Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way Gus announce’s this on national TV unless he’s holding an unbeatable hand. He’s got something big.
Unbeatable hand lol. Faamasuli, Hutchison, Turpin and co is like holding a 2-7 off suit in poker. U really are a deluded Gus cuck. Wake up

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the broncos game tonight leaves me with more questions than anything if we are going down the right path recruiting wise. They got the spoon in 2020 and now look like a genuine premiership threat to panthers 3 years later. We got the spoon in 2021 and we are still hoping to avoid the spoon next year. Where did we go wrong? Broncos did sign Reynolds and Walsh but they built within other than that. I dunno if signing all these fringe / bench players is the right call. Yes we need a cleanout but we need to build within

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watching the broncos game tonight leaves me with more questions than anything if we are going down the right path recruiting wise. They got the spoon in 2020 and now look like a genuine premiership threat to panthers 3 years later. We got the spoon in 2021 and we are still hoping to avoid the spoon next year. Where did we go wrong? Broncos did sign Reynolds and Walsh but they built within other than that. I dunno if signing all these fringe / bench players is the right call. Yes we need a cleanout but we need to build within
Building from within will take time mate, we never had the calibre of players coming through the grades like they did.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were stacked full of young guns who lacked experience.. the players they had always showed potential but needed polishing, and key pieces to turn them around.. I haven't seen that kind of player debut for us.. the players that show glimpses of becoming stars. We've either bought them, or they just show glimpses of maybe one day becoming a squad level nrl player

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 8 or 9 new recruits are all going to be experienced middle of the road nrl players around the 300 to 400k mark. We are never going to be accelerating up the ladder when Cleal & Des murdered our junior production line. The worst crime of the last 8 years is the cerebral giants in charge who elected to purchase terrible players at high prices & totally ignored junior development. Look at our bench in 2004 GF. Thurston, SBW, Asotasi & Corey Hughes. The secret to being competitive in the NRL is all about cheating the cap like a few well known clubs do or continually developing quality juniors. We haven't had either option in play for a long long time.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
# Roger the alien is spot on. We have not had the luxury of juniors coming through. Greenberg destroyed our junior pathways when he was head in 2012 and Hasler was never intetrested in recruitment. Dessy was on a spender bender and Dib and Aunty Rae-Rae let him go on his merry way thinking they were on a winner.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dont know which regime did it but the set up with Keebra Park was ridiculous - Broncos n Titans always had first n second choice - the dogs were only ever going to get those "not worthy" of QLD contracts.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont know which regime did it but the set up with Keebra Park was ridiculous - Broncos n Titans always had first n second choice - the dogs were only ever going to get those "not worthy" of QLD contracts.
Which I'm ok with, considering 1st and 2nd choice do not always grow into expectations, yet unworthy can still grow.
Also seeing us giving players a chance when the others don't will rub off over time.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which I'm ok with, considering 1st and 2nd choice do not always grow into expectations, yet unworthy can still grow.
Also seeing us giving players a chance when the others don't will rub off over time.
I think all those that came down from there only lasted a year or two in flegg

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think all those that came down from there only lasted a year or two in flegg
How long was the arrangement in place though?
As you no doubt are aware of, time is key as well.
You need time to try multiple players, as a large portion are not likely going to kick on.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The 8 or 9 new recruits are all going to be experienced middle of the road nrl players around the 300 to 400k mark. We are never going to be accelerating up the ladder when Cleal & Des murdered our junior production line. The worst crime of the last 8 years is the cerebral giants in charge who elected to purchase terrible players at high prices & totally ignored junior development. Look at our bench in 2004 GF. Thurston, SBW, Asotasi & Corey Hughes. The secret to being competitive in the NRL is all about cheating the cap like a few well known clubs do or continually developing quality juniors. We haven't had either option in play for a long long time.
Spot on!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How long was the arrangement in place though?
As you no doubt are aware of, time is key as well.
You need time to try multiple players, as a large portion are not likely going to kick on.
Not long - i think it started around 2017 - cant remember any that even got to nsw cup maybe Devontai Seumanafagai the others floated between u20s and sydney shield

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We signed a Reynolds for 2023 so the club did try and mimic the Broncos in that regard. Just a shame the Reynolds we signed has been a dud for the past 5 years at least.

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Salmon, SST, Hutchinson, Mann, Turpin... Gus is a master rucruitment manager. I'm going now to drink myself stupid and think about something else.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Salmon, SST, Hutchinson, Mann, Turpin... Gus is a master rucruitment manager. I'm going now to drink myself stupid and think about something else.
And remember we are paying Gus a million per year to deliver us these duds. Then drink some more lol