Golden Try, not Golden Point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
I have heard that there will be some discussion about moving away from the Golden Point Rule and moving to a Golden Try Rule. I consider that if we are going to have a clear cut winner, that Golden Try is a good thing as it will put an end to the Field Goal shoot out, and bring it back to a team sport.
But, if the Golden Try was to be adopted, what happens if a ligitimate penalty is given in range of the posts...?
Your thoughts would be appreciated. Guardog.
My source were comments on SportsLine, Sky News.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% agree. Both teams put in an 80min effort, to have the game won by one guys boot just because they manage to get close enough during 1 set is not fair.

Instead of them playing it safe in extra time, like they do now, we'd see more exciting footy imo

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
extra time should be 7 on 7 for the lulz. would guarantee a try :p

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It has to be golden point for the very reason you mentioned. Golden try won't get a result most of the time.

Golden point isn't the problem. It's the two "5 minute halves" in extra time that is the problem. If it were one 10 minute period instead of two 5 minute periods you'd see less panicking, less long range field goals from too far out and more building of pressure and patience because you have more time.

Taking two kick offs wastes 2 whole minutes combined of extra time.

I've never understood why they do it the way they do (they'll say for fairness but iof you lose the toss and can't hold them out in the first set to get the ball back yourselves then you won't win anyway) and it lacks any common sense to not think about just making it one 10 minute period.

It is a little change that would make a big difference.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good idea Ben.

But also on the point of not having many results, it's not really a bad thing imo. If the teams still cannot be split after 90mins of footy, then they both deserve a point each.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
golden try and unlimited extra time. How many extra time games do you get per year? Not much. They can keep sooking if they say the season is already too long. Most teams don't even play 1 extra time game all year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good idea Ben.

But also on the point of not having many results, it's not really a bad thing imo. If the teams still cannot be split after 90mins of footy, then they both deserve a point each.
Very true and I agree. But just make it one 10 minute period without any breaks and we will get more results, less FG attempts and more tries.

If they decide to make it golden try with two 5 minute halves and a break in between we will never get a result. That will make things worse, not better. Especially as you'll be able to give away penalties to slow it down and waste time if you're under pressure.

These ideas are never well thought out.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
I dislike golden point.

Really, what's wrong with a hard fought out draw after eighty minutes?

Hog

The War Pig
Reaction score
roberts flick pass to o'meley
I agree.

Secondly, we go into Golden Try 16-16 vs Parra. We kick 4 Penalty goals for a 24-16 lead, they score a try in the last second winning the game 24-20! Even if they kick the conversion it's still 24-22 and we loose. Golden Try equals gay ;)

I agree it's an unlikely scenario but as long as it's a possability it could happen.

I also agree with no break in the extra period.

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hate golden point altogether, but if it has to exist than Golden Try is the way to go for sure... Too much luck involved in Golden Point with field goals imo...

pattenovic

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree.

Secondly, we go into Golden Try 16-16 vs Parra. We kick 4 Penalty goals for a 24-16 lead, they score a try in the last second winning the game 24-20! Even if they kick the conversion it's still 24-22 and we loose. Golden Try equals gay ;)

I agree it's an unlikely scenario but as long as it's a possability it could happen.

I also agree with no break in the extra period.
why are we kicking penalty goals if its golden try??

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
I also like the idea of cutting down players on the field, but if thats the case then who comes off? It cant be any forwards as they are a must, maybe one of the wingers or something.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Golden Point = ideal.
Golden Try = Not that great.
Golden Shower = definitely not ideal.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
they should make it golden try-silver point

a try ends it entirely and a point or penalty goal puts you ahead but you need to retain the lead until the end of extra time

jamesb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This whole concept should only be used for games that count - Finals games. In the regular season who cares if there is a draw, get a point each

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
just piss the whole golden point/golden try thing off. its a stupid rule, to have in every single competition game is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.