Game-breakers,Match winners,X-factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs Game-breakers,Match winners,X-factor

Call it what you will, but having seen the debate & subsequent reaction to Brett Morris signing with the Dragons, I think the reason most were disappointed are because we've missed out on a player who can win you a game on his own, with some extraordinary play.Add him to our backline and we'd be a pretty lethal combination. It's why these players can command the big $$$, because they can make something happen out of nothing, and why the comparison to players like Heka is laughable (hope I'm proven wrong with that one by the way!)

Got me thinking who we have that fits into this category and how we compare to other teams.

IMO our current Game breakers/Match winners are
Patten- speed, anticipation, support, swerve
Josh Morris-speed anticipation
Jamal-Strength, athleticism, height, speed?
Eastwood-speed, footwork, ball skills,crunching defence
Ennis-ball playing skills, kicking game
Roberts? -Footwork,acceleration, strength

We have other really important players crucial to the success of the team like Noddy,Bundy bear, Stagg, Ryan etc but I think they bring another element to our game than the guys mentioned above.

Any thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
i agree with your game breakers and match winners...i would want the ball in either of these players hands in those kinds of situations

X

XxFoVoSxX

noone said heka was a gamebreaker dude.. you missed the point. When i stated dw about buying another player and focus on a junior as in heka, heka may very well develop into something more. How can we know if he is or isnt "game breaking" type material if we dont develop? Instead of spending cash on other teams players, why not just focus on him. He is more then capable to fill the void. Whether or not he is game breaking material, we will never know unless we give him a chance and develop him some more.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
noone said heka was a gamebreaker dude.. you missed the point. When i stated dw about buying another player and focus on a junior as in heka, heka may very well develop into something more. How can we know if he is or isnt "game breaking" type material if we dont develop? Instead of spending cash on other teams players, why not just focus on him. He is more then capable to fill the void. Whether or not he is game breaking material, we will never know unless we give him a chance and develop him some more.
I'm sure he is capable of filling the void, (and as I said I hope he proves me wrong!), but don't you wonder why our coaches and management went after Brett Morris?

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hazem as a runner probably not but Hazem as a goalkicker has won us many games so Hazem could be considered as a match winner:grinning:

X

XxFoVoSxX

I'm sure he is capable of filling the void, (and as I said I hope he proves me wrong!), but don't you wonder why our coaches and management went after Brett Morris?
that is blatantly obvious "we're the family club". Josh Morris and Brett Morris on the same team equals family and of course for his great ability. Brett Morris is a great finisher and from we have seen so is Heka.

It would have been stupid of dogs management not to attempt to sign Brett because Brett and Josh both have an understanding of one anothers game. Think back to last year, how good was their combination together? Pretty damn good if you ask me.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
that is blatantly obvious "we're the family club". Josh Morris and Brett Morris on the same team equals family and of course for his great ability. Brett Morris is a great finisher and from we have seen so is Heka.

It would have been stupid of dogs management not to attempt to sign Brett because Brett and Josh both have an understanding of one anothers game. Think back to last year, how good was their combination together? Pretty damn good if you ask me.
Man, we're in violent agreement here!
The question is do management feel we need another game breaker type a'la Brett Morris, who they were prepared to pay big $$$ for or not? You seem to think no, I seem to think yes.
Time will tell....will be interesting to see the next move.

X

XxFoVoSxX

Man, we're in violent agreement here!
The question is do management feel we need another game breaker type a'la Brett Morris, who they were prepared to pay big $$$ for or not? You seem to think no, I seem to think yes.
Time will tell....will be interesting to see the next move.
tbh i dont rate Brett as a game breaker... Simply because he is a winger and the ball most of the time gets fed to him by his inside centre partner who does the majority of the work to get him through.. Although if he is playing at fullback he may/may not be one.

I haven't seen his "game breaking" credentials at all... Game breakers equal Inglis(when in fine form), Brett Stewart and the list goes on.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen his "game breaking" credentials at all... Game breakers equal Inglis(when in fine form), Brett Stewart and the list goes on.
C'mon!
I'll give you a recent example....The Dragons game where he shredded us on a kick return....Patten saved our bacon with an ankle tap on Soward....that's a "game breaking" kind of play...he put it on himself without lead up inside him, as you've alluded to. He has the ability to do that kind of thing and has done since breaking into grade...the ability to get the ball & go as the Americans would say "ALL-THE-WAY!"

Point of the thread was actually to show we do have some real game breakers across the park which gives us a good balanced team which compares well with big name teams like Bris & Melb.

X

XxFoVoSxX

C'mon!
I'll give you a recent example....The Dragons game where he shredded us on a kick return....Patten saved our bacon with an ankle tap on Soward....that's a "game breaking" kind of play...he put it on himself without lead up inside him, as you've alluded to. He has the ability to do that kind of thing and has done since breaking into grade...the ability to get the ball & go as the Americans would say "ALL-THE-WAY!"

Point of the thread was actually to show we do have some real game breakers across the park which gives us a good balanced team which compares well with big name teams like Bris & Melb.
but that wasnt a game breaking play? That was just a shiit defensive play on our part which he exposed.. nothing more nothing less.

Sonny Bill was a game breaker..

A game breaker is someone who can change the tides of a game whether in a losing or winning position.. someone who can pull off great defensive plays to kill momentum etc etc... thats a game breaker.

im not playing down Bretts playing ability but you're giving him way more then he deserves champ.. the kids good but he isnt that good.. he is just made out to look better then what he really is..

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im not playing down Bretts playing ability but you're giving him way more then he deserves champ.. the kids good but he isnt that good.. he is just made out to look better then what he really is..

Ok now you're making me laugh, thanks!
We're making him look better than he is, ok!

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but that wasnt a game breaking play? That was just a shiit defensive play on our part which he exposed.. nothing more nothing less.

Sonny Bill was a game breaker..

A game breaker is someone who can change the tides of a game whether in a losing or winning position.. someone who can pull off great defensive plays to kill momentum etc etc... thats a game breaker.

I have to agree on SBW. He won us a couple of games and was definately our X-factor.

Roosters game in 2007..ripped 'em by himself.

Dragons in 07..we were down 14-0 but his strip 5M out of the line off a scrum to score was sensational. Definately a game breaker there.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have no genuine X Factor players.

Broncos - Lockyer, Hunt
Titans - Prince
Cowboys - Bowen, Thurston
Penrith - Jennings

etc.

There is noone in our lineup that qualifies and the guys listed above I wouldnt rate as Xfactor players.

We have one brewing in Idris but he is still yet to fully bloom.

It doesnt matter anyway as we are playing well as a team so dont rely on individual performances much.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
if your going to pick 1 game breaker in the team i would say ennis.

hes smart with the ball, great kicking game, speed, aggressive and can see sence opening/gaps

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
magdog you never give up.

the dogs chased brett hard because of his finishing ability and pure speed. obviously they had plans for him, but we missed out on him didnt we? so instead of crying over spilt milk why not have a crack with Heka? You dont just make the leap from Flegg to First Grade by fluke, the kid is talented... not as good as Brett Morris but one of our better options.

now chill the **** out lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't believe people are saying we don't have "X factor" players or gamebreakers.

Magdog is spot on. You don't have to be a superstar or be on 400k to have the ability to break the game wide open with a little bit of magic.

Ben Roberts is one of the most elusive players in the comp with the ball in his hand and constantly makes half breaks, full breaks etc. His deceptive strength has him breaking tackles all of the time.

The General is also a game breaker. You saw his run against Saints a few weeks ago when there really wasn't that much on. Speed, deceptive strength/tackle breaking, elusiveness and his support play are all traits that make his such a gamebreaker. You saw again on Sunday against Newcastle with how many tackle busts/line breaks he made just how much he can change a game.

Same with Morris (throw him the ball and his blinding pace and strength can make something out of nothing) and Idris (again, with his strength and if he runs determined enough, he can break a game wide open with one play). Ennis also can easily change a game with his scheming play out of dummy half.

So it isn't about having a $BW type player who is a superstar or who will dominate, it is about having a type of player who can change things instantaneously with a bit of magic,speed, skill, strength and so on. And we have plenty of those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.