Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Chrighton is the only regular starter named so far...the rest Taff, Salmon, Hutchinson NSW Cup players as was Sexton. Who else is coming? Mann, Twal etc experienced bench players. This club will not play finals next year or the year after without signing/developing at least two quality middle forwards, currently the Dogs have none. They also need a quality 7 and hope Burton lifts or KO usurps him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Citation required.

Anyhow, if you throw a thousand darts at the same time, you're almost guaranteed a bullseye!
But I haven’t thrown a thousand darts?
what have I gotten wrong.
I have thrown like 2 darts and got them

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Watching the broncos game tonight leaves me with more questions than anything if we are going down the right path recruiting wise. They got the spoon in 2020 and now look like a genuine premiership threat to panthers 3 years later. We got the spoon in 2021 and we are still hoping to avoid the spoon next year. Where did we go wrong? Broncos did sign Reynolds and Walsh but they built within other than that. I dunno if signing all these fringe / bench players is the right call. Yes we need a cleanout but we need to build within
Broncos can build within because they have a junior nursery even larger than Penriths. A whole city to choose from Uleh.
Dolphins came in this year only remember. And even so a stud will go to the broncos sue to their reputation over Dolphins you’d think.
So they used these premium juniors and then bought shrewdly.
A proper halfback. Something we should have done. And a proper fullback. They lucked on taht one but he’s also a Brisbane junior so it goes back to the junior nursery and monopoly.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
As much as you want it to be, our recruitment isn’t over yet and all the pissing and moaning you have been doing is about players the club hasn’t officially announced. Now I know it’s infinitely difficult for a single cell organism like yourself to understand this so I’ll put it in terms you might understand. We litrally don’t know who the potatoes are going to be.
The best part of him rundown his mum's legs. Literally lol

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos can build within because they have a junior nursery even larger than Penriths. A whole city to choose from Uleh.
Dolphins came in this year only remember. And even so a stud will go to the broncos sue to their reputation over Dolphins you’d think.
So they used these premium juniors and then bought shrewdly.
A proper halfback. Something we should have done. And a proper fullback. They lucked on taht one but he’s also a Brisbane junior so it goes back to the junior nursery and monopoly.
Broncos are up there with Roosters for magically being able to fit top quality rep players in their team.

Last week they had Haas, Flegler, Carrigan, Cobbo and Walsh who played origin this year.
Reynolds, Staggs and Capewell who played origin recently. Reynolds was a while ago but probably in career best form with the broncos.
Can’t even fit in Oates who played origin last year. Then throw in international gun like Farnworth who was probably the best centre in the game this season.

Andrew Gee would be proud

Last edited:

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I haven’t thrown a thousand darts?
what have I gotten wrong.
I have thrown like 2 darts and got them
You're always trying to rep, Steve!
EDIT - typo

Last edited:

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You're always trying to rep Steve!
Hi ow am I trying to ‘rep’ him.
Only thing I represent is the hood (south Central Syd), Lebanon, the gangsta life, doggs, south’s and the language of love.
Steve squash his beef with me when it dawned on him I was righ mt m and do indeed had intel under the Bulldoggs bonnet.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those asking Gus to sign a starting forward…where is Gus going to do this? There is no good forwards off contract.

The only way, and the way Gus is going about it, is getting fringe forwards at other clubs, and giving them the opportunity. It can go either way but you haven’t ruined your cap over it.

Perfect examples of when it works is Preston and King. Sometimes it doesn’t work like Davey but they can be offloaded easily.

I’d argue we have had more success with signing fringe players than stars at other clubs aka Burton, TPJ, Sutton…

I don’t have a problem with any of the new signings because they’re opportunity buys without breaking the bank. And there’s not much else out there. I’m sure Gus is trying to sign a big name but in the current market it would be very difficult.

I don’t expect all will be good buys but if 2 or 3 of the new signings become regulars that’s a good thing. I’d be content if only 2 of Taafe, Salmon, Hutchison, SST, Mann become good buys. I’m hoping it’s Salmon and Taafe.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Those asking Gus to sign a starting forward…where is Gus going to do this? There is no good forwards off contract.

The only way, and the way Gus is going about it, is getting fringe forwards at other clubs, and giving them the opportunity. It can go either way but you haven’t ruined your cap over it.

Perfect examples of when it works is Preston and King. Sometimes it doesn’t work like Davey but they can be offloaded easily.

I’d argue we have had more success with signing fringe players than stars at other clubs aka Burton, TPJ, Sutton…

I don’t have a problem with any of the new signings because they’re opportunity buys without breaking the bank. And there’s not much else out there. I’m sure Gus is trying to sign a big name but in the current market it would be very difficult.

I don’t expect all will be good buys but if 2 or 3 of the new signings become regulars that’s a good thing. I’d be content if only 2 of Taafe, Salmon, Hutchison, SST, Mann become good buys. I’m hoping it’s Salmon and Taafe.
And part of it is just getting in guys who want to do the work. Whether they get an opportunity is up to them, but providing competition for spots and setting a higher bar is what this club needs.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have to sign Jarome Luai, Moeaki Fotuaika and Keaon Koloamatangi.

These 3 signings would gurantee a top 4 spot easily.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have to sign Jarome Luai, Moeaki Fotuaika and Keaon Koloamatangi.

These 3 signings would gurantee a top 4 spot easily.
Luai, Koloamatangi, L. Smith and Terrell May. Fotuaika if we miss out on Koloamatangi. Panther couldn't keep Leniu who went to Rooster for reportedly 525k and I expect L. Smith will be similar. Terrell May in a stacked Rooster team and ability wise he's their best middle imo. With their cap situation it should be hard for them to keep him too (unless he takes massive unders :D ).

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luai, Koloamatangi, L. Smith and Terrell May. Fotuaika if we miss out on Koloamatangi.
We won't get May. He came out recently wanting to resign with the Roosters and we dodged a bullet from his brother Tyrone. They are probably fuming.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We won't get May. He came out recently wanting to resign with the Roosters and we dodged a bullet from his brother Tyrone. They are probably fuming.
If Rooster can compete with 500-600k offers from rivals he'll stay.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Rooster can compete with 500-600k offers from rivals he'll stay.
Would you try to convince Leniu to break his contract with Roosters. Had a fight with JWH earlier this year and won't get along there.

We have so much ex-panthers including ciraldo and gus, Why didn't he sign with us?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Would you try to convince Leniu to break his contract with Roosters. Had a fight with JWH earlier this year and won't get along there.

We have so much ex-panthers including ciraldo and gus, Why didn't he sign with us?
I think they'll be fine when they're on the same side, that's normal for competitors/winners. Rooster top 4 team and if Leniu signed at Rooster for reportedly 525k we would of had to pay a lot more. If Leniu didn't want to go to Rooster or Rooster didn't want him I would still sign him but I doubt this is the case.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they'll be fine when they're on the same side, that's normal for competitors/winners.
I'm glad we dodged Sele, but how could miss out on Leniu.

Good news is that we've signed Siosiua Taukeiaho and Poasa Faamausili. Good islander props.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm glad we dodged Sele, but how could miss out on Leniu.

Good news is that we've signed Siosiua Taukeiaho and Poasa Faamausili. Good islander props.
I won't mind missing out on Leniu if we sign the next best middles coming through like Smith and May and snag a marquee like Kolo or Fotuaika. If we're unable to do that it just keeps pushing us further another year until we're competitive imo (like next year with our current recruitment - basically another write off going into the year expectations wise).