Good news for Joel Romelo fans + other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
THE NRL might not agree with Des Hasler's rant about referees last weekend, but penalty trends across the past three seasons provide unqualified support for his provocative remarks.

The NRL's most analytical coach has spent the week poring over videos and statistical records of other matches that feature a big lead as he prepares to appeal a $10,000 breach notice for disparaging comment.

The Bulldogs coach was fined for insinuating his side was unfairly penalised from a conclusion that Newcastle would mount a comeback after trailing 24-0 midway through the first half.

After the whistleblowers talked about the match turning around, the Knights dominated the penalty count and didn't concede another try.

Penalty data from Fox Sports Stats reveals this is nothing new and that Hasler - or any other coach whose team establishes an early advantage - have every right to be suspicious.

The fact is a pattern dating back to 2010 shows losing teams receive far more penalties. And they are three times more likely to receive additional penalties. In almost three seasons since 2010 there's been 420 games that have seen a 12-point lead at some point. On 314 occasions the losing team has won the penalty count from that point onward. That's a remarkable success rate of 74.7 per cent.

And the Bulldogs-Newcastle match wasn't last weekend's lone example.

The Panthers also received a string of second-half penalties and favourable calls after trailing Melbourne 34-0 at the break. Sources tell us Storm coaching staff were equally filthy, despite not making their grievances public.

Other coaches have expressed anger at whistleblowers and video referees discussing penalty counts as opposed to how many infringements have been blown for a particular offence.

While Hasler has schooled himself up on all this, it won't make a difference on appeal as the breach notice only relates to the nature of his comments.

Whether or not they were warranted is irrelevant. And that in itself is disturbing enough.

THE tag of outright favouritism for this year's Dally M Medal shows why Ben Barba is already a cut above the rest.

Nevertheless, the Bulldogs are planning to trade on Barba's booming profile - and surname - with a unique venture at ANZ Stadium later this month. Club officials have been in discussions to launch a "Barba Shop", where fans can have their hair cut to the slick hipster style the star fullback has worn this season.

Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg hopes to have the salon running for the round 26 clash against the Roosters on September 1.

"But if we can't make that, then we'd definitely like to do something for the finals," he said.

WE told you a few weeks back how the Sharks were circling tough Bulldogs utility Joel Romelo who kept the competition leaders ticking in the absence of Kris Keating for the past fortnight.

Canterbury have now responded with a two-year offer for Romelo.

The issue for the Darwin-born product is how much opportunity he can get at Belmore, where Mick Ennis, Josh Reynolds and Keating are all established members of the team's spine. Should John Morris decide to continue his career in England next year, Romelo will make the perfect bench foil for Isaac de Gois at Cronulla.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/confidential-leaders-paying-a-penalty/story-fndujljl-1226447117425

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And this just in from twitter:

NRL RUMOUR MILL ‏@NRL_RUMOUR_MILL
Bulldogs Jonathon Wright and Joel Romelo in Sharks sights both players have offers on the table from the Dogs and Sharks

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will Romelo challenge Ennis as the preferred hooker for next year or will he float around as a utility?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ahh I said this the other day..

Ennis is signed till 2014. Romelo with 2 years is 2013 and 2014. After that I reckon the club are thinking Ennis will retire, and thus Romelo will take the hooker spot.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I surely hope we retain Bulldozer Romelo, he is a great asset to the team and contributes nicely with immediate impact.

Surely he will stay if he is patient he will get that perminate spot in first grade, I mean why would he leave a well established club that in on the correct path to success for money? surely being under a Des would play a huge influence on his decision that would out weigh the $$$ offering

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ennis is signed till 2014. Romelo with 2 years is 2013 and 2014. After that I reckon the club are thinking Ennis will retire, and thus Romelo will take the hooker spot.
Ennis will only be 30 then. I'd be surprised if he retired.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I can understand the offer .. he's a good back up player, on back up player pay (even though I'm not a massive fan) but thats ok

Although if I was him I'd be going somewhere else if he truely intends on playing some football.

He's not life after Ennis, as noted above, Ennis will be 30 with more years in him. Even then, an aged Romelo is not the future prospect.

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand the offer .. he's a good back up player, on back up player pay (even though I'm not a massive fan) but thats ok

Although if I was him I'd be going somewhere else if he truely intends on playing some football.

He's not life after Ennis, as noted above, Ennis will be 30 with more years in him. Even then, an aged Romelo is not the future prospect.
I agree with you..

Romelo is not the solution post Ennis....

he is a handy back up player, and that is about it

We should look at locking up Shane Pumipi....very good player

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score

i just blew

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
so with romelo and wright given contracts from the bulldogs and sharks who is left?

Only stagg and Keating i guess is left ?

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
I hope Joel Romelo plays next season and Micheal ennis goes to another club.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Heard Stagg is off to Newcastle.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ennis whilst at 30 might have a few years still left in him, his shoulders pretty much shot already, and his knees aren't the best.

I'd be surprised if (with a younger family and a smokin hot wife) he'll play on past 2015 to be honest.

Mr Invisible?
Present!!

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't see us resigning Ennis. The guy is already a massive club whore, so it won't surprise me if he finishes off his career somewhere else.

I think Romelo could be a very good guy to keep around, he is a bit of a loose cannon at the moment but he has some signs of promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.