Grand final halfback? You must be kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score

You can rarely win a grand final without a champion halfback.

The clubs which have won most premierships in the last three decades all had superstars at the scrum base.

Parramatta had Peter Sterling, Canterbury-Bankstown had Steve Mortimer, Brisbane Broncos had Allan Langer, Canberra had Ricky Stuart, Melbourne had Cooper Cronk and Newcastle had Andrew Johns.

The Bulldogs this season could break the tradition with a player they hardly wanted at the start of the season.

When Des Hasler opened his premiership campaign back in March, Trent Hodkinson was entrenched as the club's No 1 halfback.

Kris Keating was on the outer and played in the NSW Cup for the first four rounds of the season.

Now he's 80 minutes away from an NRL premiership ring.

Team-of-the-century halfback Johns can't believe it.

"If someone said at the start of the year that Kris Keating would be a grand final half you'd laugh at them," Joey said on Sunday.

"No-one talks about him much but he's doing his job really, really well.

"He works hard, he listens, and sticks by the game plan."

Next Sunday night the unheralded Bulldogs halfback comes up against Kangaroos No 7 Cooper Cronk, a player on six times his salary.

The Bulldogs' recruitment guru Noel Cleal is one of the best judges in rugby league and he's not the slightest bit concerned about the possibility of a mismatch at the scrumbase.

"Des's structure is such that it's a team game, rather than relying on individuals," Cleal said. "Kris plays a role in that structure like everyone else in the side and does it very well."

His defence is outstanding, missing just 1.6 tackles per game which is the best of any halfback and means he doesn't give the opposition an obvious target to run at.

Keating is another of the many Parramatta juniors who have got away in recent years.

The Dogs originally wanted to sign Daniel Mortimer but he stayed at the Eels. Daniel Anderson cut Keating so he was snapped up by the Dogs.

Now skipper Michael Ennis is his biggest fan.

"He was overlooked behind Trent Hodkinson earlier in the year but sat down with Des and the other staff, really applied himself and worked hard on his game," Ennis said.

"It's a credit to him and it's good he's getting a rap because he's been a vital part of the side all year.

"He mightn't get headlines but the guys in the team understand and respect how important he is to us."

The Bulldogs skipper has no doubts he will handle the pressure on Sunday evening.

"Kris is very composed for a young guy," he said.

"Playing Manly in that first week of the finals and with 70,000 fans against Souths, I was super impressed how he held his nerve. He's just one of those blokes you can rely on to get the job done."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...d-final-halfback/story-fn2mcuj6-1226480085688

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
He still kicks the ball into peoples fcking heads WAY too often. He put us under so much pressure with rubbish kicks on Saturday. Hope he has a blinder on Sunday.

Gingerbread Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keating is doing his role well on that left hand side attack. I was impressed how he was able to run to the line at speed and set himself to pass to either Frankie or out back to Barba. Keating was able to position his body and do it at speed such that Souths didn't know which way he would go. In the end they had to take a gamble a few times on taking Frankie which led to Barba or Morris making the break out wide. Last year, Keating could not do this and would just run it himself. Now he is transformed by Des!

However, his kicking game is so so. I don't know how he can be charged down or kick it into an opposition player so often! That falcon on Asotasi was a classic though.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Im happy with him . His try against Manly was brilliant . Still has room for improvement particularly in his kicking game

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Needs to run the ball more at the line.

Also the little hop and double pump fool nobody.

But credit given where due. I wrote him off early in the season as another Holdsworth/dud halves player. Happy to admit I'm not only wrong, but really liking what Keating is bringing to the side. He's not a halfback but he's moulding into one nicely.

Would still like to see earlier service to our outside backs, less chargedowns and better placed kicks.

That said Slater is slower these days after his injury it seems.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
People who criticise Keating's kicking game have obviously forgotten what Hodkinson's kicks were like. They were short and soft, and easy takes by the opposition. Keating may get the odd charge down, but he can gain good distance, and find space between defenders. He is solid, and dependable.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love his kicking game this year, he seems to be quite adept at finding the grass. A huge change from last year when finding the fullback on the full was his go to option.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
You run on wearing the number 7, f#ck Asotasi's head!
He knows how to put a try on and in the circumstances has helped win the minor Premiership, we have a great side and having the worlds best number 7 isn't as important as it normally would be, ask Shifty, he just needs to be a little trouble maker with the ball and put it where it needs to be.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was one of his biggest haters this season. Even up till a few weeks ago I wasn't sold. Granted he gets charged down a bit, but his kicking game has actually been superb. His defence is also rock solid. I knew he was strong but to read he only avgs 1.6 misses a game? Wow!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I was a big advocate for getting rid of Krippy at the start of the year, but in all seriousness, right now he is doing a way better job than Hodko is capable of doing. Love that he has turned it up this year.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's kicking game has been outstanding this year. More often then not finds the grass. Will need to hav an outstanding kicking game on Sunday!

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Thinking bout this I actually miss Hodkinson :( was my favourite player last year. sad to see him not there and then next year ahhhhhh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.