Gus on 100% Footy

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Covid. Hahahahahaha the FOREVER excuse for everything.
Maybe he'd be better off saying we have many players suffering long term effects from having to take the jab as mandated by the NRL.
You don’t think shutting down the feeder comp for 2 years would impact the quality of
Players available to be promoted into FG?

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean admit CC is a dud? But but he is Gus's man. Came highly recommended by Gus, even though Penruff went all out to bring Cleary back and cut Gus loose when Gus sacked Hook to bring CC into the head roll at Penruff.
Maybe many of these rookie coaches are good at assisting but just don't make a great impression as a Head Coach. Fitzy had a good first year at Ronulla and having a poor 2nd year. O'Brien was all at sea with Knights for 3 years, finally getting them to buy in this year.
You can't keep churning the roster though. Doing hat undoes all the time and effort a Head Coach puts into the team. Making him start from scratch with 10 new players joining the squad each year will guarantee you wont build any comraderie.
Just FYI mate Cronulla are 5th Newcastle 7th

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Last week he said Critta wasn't bought for FB but tonight he said he was.

I wish there is a vax to protect him from catching the dud disease that's rampant in Belmore lol
noticed that too, he’s all over the shop… I reckon he’s over it by the sound of it.

If they have the money but nobody worthy to sign, they may as well go all in on Payne Haas - at least that way, it gives them a marquee middle and someone who has a go every week… may lift others around him to meet his standards.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why our defending has gone to shit do our players not know how to tackle and wrap the ball up to stop offloads?
They aren't motivated enough to put in the necessary starch by the looks and won't work hard enough.

Reactions: ATT

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus talks so much shit and our fans almost always fall for it.
Why would you think he doesn’t have a handle on it? He’s been at the top level of the game for 40 years. I’m sure he’s picked up a thing or two.
half the squad is off contract. Which suggests he’s already identified the weaknesses and is probably well on his way to addressing them.
we have to stop blowing up the place every two years, when we don’t set the comp alight. If we don’t we’re in the midst of a perpetual rebuild.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Ya think so?
And face the board with a 3.5 year payout for Ciraldo?
Holbrook didn’t make the Tits fire with a much better squad. I think there’s more to it than meets the eye.
I think the board have gone all in on Gus and given him full control.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He’s way too lazy and unfit to play fb. Imagine him trying to run side to side when we’re defending the try line lol. Also, has the kent ever thrown a cutout?
Beginning to think he should try out for Lock :grinning:....if he can improve his tackling technique...(Brad Clyde?)

Pricey102

Waterboy
Reaction score
Gus has been telling us all season we are way off the pace and that it’s a long road. Unfortunately many here just chose not to believe it.
But why as a player would you even try if that’s what the boss is expecting of you. Pretty much telling them they’re crap and don’t have to go any good. Bullshit thing to do from gus

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus didn’t say anything that he hasn’t been saying since day one, people only hear what they want to, then throw the toys out of the cot when their unrealistic expectations aren’t met. If Gus isn’t given the time he needs to do the job, this club will never recover.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They aren't motivated enough to put in the necessary starch by the looks and won't work hard enough.
than they should be dropped to nsw cup and play players who want to play for the jersey

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
noticed that too, he’s all over the shop… I reckon he’s over it by the sound of it.

If they have the money but nobody worthy to sign, they may as well go all in on Payne Haas - at least that way, it gives them a marquee middle and someone who has a go every week… may lift others around him to meet his standards.
You have to remember, he has a squad to think about.
He has to be careful, he’s still managing the futures of others already at the club. Like, admitting Critta is definitely our long term FB is the kind of thing that could make a kid like Pappa look elsewhere for opportunities. Or saying Xerri has been brought in to play centre, or burton could play centre, could make get Burns, Alamoti and even Burton nervous.
It’s a balancing act. I’m sure he’d love to let us all in, but discretion is a necessity in this business.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
than they should be dropped to nsw cup and play players who want to play for the jersey
This tough coaching attitude is something Ciro has to learn.

We have quite a good roster. Certainly better than the shocking scorelines indicate. The coaching has to be equally as responsible for our terrible season as the players are. The coach just does not have them firing or playing their best footy. That is his core job.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But why as a player would you even try if that’s what the boss is expecting of you. Pretty much telling them they’re crap and don’t have to go any good. Bullshit thing to do from gus
Millennial bullshit, They have all been given opportunity to improve and haven’t, fuck their “feelings” weather it’s football or life you are responsible for your own performance and you are judged by that, like it or not.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am surprised at some of the comments here. Gus isn't saying anything new, and he's spot on with his assessment. What did you all expect?
The one thing you can be certain of, is Gus isn’t afraid to have these same conversations with the players, coaches and managers.

Malla

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why our defending has gone to shit do our players not know how to tackle and wrap the ball up to stop offloads?
They look tired and fatigued all the time. It sucks to watch.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll have to watch it later tonight.
But from what I'm reading through this thread, sounded pretty honest and accurate from Gus.

The hard thing is, the fans have waited long enough for the club to turn things around
Club doesn't exactly have the time they really need.

Looks like next year won't be much better than this year.

Very disappointing

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
*All* of this talk is idle chatter. No one seems to understand... There's only one way to rectify this situation, and that's to challenge the NRL on *anything* on a point of principle, and win. Take a single scalp.
The horse may have bolted on this, but say it's the composition of the officiating personnel. Or some new media commitment.
We, for example, allowed ourselves to be an instrument for "public health" agendas.
We could have challenged the call up of Burton and said no. The media would have went after us because "it's the same for so clubs". Well the club has to own the "exceptionalism". Fuck your humility.
We keep talking in circles about playing staff, coaching staff, etc. But the reality is we've been weakened by a thousand little cuts. So that all these small little injustices don't just hurt d direct results, they hurt the mentality. We lose in the wider context, so we're loser on the field too

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So who’s on the don’t come Monday list ??
Thommo
Bbo
Okunbor
Burns
Flanagan
Alamoti
Rajab
Casey
Pele
RFM ??
Sutton ??
Topine ??
Hoffman
Tanner

keep Waddell for depth.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it’s any consolation folks:
Parra, last years grand finalists got 50+ points put on them… what’s their excuse?

I think Gus is no longer sugar coating sh!t, it’s clear he is going hardball mode, maybe shakes things up a little… we’re too young, need some experienced professionals to help these young blokes - thats a good start… then the marquees follow.