• Hazem El Masri

Votes: 14 21.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tough question lol but I started to follow league in the late 90s since I was born in 94 so for me its El-Masri as he was the player of my generation who stood out the most. I really miss El-Magic running around for us lol
I'm a 90 boy as well no1 had the same effect on me like El Masri but in today's game he'd get smashed too small for a winger these days. Greatst goal kicker though not matter what era you put him in for goal kicking he will eat anyone.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would have to be either Mortimer or Lamb, surely!
I get the vibe that hodko is like the Mortimer today and reynolds like the lamb today. But obviously not being able live upto what Mortimer and lamb could provide

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Showing my age here, but why does Les Johns rarely get a mention in these polls? Mortimer, Lamb and Johns are all in the same league and it would have been chaos for the opposition had they played together in the same Bulldog team.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Les Johns. He was a master in his day, and brought me back to the fold with his sheer brilliance in a bash-and-barge era, when I strayed to following VFL.

Where is the Johns option???

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Les Johns. He was a master in his day, and brought me back to the fold with his sheer brilliance in a bash-and-barge era, when I strayed to following VFL.

Where is the Johns option???
If you young guys could only see some of the things that Les Johns did on the football field he would be one of the options. I remember (at Belmore) once he took a drop-out by the opposition on the full and ran back at the other side while obviously calling players to run off him. He turned his back, dummied to both of them, and just took off. Scored under the posts. Wow!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you young guys could only see some of the things that Les Johns did on the football field he would be one of the options. I remember (at Belmore) once he took a drop-out by the opposition on the full and ran back at the other side while obviously calling players to run off him. He turned his back, dummied to both of them, and just took off. Scored under the posts. Wow!
how old are you really my friend?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He also used the forgotten rule of jumping from touch to catch a ball and make the kick out on the full. It won us a place in the finals against St.George - a massive turnaround for a team that had been cellar dwellers for years.

His speed and game sense was excellent; but it was his defence that made him the best fullback the Dogs/Berries have ever had.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm a 90 boy as well no1 had the same effect on me like El Masri but in today's game he'd get smashed too small for a winger these days. Greatst goal kicker though not matter what era you put him in for goal kicking he will eat anyone.
Hazem would get smashed these days? He retired 6 years ago!

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
James Graham should've been on the list. For the greatest forward at least. Premiership or no Premiership, he is up there with the best of the bunch.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
James Graham should've been on the list. For the greatest forward at least. Premiership or no Premiership, he is up there with the best of the bunch.
I love Graham but he's not our greatest ever forward.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me the great Turvey..simply the best!
100% agree. Mortimer is the single reason I became a dogs fan in the mid late 70's.
Almost 40 years of watching footy and Steve Mortimer is the best doggies player by some margin. Absolute match winner.

Judging by the poll most of the fans here must have been after the Mortimer era. Lamb was a great support player backing up a break made by another player. Mortimer was the one who would create the break or score brilliant solo tries through his amazing speed.

Dogs have won 8 grand finals in 80 years, half of which were in Mortimer's 12 years at the dogs.

Blistering acceleration off the mark, he was pretty much the fastest player in the comp over 50 meters along with Steve Morris (father of BMoz/JMoz).
Trademark chip over the top and regather
Sensational trademark cover defence to run down flying wingers and tackle them over the sideline. Even more incredible considering he was covering extra ground by starting from the centre of the field.

There was a video on youtube that unfortunately was taken down but in that clip the legendary commentator Frank Hyde and Bob Fulton both said Mortimer was the best halfback they've ever seen (this was in the late 80's). Also our current coach Hasler was quoted in the papers back in the late 80's when playing for Manly sharing that view.

If you haven't seen any footage of turvey there's still a few videos on you tube.

If Mortimer played in this current team we would have won the last 3 grand finals easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.