General so concussed he thought Lamb played with him

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CANTERBURY fullback Luke Patten was so concussed after pulling off a match-saving tackle with his head that he asked Terry Lamb if the long-retired Bulldogs great had played alongside him in the narrow win against Melbourne last night.

The Dogs kept their season alive by edging out the Storm at Adelaide Oval. But while veteran Patten, 30, can remember playing in the City Of Churches back when it had a team, he will have little recollection of what may be his final visit to the picturesque venue.

With Storm winger Matt Duffie looking certain to to score off a Billy Slater pass with 14 minutes left and Canterbury leading by just six, Patten came across in cover and knocked Duffie through the corner post - with his forehead. Left in a heap on the turf by the collision, he was helped from the field and played no more part in the contest.

CANTERBURY fullback Luke Patten was so concussed after pulling off a match-saving tackle with his head that he asked Terry Lamb if the long-retired Bulldogs great had played alongside him in the narrow win against Melbourne last night.

The Dogs kept their season alive by edging out the Storm at Adelaide Oval. But while veteran Patten, 30, can remember playing in the City Of Churches back when it had a team, he will have little recollection of what may be his final visit to the picturesque venue.

With Storm winger Matt Duffie looking certain to to score off a Billy Slater pass with 14 minutes left and Canterbury leading by just six, Patten came across in cover and knocked Duffie through the corner post - with his forehead. Left in a heap on the turf by the collision, he was helped from the field and played no more part in the contest.

Lamb, who played for the Dogs between 1984 and 1996, is now an assistant coach and told the Sun-Herald: "We were sitting on the bench and I asked him how he was. He said, 'were you playing with me out there?' I said 'yes', straight away. Then he said 'oh, bull****'. It was quite funny. It was a pretty hard crash."

Depending on other round 18 results, the Belmore boys could leapfrog Newcastle and Parramatta after putting together three consecutive wins for the first time this year.

Second-rower Jamal Idris - close to his team's best last night - said of Patten's heroics: "That just shows you how desperate we are, you know what I mean? A lot of fullbacks wouldn't put their body on the line like that. He didn't care whether he [Duffie] was already out or who was around him. He just thought, 'I've got to jump at him'. That's desperation, that's courage and commitment."

Melbourne scored first last night in front of an encouraging 10,350 fans when five-eighth Brett Finch chased halfback Cooper Cronk's kick into the in-goal.

The Dogs hit back when winger Bryson Goodwin crossed in the corner and converted from the sideline, before Slater became the next beneficiary of a Cronk kick and centre-cum-second-rower Idris flew high to make it 12-12 for half-time.

Idris starred again when he lobbed an overhead pass for centre Shane Neumann to score midway through the second session. Goodwin converted and after Patten's head games, added a penalty goal.

But with four minutes to go, after Melbourne forward Sika Manu bullocked over and Cameron Smith's conversion almost came too quickly for the linesmen, there was a grandstand finish.

And it unravelled in the most innocuous fashion, Melbourne forwards rushing in to pack a scrum with three seconds left. When the makeshift lock, Slater, lifted his head from between the second-rowers' behinds, "time on" was waved and the game was over.

Captain Smith was forthright when asked about the Storm's prospects with no points to play for and two months left in the regular season.

"We came up against a side that was playing for their season here," he said. "We didn't have anything to play for.

Depending on other round 18 results, the Belmore boys could leapfrog Newcastle and Parramatta after putting together three consecutive wins for the first time this year.

Second-rower Jamal Idris - close to his team's best last night - said of Patten's heroics: "That just shows you how desperate we are, you know what I mean? A lot of fullbacks wouldn't put their body on the line like that. He didn't care whether he [Duffie] was already out or who was around him. He just thought, 'I've got to jump at him'. That's desperation, that's courage and commitment."

Melbourne scored first last night in front of an encouraging 10,350 fans when five-eighth Brett Finch chased halfback Cooper Cronk's kick into the in-goal.

The Dogs hit back when winger Bryson Goodwin crossed in the corner and converted from the sideline, before Slater became the next beneficiary of a Cronk kick and centre-cum-second-rower Idris flew high to make it 12-12 for half-time.

Idris starred again when he lobbed an overhead pass for centre Shane Neumann to score midway through the second session. Goodwin converted and after Patten's head games, added a penalty goal.

But with four minutes to go, after Melbourne forward Sika Manu bullocked over and Cameron Smith's conversion almost came too quickly for the linesmen, there was a grandstand finish.

And it unravelled in the most innocuous fashion, Melbourne forwards rushing in to pack a scrum with three seconds left. When the makeshift lock, Slater, lifted his head from between the second-rowers' behinds, "time on" was waved and the game was over.

Captain Smith was forthright when asked about the Storm's prospects with no points to play for and two months left in the regular season.

"We came up against a side that was playing for their season here," he said. "We didn't have anything to play for.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How about your fans mr Smith. How about the fat salary that allows your side to play together when others have to play for less. Does pride have any bearing in your life because even thats something most teams will play for. "Nothing to play for" is probably the most stupid thing you could say in your situation and any scrap of sympathy you had from me is now out the window. I'd be seeing if Rory Kostjasyn has anything to play for if that attitude doesn't turn around.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a way to help save your team, legendary stuff, crazy bugger.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Fucck I hate smith, I wish he would piss off from rugby league

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lamb assistant coach?? Someone explain the bold text didn't get it lol

THE BIRD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How about your fans mr Smith. How about the fat salary that allows your side to play together when others have to play for less. Does pride have any bearing in your life because even thats something most teams will play for. "Nothing to play for" is probably the most stupid thing you could say in your situation and any scrap of sympathy you had from me is now out the window. I'd be seeing if Rory Kostjasyn has anything to play for if that attitude doesn't turn around.
i was thinking the same thing...

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
The charities that get the money from all melbourne points scored might not be too happy with that statement either...

Maybe he just didnt think about his choice of words...

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just can't believe Smith would come out and say that.

As others have said, what about the sponsor, charities, fans who turn up every week, fans who turn on the tv, playing for rep honors, playing for their salary(ies?), etc.

What a complete imbecile.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahaha. Poor Patten. Balls of steel.

And fck up, Smith you magilla gorllia looking cnt. You said "we're not playing for points" at least 3 times in your press conference. REALLY, YOU HAIRY CNT?! Did Melbourne get stripped of all their points and can't accumulate any more?! Thanks, Sasquatch, I was living under a rock and just found out about that after your 4th loss in 5 games. It's a good thing you mentioned it you, fcking hairball. You lost to a better team. Fck up and move along, Chewbacca.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

And fck up, Smith you magilla gorllia looking cnt. You said "we're not playing for points" at least 3 times in your press conference. REALLY, YOU HAIRY CNT?! Did Melbourne get stripped of all their points and can't accumulate any more?! Thanks, Sasquatch, I was living under a rock and just found out about that after your 4th loss in 5 games. It's a good thing you mentioned it you, fcking hairball. You lost to a better team. Fck up and move along, Chewbacca.
lol, did youw ake up on the wrong side of bed today bro ?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lol, did youw ake up on the wrong side of bed today bro ?
Hahaha. I'm actually very happy. Dogs won, McLaren did very well last night and Spainelona won the WC. Pretty pumped TBH.

Just that fcking hairy cnt pisses me off. Chewbacca lost to a better team, just say that and cut out the BS excuses.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score

AndrOO! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry, can you just clarify.. Is Smith really hairy..? I couldn't really understand from your post :p

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
AndrOO! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry, can you just clarify.. Is Smith really hairy..? I couldn't really understand from your post :p
Hahaha. Somewhat hairy. :p

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I will make it clearer in the future. Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.