Gus on 100% Footy

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He looked and sounded genuinely upset at the situation.

He didn't sugar coat and use bullshit cliches.

Whether it's his love for the club or his ego, he will stick it out and do the job.

Problem with this place is either you're a Gus cuck or you want him sacked.

PS still waiting for an answer from the sack Gus brigade as to who they want to replace Gus....
Gus seemed resigned to the fact that we look far far away from digging our way out of this hole and I think part of it is also understanding that it is a task too far for a rookie coach and he got it wrong allowing Ciro to start this year. Without saying it he now realises.

Our worst problem is not the roster. We have a decent roster but need some key forward signings. There's guys out there to fill those gaps. Other clubs develop raw talented front rowers and we can too.

But the settings must be 100%.

I think Gus now knows the stench of the Loser attitude pervading the club is entrenched. He doesn't have a strong, hard nosed coach willing to skittle these blokes over with demanding standards but rather a coach who is good at finessing already developed winners.

We have had a near on complete churning of the roster over 3 years. The loser attitude and lack of confidence has remained since Des' last 2 years where no one could execute or looked like they enjoyed their footy.

Just can't see any huge improvement under the current coaching regime so have no idea how next year will go. Maybe with some luck with injuries the players will start playing to their best abilities and Ciro will start making the best selections and rotations and find a game plan to suit our roster.

I do know that if the coach can get these guys playing their best footy then Mahoney, King, TPJ, Kiks, Preston, KO, Fox, Wilson, Skelton, Burton, Sexton, Kiraz, Edwards, Hughes, Knight along with new guys Critta, Taafe, Salmon, Xerri then that is a pretty decent team that should not be letting in such shocking defensive numbers.

If they do play like this season again next year then it says a lot about what is really happening within the team and the coaching regime.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am with you on Fox, but we needed him as he was one of our first "rep player" signing in a long time.

Even if we paid overs it was sort of worth it to make our club more attractive to other good players in the market.

Also in defense of Fox, we had shit halves that have not been able to utilize his skills properly.

No winger will ever win you games on his own if you play with 12 other shit players.
Fox is the face of the club. He’s been a massive commercial success. and if we get the right people around him, he’s still got it on the field as well.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cup standard but sadly bulk are in current top 30.
Yes true and that needs to be strengthened but those guys aren't primarily the ones responsible for our terrible results and standing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
To be a fly on the wall in Belmore....

100% Belmore is toxic, just don't know if it's players, coaches or admin.
@wendog33 I think you're getting to the heart of the defensive problem; "motivation". What I saw Sunday wasn't about structures, or rosters, or the universal planetary alignment... Just effort to close gaps and make tackles. If there was more effort, those early tries, particularly the first 2, were non-starters.

For me personally, and this may just be my upbringing, there seems to be a distinct absence of shame over their performances. I've said it here lots before, if they go out, bust a gut and come off the field having left every single fibre of effort on it, I'm not too upset with losing to better teams. But they're not. I've seen it in a few games, cowies, titans (1st time). Otherwise, it's predictable most weeks if I'm honest with myself.

We used to hear last year we were never beaten for effort. Haven't heard that in a while, because I suspect it's not been there. I agree it's debilitating looking over your shoulder at work. When it's happened to me I've hated it, but I don't think I stopped putting the effort into my work. There's hurting 'cause you're losing and there's not turning up. It's the second one that's under my skin right now
And mate you have nailed it with "shame". We throw arround these words of "accountability" etc but shame in your performance is the best line in the sand.

There appears to be no repercusions or consequences of just being a shadow of the player you can be, or were. Half hearted efforts are totally part of the fabric of this team now and apparently acceptable bc they continually happen eg TPJ's dumb offloads, Fox ill discipline, Burton shirt grabbing etc.

The guy who is responsible for ensuring these key parts to a players game are spot on is the Head Coach and the one who drives the culture of winner or loser.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The assistant hasn't got respect or fear that's needed.

100% there is a toxic environment at Belmore. Can't wait till the end of the season so the weak ***** get booted out.
Who tho is getting booted that will make a difference next year?

The problems are far deeper than those leaving this year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To be a fly on the wall in Belmore....

100% Belmore is toxic, just don't know if it's players, coaches or admin.
If only re: fly on wall :-).
And to answer your question - my guess would be entitled players. Once upon a time it was considered a privilege to play for the club you love. Now it only seems to be about money and what’s good for the player and their manager. Sad state of affairs.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Who tho is getting booted that will make a difference next year?

The problems are far deeper than those leaving this year.
Whoever isn't putting in should be booted, I don't care about their name or reputation.

The problem is those weak boys with a weak assistant not getting the best out of them and not mentally getting them up for our games.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not reading 17 pages.

Yeah I heard that bigger job than he thought with external influence thrown in covid 17 teams big money
I said it time & time again, I think it's internal shit. It's happening to all the players who are there.

They seem to turn to shit, once they get there.

Don't sign players on overs & players out of position.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Whoever isn't putting in should be booted, I don't care about their name or reputation.

The problem is those weak boys with a weak assistant not getting the best out of them and not mentally getting them up for our games.
Players to blame and they are responsible for their own performance no matter what, but the coaching is failing to motivate them or help them play their best game.

Until this is dealt with in some way, then its pretty hard for a bunch of meatheads to take it upon themselves to pull themselves out of the hole and decide to play well. It's not up the the new 2024 guys from successful clubs to drive a change in standards.

More concerned than ever about where this team is heading unless some hard truths are told to the whole lot, including the coaching staff.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not reading 17 pages.

I said it time & time again, I think it's internal shit. It's happening to all the players who are there.

They seem to turn to shit, once they get there.

Don't sign players on overs & players out of position.
What are you talking about, nobody signs a winger to be a centre or a centre to be a fullback or a halfback to play lock like we do...:tearsofjoy: Im hearing that @Isaac is hearing that we are keen to sign DWZ back with us to play prop. He runs hard so thats a plus.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
More concerned than ever about where this team is heading unless some hard truths are told to the whole lot, including the coaching staff.
After the season is over.

The club should get the players, staff etc together. Have week away from all outside influences & just be honest where they think the failings are.

I don't mean a 5 star hotel etc. Like some camp venue etc.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they haven't re-signed by November 1 I'd be going all out for Payne Haas and Tom Dearden.
Even if we do both of those players will just use clubs like ours to drive up the price at their current clubs. I can't see Dearden leaving at all. And if Haas does, which I don't think he will, it won't be to join us no matter how many $BW/Muslim articles are written linking him to us

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
at least there was a new excuse this week, burto becoming a dad and playing like he'd rather be at home.

Malla

Reaction score
The one thing you can be certain of, is Gus isn’t afraid to have these same conversations with the players, coaches and managers.
Not at all. He will have the tough conversations, and he will front up to the media when required. Not just on 100% footy and his podcast, but the other week he did the press conferences for the week didn't he? Not sure what else people want.

Do they want Dogs to overpay for someone like Tino and Haas? What will that do to the long term sustainability of the team? Short sighted.