Gay marriage plebiscite - Result YES to SSM

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

• Yes

• No

• Not Voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great campaigning by the yes team that's all I got to say.

Rainbows are very appealing to human senses. It's a bit like music was to the rats and the pied piper , people just follow without conviction.

For example a previous slum village in Indonesia was painted in rainbow colours and now is a major tourist attraction.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I heard 2 nurses talking about this today, apparently the top 9 or something no voting electorates were all Labour seats.

I thought the left were the progressive ones?
Top 5, but yes. The top 5 No voting electorates were Labor seats but it's funny 'cause those seats are also multicultural areas with large Muslim population which kind of makes sense. While Muslims are less likely to vote Yes, they're also less likely to vote for Liberals as Labor have more friendly immigration policies while the Liberals did the whole "Stop the boats" thing. One of those electorates is headed by a Labor member who is anti-gay marriage.

The part where it becomes funny is the Liberal controlled electorates. The Liberal controlled electorates that gained the most Yes votes are the ones run by anti-gay marriage Liberal members. The only ones that were really consistent to their constituency was the Nationals. The electorates controlled by the Nationals voted a large amount of No's which meets with the anti-gay marriage Nationals stance.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I'm glad this is over and done with. I'm sick of seeing the scare campaign the no voters were trying to run. Now we just have to wait and see how this plays out through the parliamentary process.No doubt it will be a circus and directed in whatever way both parties think it will bring the voters their way. In the end it's cost taxpayers a hell of a lot of money that should have been spent on real problems.
Yep

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, while discussing gay marriage and hearing "two nurses", I have to admit that I thought that story was going to go somewhere else.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You do know labor was going to change this anyway right?
True. But I'm pretty sure Labor were hoping "No" would win.

Gay marriage has been a political tool for a long time. I have to give props to Turnbull for a very smart political tool. Both sides knew that they would get a big boost by passing gay marriage legislation. There has been about 13 same-sex marriage bills put forward over the past decade and they've all been voted down for one reason. No one wants the other side to get the credit.

If Turnbull put forward the gay marriage bill without the plebiscite then it would be voted down by Labor so that Labor could put the bill forward when they took power, and that bill would be voted down by Liberals. It's a never ending cycle.

Now that we've had the plebiscite it has become very heavily focused and very real. Liberals can now put forward the bill knowing that if Labor votes against it then Labor will have no chance of winning the next election. So Labor are forced to concede defeat and support the bill. If the plebiscite came back as a "No" win then Liberals wouldn't put forward a bill and Labor would run their campaign of "Liberals are evil, we're the heroes that'll give you same-sex marriage"

With this move Turnbull may have saved the Liberals from defeat at the next election. Of course Liberals could still screw themselves by ousting Turnbull which will push everyone to vote Labor and Nationals.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Rainbows are very appealing to human senses. It's a bit like music was to the rats and the pied piper , people just follow without conviction.

For example a previous slum village in Indonesia was painted in rainbow colours and now is a major tourist attraction.

just accept your side lost and your opinion does NOT reflect the majority. This post comes across as a little bitter Wolfie. Just accept it. Most of Australia does NOT agree with you. That is the reality. Luckily, nobody is forcing you to live by their ideals.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Looks like they followed the lead of Rio.

Wahesh

Reaction score
True. But I'm pretty sure Labor were hoping "No" would win.

Gay marriage has been a political tool for a long time. I have to give props to Turnbull for a very smart political tool. Both sides knew that they would get a big boost by passing gay marriage legislation. There has been about 13 same-sex marriage bills put forward over the past decade and they've all been voted down for one reason. No one wants the other side to get the credit.

If Turnbull put forward the gay marriage bill without the plebiscite then it would be voted down by Labor so that Labor could put the bill forward when they took power, and that bill would be voted down by Liberals. It's a never ending cycle.

Now that we've had the plebiscite it has become very heavily focused and very real. Liberals can now put forward the bill knowing that if Labor votes against it then Labor will have no chance of winning the next election. So Labor are forced to concede defeat and support the bill. If the plebiscite came back as a "No" win then Liberals wouldn't put forward a bill and Labor would run their campaign of "Liberals are evil, we're the heroes that'll give you same-sex marriage"

With this move Turnbull may have saved the Liberals from defeat at the next election. Of course Liberals could still screw themselves by ousting Turnbull which will push everyone to vote Labor and Nationals.
That's right - and as they say politics is a very dirty game.

What annoyed me a well is that businesses were using this to "cash-in" on the gay people, ie, saying they support gay marriage to get the gay people to do business with them. ANZ bank - prime example.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's right - and as they say politics is a very dirty game.

What annoyed me a well is that businesses were using this to "cash-in" on the gay people, ie, saying they support gay marriage to get the gay people to do business with them. ANZ bank - prime example.
I don't think it was for the gay people. I think it was two points. First was that some of them actually support gay marriage. Otherwise they would be alienating their customers by supporting something that they knew their customers didn't want. The other is for the young people support. Not necessarily gay people, but supporters of gay people. The people who would say "My friend is gay and they support gay people so I'll go to them"

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
just accept your side lost and your opinion does NOT reflect the majority. This post comes across as a little bitter Wolfie. Just accept it. Most of Australia does NOT agree with you. That is the reality. Luckily, nobody is forcing you to live by their ideals.
I could accept it if it was something that most Australians cared about but the majority of those who voted yes, just voted because it didnt affect them and wanted to join the fun people'

I'm OK with people getting married to whoever they want to but don't fuck with the real meaning of marriage ( the unit of family and procreation of the human race) .

Schools need to teach the mainstream meaning of marriage and not confuse kids.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I could accept it if it was something that most Australians cared about but the majority of those who voted yes, just voted because it didnt affect them and wanted to join the fun people'

I'm OK with people getting married to whoever they want to but don't fuck with the real meaning of marriage ( the unit of family and procreation of the human race) .

Your first sentence does come across as sour grapes. You don't know everyone's reason's why they voted Yes.

Soon "mainstream marriage" will be one between two people, as this is the law, and how celebrants will have to word it for the declaration to be legal. And this is how schools should and will be teaching it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It is good to see that most No voters in the public spectrum have graciously accepted defeat. Most have said "This is a democracy and the people voted Yes so it should now be legislated"

Not many people carrying out the "Nooooo! why won't anyone think of the children?!?" backlash.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Top 5, but yes. The top 5 No voting electorates were Labor seats but it's funny 'cause those seats are also multicultural areas with large Muslim population which kind of makes sense. While Muslims are less likely to vote Yes, they're also less likely to vote for Liberals as Labor have more friendly immigration policies while the Liberals did the whole "Stop the boats" thing. One of those electorates is headed by a Labor member who is anti-gay marriage.

The part where it becomes funny is the Liberal controlled electorates. The Liberal controlled electorates that gained the most Yes votes are the ones run by anti-gay marriage Liberal members. The only ones that were really consistent to their constituency was the Nationals. The electorates controlled by the Nationals voted a large amount of No's which meets with the anti-gay marriage Nationals stance.
Immigrants voting for Labor is not so hard and fast.

Few Chinese would ever vote for Labor, for example.

National electorates were interesting. None strictly voted No (that I am aware of). 2 in QLD are held by the LNP, which up here is one party (as opposed to two working in coalition).

Even my home electorate of Riverina went 55/45 (I was a bit surprised)

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey, as long as my Church remains unaffected (which is looking increasingly likely) then I couldn't give 2 toots about this!

If those people want to do what they believe it right, let them do it, I'll let the higher power deal with them :grinning:
But in your opinion anyone who doesn't follow "your" higher power is in the same boat anyway. So I don't see how this is anything new, if anything this would have added less than 0.1% to that pool of people who you say are going to hell or whatever it is you believe in.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It is good to see that most No voters in the public spectrum have graciously accepted defeat. Most have said "This is a democracy and the people voted Yes so it should now be legislated"

Not many people carrying out the "Nooooo! why won't anyone think of the children?!?" backlash.
They kind of are.

Many (like Lyle Shelton) have already said they will continue to fight for religious freedom, famly blah blah blah. That's the same thing IMO.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Well with all due respect, that's just your opinion and it does NOT reflect the majority view of this country. Polling has suggested the majority of Australians have been in favour of legislating ssm for years....your attempt to say most yes voters didn't care is just silly. The people who didn't care didn't bother going through the process of voting. The plebiscite was deliberately set up so that people would have to care in order to bother to vote and now you're saying voters didn't care.

It just comes across as sour grapes tbh. Your view does not reflect majority opinion in this country and ssm will happen whether you are on board with it or not.

It's really that simple IMO.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You're very obvious

Wahesh

Reaction score
But in your opinion anyone who doesn't follow "your" higher power is in the same boat anyway. So I don't see how this is anything new, if anything this would have added less than 0.1% to that pool of people who you say are going to hell or whatever it is you believe in.
I'm not saying that they are going to hell - I will not judge these people. They are who they are and I acknowledge that being homosexual is not a choice. I didn't say that those who don't have the same views as me are in that boat either - there are gay people involved within Christianity too, and there are gay people who voted No.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your first sentence does come across as sour grapes. You don't know everyone's reason's why they voted Yes.

Soon "mainstream marriage" will be one between two people, as this is the law, and how celebrants will have to word it for the declaration to be legal. And this is how schools should and will be teaching it.
I've held that opinion throughout the whole campaign because that's all I've heard from the yes voters.

Teaching gay marriage as mainstream will be a mispresentation of normal

Status
Not open for further replies.