Fox

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's never been the big yardage winger. But a half chance for most wingers for him is virtually a 75% chance. Our backline this year will give him more of those chances and there's not many I'd prefer to see with those chances.

Let's put those stats into practice. 3 tries tonight with one likely try bombed due to the dropped intercept.

I honestly thought he was a luxury buy when we got him. And if we're out bid for him when he comes off contract so be it. But he's been great for us when he's fit. But again, he's not the yardage winger people want, just an incredible finisher. If freeing up his wage meant we could pick up a top 5 halfback or an 80 minute prop that dominated the opposition id understand wanting to see him moved in. But moving him on now would just mean we had stupid money to throw at a poor player.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's never been the big yardage winger. But a half chance for most wingers for him is virtually a 75% chance. Our backline this year will give him more of those chances and there's not many I'd prefer to see with those chances.

Let's put those stats into practice. 3 tries tonight with one likely try bombed due to the dropped intercept.

I honestly thought he was a luxury buy when we got him. And if we're out bid for him when he comes off contract so be it. But he's been great for us when he's fit. But again, he's not the yardage winger people want, just an incredible finisher. If freeing up his wage meant we could pick up a top 5 halfback or an 80 minute prop that dominated the opposition id understand wanting to see him moved in. But moving him on now would just mean we had stupid money to throw at a poor player.
Great post. We don't need more yardage backs when Kiraz can run 300m and Tracey, Critta and Xerri can also pitch in. JAC is money well spent when as you say he can burn pretty much any opposition if he gets room on the outside. And when he has guys like Burton, Kikau and Xerri feeding him good ball you just have to sit back and think how lucky we are to have him.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that he has tried to improve his yardage game - he is prepared to make tough runs and he has definitely developed his body to be more competitive in heavy contact.

It’s up to his his team mates to use his god given natural ability - at the end of the day he is a sports car not a 4 wheel drive!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like that he has tried to improve his yardage game - he is prepared to make tough runs and he has definitely developed his body to be more competitive in heavy contact.

It’s up to his his team mates to use his god given natural ability - at the end of the day he is a sports car not a 4 wheel drive!!
Agree, he has noticeably put a bit more bulk on, and is going into contact looking to get advantage. He's also noticeably trying to put more sting into his tackles on the rare occasion he is called on to make one, and in fact making better use of his speed in defense to snuff out opposition spreads. He did that at least once last night. He was criticised for going for the intercept too much in the past, but if he keeps mixing up his defence in that context, getting a good ball and all dominant tackle or three early in the game, it actually puts the opposition off a bit and makes an intercept more possible. Remember late in the game last night when we had a four point lead he almost pulled it off, it was a tough ask, but he had the speed to get up there and get a full hand to the ball, if that sticks he is in under the posts and we win the game.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think fox is the type of winger who performs well in a team that's performing well. That's to say he scores tries others might not, but only when space is created for him.

He's not the strong carries out of your own end type of winger.

Given our left edge is proving a handful, he should do well.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This year he should be up there in top try scorers if he stays healthy. No excuse with the speed, size and skill playing inside him this year

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Love the fox and he knows how to score a try,I just wish he was a little better at yardage carry’s coming out of our own end it’s so important to get the set on the front foot, I thought bulking up in the offseason would help but it doesn’t seem to have.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Love the fox and he knows how to score a try,I just wish he was a little better at yardage carry’s coming out of our own end it’s so important to get the set on the front foot, I thought bulking up in the offseason would help but it doesn’t seem to have.
More to do with his decision making. He thinks he can dance around defenders when in reality he almost always waltzes into defenders at low speed and off balance lol. With Kiraz, Tracey, Critta and Xerri it isn't too much of an issue which we saw with Storm struggling to pin us deep in our half. Throw Taaffe in at fullback however and it's a whole different story..

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

relying on backs for yardage is not a strong strategy, if they do, great, take it as a bonus, however forwards are the ones responsible.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
relying on backs for yardage is not a strong strategy, if they do, great, take it as a bonus, however forwards are the ones responsible.
And if he insists using backs for yardage he has to play Skelton.

I'd rather drive a Hummer through a wall instead of a Corolla...