Opinion Francis Molo ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three clubs interested in ex-Origin forward
He is off-contract at the end of the season.

ETHAN LEE CHALK
WRITER | MARCH 13, 2024 - 8:20A

Off-contract at the end of the season, a St George Illawarra Dragons forward has reportedly caught the attention of three rival clubs looking to sign him.

Yet to sign a new contract for next season, Wide World of Sports understands that three clubs have shown interest in signing Francis Molo for the 2025 season, with one of those clubs being the New Zealand Warriors.

Born in Auckland, New Zealand, before moving to Australia, Molo could be a direct replacement for Addin Fonua-Blake in the forward pack, who will leave for the Cronulla Sharks at the end of the season.

An experienced middle forward, Molo has played 40 games for the Dragons since moving there from the North Queensland Cowboys at the start of the 2022 season and is on approximately $600,000 per year.

A two-time Origin representative for Queensland, Molo has also played for the Brisbane Broncos (2014-15) and represented the Cook Islands and Samoa in the international arena.

"There is plenty of interest but we are in no hurry," Molo's new manager Wade Rushton of Rush Sports told Wide World of Sports.

"The Dragons want to keep him but there is also outside interest - we will let him get a few games under his belt and then see where things stand."

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Three clubs interested in ex-Origin forward
He is off-contract at the end of the season.

ETHAN LEE CHALK
WRITER | MARCH 13, 2024 - 8:20A

Off-contract at the end of the season, a St George Illawarra Dragons forward has reportedly caught the attention of three rival clubs looking to sign him.

Yet to sign a new contract for next season, Wide World of Sports understands that three clubs have shown interest in signing Francis Molo for the 2025 season, with one of those clubs being the New Zealand Warriors.

Born in Auckland, New Zealand, before moving to Australia, Molo could be a direct replacement for Addin Fonua-Blake in the forward pack, who will leave for the Cronulla Sharks at the end of the season.

An experienced middle forward, Molo has played 40 games for the Dragons since moving there from the North Queensland Cowboys at the start of the 2022 season and is on approximately $600,000 per year.

A two-time Origin representative for Queensland, Molo has also played for the Brisbane Broncos (2014-15) and represented the Cook Islands and Samoa in the international arena.

"There is plenty of interest but we are in no hurry," Molo's new manager Wade Rushton of Rush Sports told Wide World of Sports.

"The Dragons want to keep him but there is also outside interest - we will let him get a few games under his belt and then see where things stand."
What the hell is the point of a rumours section?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell is the point of a rumours section?
It's not really a rumour though. We don't know who the other clubs are besides Warriors. I'm interested to know if he's a decent player worth considering for us and for around 600K they say he's on now

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Utoikamanu..
Reckon he'd exercise his get out clause to join us?
At what point would it be possible to talk to his manager?
Mid year if Tiges down the bottom with no prospect of making the 8?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I fear we'd end up paying overs due to the shortage of props. Let's face it, he's not the pack leader that we need, career Q cup player who's been in and out of FG. Don't want too many of these types taking up cap space. I'd rather wait it out and save the money to find a young Mark O' Meley from the Roosters or Broncos, they won't be able to keep them all.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reckon he'd exercise his get out clause to join us?
At what point would it be possible to talk to his manager?
Mid year if Tiges down the bottom with no prospect of making the 8?
2 months ago. After AFB decided on sharks.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s already on a pretty good salary for his ability according to that report and it sounds like his manager is angling for an increase. Unless he joins the squad immediately via a release I don’t think it’s a worth it for us.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NRL needs a fkn transfer window.
I understand teams locking up forwards in case their needed, but at least if there was a window, you’d be able to approach a team about a player, when it’s obvious they won’t need him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a solid prop but he's not worth close to 600k or paying big money for.. Someone like May who is still young and has massive upside is worth that money but it looks like that ship has sailed and he'll probably stay at the Roosters.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s already on a pretty good salary for his ability according to that report and it sounds like his manager is angling for an increase. Unless he joins the squad immediately via a release I don’t think it’s a worth it for us.
More likely, he and the Dragons want to do an extension, but not @$600k.
So, his manager is shopping him around to show the Dragons what market-value currently is. Is that $600k - who knows?

Yes, good props are welcome, but if you're asking for $600k+, you'd better be an Alpha (and an aggressive one at that).
Not sure he is that (at least in our context). Solid number 2 maybe (that could be taken one of two ways, I suppose...)

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess if Tino can con 1.3m for 10 years , anything is possible

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
More likely, he and the Dragons want to do an extension, but not @$600k.
So, his manager is shopping him around to show the Dragons what market-value currently is. Is that $600k - who knows?

Yes, good props are welcome, but if you're asking for $600k+, you'd better be an Alpha (and an aggressive one at that).
Not sure he is that (at least in our context). Solid number 2 maybe (that could be taken one of two ways, I suppose...)
Lol

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess if Tino can con 1.3m for 10 years , anything is possible
Tino is the modern day Nate Myles (ex Roosters player). Bloke turns i to Gorden Tallis for QLD and does nothing for his club

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Has there ever been a better time to be a middle forward and off contract
Right?! It's the Haas effect. You've got the agile guys with big tanks like Haas, Fonua-Blake, JFH and Tapine, and then the big boppers like Leota and Collins, all of them are just carving it up over the last few years. Worth every cent too.