Greg Eastwood new contract offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs table Greg Eastwood a seven-figure contract extension

Canterbury are likely to re-sign Greg Eastwood after tabling the Kiwi international a seven-figure contract extension.

Eastwood, off contract at the end of the year, has attracted interest from three rival clubs as he contemplates his future. However, the Bulldogs are hopeful of keeping him at Belmore after offering a two-year deal.

Close to re-signing: Greg Eastwood. Photo: Getty Images

Eastwood has been in good form for the "Family Club", leading to his selection for New Zealand for the Test against the Kangaroos earlier this month. It was the 24th time he has represented the Kiwis, a tally he is likely to add to during the season-ending Four Nations and next year's World Cup.

The 29-year-old made his NRL debut for the Broncos, but has played the majority of his 208 first-grade games in the blue and white during two stints at the club.

The Bulldogs have one of the most imposing packs in the game and are taking steps to keep it together. A deal to retain NSW back-rower Josh Jackson is all but done, with an announcement imminent.

Fellow Blues forward David Klemmer is also poised to commit long term, although the uncertainty about the salary cap limit for 2018 and beyond has complicated negotiations.

Fitting all of the forwards under the cap – at a time when the Bulldogs are poised to trumpet the retention of playmaker Moses Mbye – has been a delicate balancing act. However, some space will be made available from next year when the contract of Tony Williams, in the last year of a lucrative, long-term deal, expires. Williams has been dropped to the Intrust Super Premiership after a series of lacklustre performances and will need a massive spike in form – and an even bigger pay cut – to have any hope of staying at Belmore in 2017.

Eastwood has been a strong contributor to a Bulldogs side that has struggled for consistency this year. However, there were signs of improvement in last weekend's 36-4 thumping of Wests Tigers. They will face a sterner test against a Roosters side still smarting from an unexpected loss to the Titans.

"We know that we haven't played to our full potential in those games that were close," Bulldogs forward Tim Browne said on Wednesday.

"We were in all of them and we know we've got a lot of improvement to do.

"On the weekend I thought we did the little things in the game that we focused on and it would be good to get another win."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-extension-20160518-goyc2o.html#ixzz492KGJEKy
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
7 figure 2 year deal? Massive overs. How much are we going to be paying Jackson and Klemmer a year then? 700k? Ffs

Last edited:

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Surely this is rubbish ?

Seven figures for two years is $500k a season min.

Beastwood has been going alright but there is no way he worth that kind of cash.

There are a ton of players becoming available on the open market next year I thought a priority would be to nab one of them.

Another Dez masterstroke....

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol looks like our forward based style won't change.

Thanks des

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
7 figures? Lol.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The papers talk shit. How come every time a Dogs player is negotiating, they know the price? They said Hoppa was on a certain amount and too69u came out and said it was rubbish, he said it was half of what the papers were saying.

That aside, man Greggy is just not up to it anymore. He had a good game on the weekend but man come on, he averages 70 fucking metres a game for the season not good enough. Sorry I shouldt say not up to it, because he is, but he is way down on form I would like to see from him anyway.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
7 figure 2 year deal? Massive overs. How much are we going to be paying Jackson and Klemmer a year then? 700k? Ffs
We are going to lose at least one of these boys... I don't know who but someone is going to offer one of either Klem or Jacko massive overs to leave. the Mybe deal is going to put pressure on our cap..to be honest, I'd rather cut Mybe and keep two quality forwards... There's a few creative halves out there that are calling out for a chance at top grade and pretty sure Luke Brooks is not asking for as much as Mybe (though I could be wrong?)...

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't see the club offering the beast 500k per season, just a made up figure i'd say. As others have said he is down on form but so are quite a lot of players this year.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Who cares we have plenty of money, the cap is not an issue thanks greenturde.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
There was another article this morning that he's going to St Merge. Won't believe anything until he actually signs. I love the beast, hits hard as fuck in defence...but he's not worth that bulk coin

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say a lot would be TPA. Not that I have a great understanding how it all ties in but accounts for a lot I believe

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sure he had a good game against the Tigers but so did everyone else. The true reality of Eastwood's worth is to look at what he does against sides like the Broncos and Cowboys. IMO $1million or more over two years is far too much for what Eastwood is bringing to the table.

Another thing to look at is the fact that James Graham had his 30th birthday at the end of the 2015 srason and he is contracted until 2018; but as his input has been below expectations since the Good Friday 2014 schnozzle, I think we will be looking for his replacement before his contract's expiry date. Add to that there are a lot of players whose contracts are up at the end of the 2016 and 2017 seasons. So. as there will be a lot of financial juggling and player release a lazy million or more is just too much to retain Greg Eastwood.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news, love the beast.

Things to consider:

1) His salary under the cap may be staying exactly the same, with a TPA covering the new $
2) The $ amount is speculation, so could be complete bullshit
3) Sounds like Dorothy is dusted and the club are using the savings to update the current players contracts

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bulldogs have a lot of legit TPAs.

The beast had been great this year.

Well deserved upgrade.

Also I see the word...... imminent

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
gotta love the continued media effort to try and inflate EVERY bulldogs players salary

except for dorothy. even dt couldnt spin enough shit to make a she rex upgrade sound believable.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
unless.....brain fart...bulldogs board is leaking false info to the media of inflated salaries to ward other clubs off even thinking about putting in such an insultingly low offer. in which case that is brilliant.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has been rubbish.
he has not been rubbish.. He has been used poorly..

The one week where he played on the edge he was great.

But I agree 500k is overs

Status
Not open for further replies.