Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If beteen them they can kick the ball to where it needs to be kicked will be a big step forward
Long kicking with them will not be a problem. Its what they do in the attacking 20 which is a major issue for both from what ive witnessed

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Long kicking with them will not be a problem. Its what they do in the attacking 20 which is a major issue for both from what ive witnessed
Yep - i know based on your posts that you are not confident in things being much better in '24 - im optimistic to a certain extent - the roster on paper is better BUT id love to see evidence that coaching n admin have learnt from their mistakes and theirs no repeat of cultur, cultur culture and ridiculous signings like the Reynolds/Davey/ Brown/ Clarke fiasco - another reasonable middle would have helped a lot

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep - i know based on your posts that you are not confident in things being much better in '24 - im optimistic to a certain extent - the roster on paper is better BUT id love to see evidence that coaching n admin have learnt from their mistakes and theirs no repeat of cultur, cultur culture and ridiculous signings like the Reynolds/Davey/ Brown/ Clarke fiasco - another reasonable middle would have helped a lot
Appreciate ur balanced response

Id love to be optimistic but from what ive seen we are repeating the mistakes of the past over and over again in the present. Plenty of evedince out there to support this

As for culture, youve gotta question where thats at as well. U mentioned those signing fiascos as a prime example. The merry go round of mid season departures. How do we culturally explain multiple players being signed for multiple yrs from 23 onwards and not even seeing the season out with us, in some cases not even half a season.

24 recruits couldnt be any less inspiring so far

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Appreciate ur balanced response

Id love to be optimistic but from what ive seen we are repeating the mistakes of the past over and over again in the present. Plenty of evedince out there to support this

As for culture, youve gotta question where thats at as well. U mentioned those signing fiascos as a prime example. The merry go round of mid season departures. How do we culturally explain multiple players being signed for multiple yrs from 23 onwards and not even seeing the season out with us, in some cases not even half a season.

24 recruits couldnt be any less inspiring so far
Part of my optimism for improvement is that i believe forwards determine if a team is able to compete - no tpj to leave gaps all through the middle as he either runs out of the line or waits, having Kikau play most games and giving Mahoney a rest when he is obviously out of gas n trying too hard will help the middle.

The culture thing - CC seemed to be under the influence of the corporate conference speaking gurus of the 90s - footy teams are about footy, professional sport is about winning(not just trying to improve)

Two quality middle forwards would make a lot of difference - whether they be bought or those already at the club developed/ improved - to that level. Preston came out of nowhere - maybe middle or two will do the same.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it would have to be developed and part of Ciro's gameplan for him. Be interesting to see how he goes with us.
Now 28 im hoping he hits his prime. Im also hoping CC gives him a position to focus on and can consider himself a FT starter which should give the guy plenty of confidence.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trying to work out a side where we can fit in Mann, Salmon and Hutchinson. They wouldn’t come here to play reserve grade. You can say the same for Taaffe. This scattergun approach better work.
Honestly dont find it that difficult to fit three blokes that can play anywhere on the field tbh...

Personally i would have them..

Hutcho - Starting lock
Salmon or Mann to interchange with Hutch whilst one stays on bench as utility.

Either of those players can also easily slip in onto an edge or centre if required.

Taafe should start as FB, Crighton wing.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly dont find it that difficult to fit three blokes that can play anywhere on the field tbh...

Hutcho - Starting lock

Either of those players can also easily slip in onto an edge or centre if required.

Crichton won't be playing on the wing mate

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score

Hutcho - Starting lock

Crichton wing? You mean centre right? He’s literally the best centre this year…

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Hutcho - Starting lock

Crichton wing?!? Lol

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well that sucks but LOL DEStroyer is at it again.

They have dead set blown their cap on forwards.

Good luck retaining any of the gun kids.
Well I think that's how we hit the cap with Des in charge.

There was a thread I posted on the weekend with a link to a match, the last time we were a solid Top4 team even though later on that season we spiralled down the ladder we had a solid outfit.

Most of the money was loaded on forwards

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Hutcho - Starting lock

Personally I don’t think Salmon, Hutchinson and Mann are all in the 17 at once unless there is injuries or suspension. We’ll likely have a young Reggie’s side and at least one of them there for experience.

Critta wing must be a typo?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Really, interesting thought it was weird roosters had essentially 2 Cup sides in roosters and North Sydney, Was wondering if we could do the same thing with Mounties?
Storm no strangers to this. Around 2013 they had a partnership with Sharks in reserve grade and shared players. They played on GF day that year if I recall correctly.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score

Hutcho - Starting lock

Salmon will play a bit or cup as well as be a bit of a bench second rower, taafe will most likely be FB. The thing you are missing is Mann, Hutchinson and even salmon and Taafe can all play in the halves. This is a shot at Burton. We all saw how poorly he played at times this year, so would Gus and CC. This is a warning shape up, or we have realistic replacements that arn't rookies that can come in. If Burton plays to his ability these players will still be valuable, but considering most halves are old/injury prone I can also see one being used in a player swap for a prop, say if Moses or DCE go down with a long term injury.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Are any of them good? They’ve got Tino, Mo, Fifita taking over 3m a year now. We should sign Fermor.. he’s a back rower though but he’s quality
They are NOT under cap pressure

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Crichton wing? You mean centre right? He’s literally the best centre this year…
4th day into covid/flu baby... can u tell?

Taafe
Xerri/Wilso/Skelly
Kiraz
Critta
JAC

Would be my backline.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus said Crichton will be fullback