight

18. Reece Hoffman
19. Kitione Kautoga
20. Ethan Quai-Ward
22. Hayze Perham
23. Jordan Samrani
24. Jeral Skelton
25. Jackson Topine
26. No player signed
27. No player signed
28. No player signed
29. No player signed
30. No player signed

So it looks like Waddell, Pele, Edwards, Tanner, Morrin, Sam Hughes, Bailey Biondi-Odo and Blake Wilson have been dropped at the moment. There's a couple of new promotions into the top 30 with Isaac Matalavea-Booth, Kitione Kautoga and Jordan Samrani.

They have 5 spots still available. So if its true that we have signed Drew Hutchison, Jake Turpin, Kurt Mann and Siosiua Taukeiaho thats going to leave only 1 spot left. I would assume Blake Wilson will get in the top 30. Looks like Hoffman is in the top 30 as well. Theres talk of Mariner maybe leaving as well so that may free up one more space.

But it looks like theres a few players from this seasons top 30 who are not going to make it and will be relegated to NSW Cup or maybe get signed by another club.
I personally wouldn’t bother using zero tackle, as it does have a history of being wrong. Here’s the NRL tracker which is usually much more spot on, for future reference if desired.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Blake Taaffe
6. Toby Sexton
7. Matt Burton
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Jacob Preston
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Karl Oloapu

14. Jaeman Salmon
16. Chris Patolo
17. Liam Knight

18. Reece Hoffman
19. Kitione Kautoga
20. Ethan Quai-Ward
22. Hayze Perham
23. Jordan Samrani
24. Jeral Skelton
25. Jackson Topine
26. No player signed
27. No player signed
28. No player signed
29. No player signed
30. No player signed

So it looks like Waddell, Pele, Edwards, Tanner, Morrin, Sam Hughes, Bailey Biondi-Odo and Blake Wilson have been dropped at the moment. There's a couple of new promotions into the top 30 with Isaac Matalavea-Booth (prop), Kitione Kautoga (prop) and Jordan Samrani (centre).

But it looks like theres a few players from this seasons top 30 who are not going to make it and will be relegated to NSW Cup or maybe get signed by another club. I heard Pele has gone to Super League.
Mate there will be at least 6 spots left. Gus will move on a fair few of those plodders.

A contract has meant nothing for ages now in the NRL. I would be astounded if Sutton, RFM and Topine are with us next year.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mate there will be at least 6 spots left. Gus will move on a fair few of those plodders.

A contract has meant nothing for ages now in the NRL. I would be astounded if Sutton, RFM and Topine are with us next year.
Thats true. I like how we are getting a fair few young guns so we can mold them into Bulldogs rather than buying big names or older fringe NRL players. Sutton comes under that category but I wonder if they still keep him as a mature head to help the younger forwards. I am not sure Mariner will ever get back to his devastating best. Like Thompson and Pangai they promised so much but have never really met expectations.

I think Patolo and Booth will be good additions and maybe Kitione Kautoga which hopefully along with Siosiua Taukeiaho will boost our forwards especially up front. Mann can also play 2nd row and seems a bit similar to Josh Jackson with ball skills which will be good.

It seems Gould and Ciraldo oh and new assistent coach Jason Taylor are now strategizing about recruitment rather than just buying players to plug holes. I have a good feeling that we will only get better. Especially if we can keep most of these young players in lower grades and have them develop into top grade.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nothing to do with his niggle and trash talk, altho that will look fucken embarrassing if he keeps up with it here.

He improves us by taking us to a ceiling of 12th, maybe 11th at best. Not good enough
Ceiling of 12th is based on what? Luai puts runners through holes for fun. Has a good understanding with a Kikz and Critta and will drive standards. Who is a better available half on the market?

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes I’d agree to a certain extent, but Gus also needs to accept that (despite our lack of recent success), our brand & supporter base are a key reason why we are still an attractive proposition for sponsors & prospective players. He needs to look after (not ignore) our supporters/fans more. Lack of a strong base of fans, damages our brand & commercial attractiveness.
Yeah there's certainly merit to that. It's not asking allot for him to back up his words with some actions.

He said he's secured all these signatures to be announced after the grand final weekend. Admittedly that's a vague time frame but if he would have said an announcement would be made "post season" or after annual leave or something a bit less specific would have been a better fit.

Just reeks of arrogance which is his typical MO

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I personally wouldn’t bother using zero tackle, as it does have a history of being wrong. Here’s the NRL tracker which is usually much more spot on, for future reference if desired.

OK thanks. I use that site as well. It seems to be pretty much similar to Zero tackle with those players mentioned as not being in the current top 30 with contracts ending this year. As well as the players already leaving.

Has Booth and Jordan Samrani on development contracts so that may not be included in top 30. Also has Joseph O'Neil as development player. So there will probably be a couple of more spaces.

Gould mentioned that he was going to announce 7 or 8 new signings so I am not sure if this is going to include some current players on our books.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Topine probably end up at Hull FC. Okunbur and NuBrown are singed by them

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing to do with his niggle and trash talk, altho that will look fucken embarrassing if he keeps up with it here.

He improves us by taking us to a ceiling of 12th, maybe 11th at best. Not good enough
That depends on where he plays and who's the 7 next to him.

If it's Burton, we won't reach 11th.
If it's Sexton or someone else.... maybe

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Stephen Crichton
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Blake Taaffe
6. Toby Sexton
7. Matt Burton
8. Max King
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Jacob Preston
12. Viliame Kikau
13. Karl Oloapu

14. Jaeman Salmon
16. Chris Patolo
17. Liam Knight

18. Reece Hoffman
19. Kitione Kautoga
20. Ethan Quai-Ward
22. Hayze Perham
23. Jordan Samrani
24. Jeral Skelton
25. Jackson Topine
26. No player signed
27. No player signed
28. No player signed
29. No player signed
30. No player signed

So it looks like Waddell, Pele, Edwards, Tanner, Morrin, Sam Hughes, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Burns, Casey, Rajab and Blake Wilson have been dropped at the moment. BUt they are still in the top 30 on Bulldogs sight. There's a couple of new promotions into the top 30 with Isaac Matalavea-Booth (prop), Kitione Kautoga (prop from Tigers NSW cup played 1 NRL game) and Jordan Samrani (centre). The Dogs site also has Joseph O'Niel in the top 30 as 5/8 which is interesting.

But it looks like theres a few players from this seasons top 30 who are not going to make it and will be relegated to NSW Cup or maybe get signed by another club. I heard Pele has gone to Super League.
Why do I feel unenthusiastic after reading that list?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah there's certainly merit to that. It's not asking allot for him to back up his words with some actions.

He said he's secured all these signatures to be announced after the grand final weekend. Admittedly that's a vague time frame but if he would have said an announcement would be made "post season" or after annual leave or something a bit less specific would have been a better fit.

Who gives a fck if Gus is arrogant. Signings will be announced when they are announced. Whoever is signed there will be threads complaining about it for the next four months - so plenty of time. What’s the rush?

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why do I feel unenthusiastic after reading that list?
I don't know. Maybe because theres no big names in there.

I think our backs are ok.
1. Stephen Crichton
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Blake Taaffe
6. Toby Sexton
7. Matt Burton

Most other sides don't have 2 top halves as there not many on the markets and have had to make do or develop young players like Iillias at Souths or Walker at Roosters. Raiders now have to develope Ethan Strange, Sharks Trindall, Raiders Cogger, Warriors Metcalf, Dragons Amone, Dolphins Katoa and Tigers Sullivan. So I don't think where too far off most other teams with Sexton or Oloapu partnering Burton. Plus we have the likes of Hutchinson, Taaffe and Salmon as well. Hutchinson seemed to be ok with the Roosters. Even O'Neil is an option.

Then we have a few good backups in the outside backs with Jeral Skelton, Ethan Quai-Ward, Wilson and Perham.

I think our back rowers are OK with KIkau and Preston leading the way. KIng, Sutton, Mann, Patolo, Salmon, Knight can play back row and it seems Oloapu may be developed into a lock.

Its props we need. Big tough props. Thats always been the Bulldogs platform. Maybe Siosiua Taukeiaho will help if we have signed him. But we need at least another leader like a Fisher Harris or Fotuaika or even a young gun like Utoikamanu. Hopefully Booth or Kitione Kautoga will come good. Not sure there are any good props left on the market.

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Weve missed out on every decent player weve gone hard on, weve signed a countless amount of duds, and the kennel brigade are still hanging off Gusses empty promises as if hes just playing some kind of 5d chess still. Its getting ready sad the level of Gus cuckoldry that goes on here
You are the biggest dickhead on the Kennel! :tearsofjoy:

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We were the highest bidder for a CENTRE. Ofc we landed him. Its nothing to celebrate.Smart clubs dont throw that sort of coin at centres, particularly when key areas arent even sorted first
How many clubs have you run?

Crickets... :tearsofjoy:

Keep embarrassing yourself!

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe because theres no big names in there.

I think our backs are ok.
1. Stephen Crichton
2. Josh Addo-Carr
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Jacob Kiraz
5. Blake Taaffe
6. Toby Sexton
7. Matt Burton

Most other sides don't have 2 top halves as there not many on the markets and have had to make do or develop young players like Iillias at Souths or Walker at Roosters. Raiders now have to develope Ethan Strange, Sharks Trindall, Raiders Cogger, Warriors Metcalf, Dragons Amone, Dolphins Katoa and Tigers Sullivan. So I don't think where too far off most other teams with Sexton or Oloapu partnering Burton. Plus we have the likes of Hutchinson, Taaffe and Salmon as well. Hutchinson seemed to be ok with the Roosters. Even O'Neil is an option.

Then we have a few good backups in the outside backs with Jeral Skelton, Ethan Quai-Ward, Wilson and Perham.

I think our back rowers are OK with KIkau and Preston leading the way. KIng, Sutton, Mann, Patolo, Salmon, Knight can play back row and it seems Oloapu may be developed into a lock.

Its props we need. Big tough props. Thats always been the Bulldogs platform. Maybe Siosiua Taukeiaho will help if we have signed him. But we need at least another leader like a Fisher Harris or Fotuaika or even a young gun like Utoikamanu. Hopefully Booth or Kitione Kautoga will come good. Not sure there are any good props left on the market.
Yep you can have the shittest Backline and have the best front row lineup however you would win more games due to the amount of front footy you can play. If we rectify our front row, add these strong backline, it’s definitely top 8 material no question

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Maybe waiting for the Nov 1 deadline?