News Four years in the NRL wilderness... now a Dogs lifeline has ‘comeback kid’ ready to explode

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No chance!! A whole year? That's laughable. Kiraz is not a great centre imo, and will play wing this year. Xerri will start round 1, im certain of it.
You expect him to be match fit by round one with only 2 pre-season games under his belt after sitting at home for four years? Xerri is a talent but he wasn't exactly Greg Inglis when he left, he lost 4 years of development so I imagine it will take a while to get his eye in.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've got no idea what to expect from this guy, he seems to be ticking all the right boxes but I can't think of anyone else who's been out of the game for four years and made a successful comeback to FG.

I imagine he'd be super fit but talk of trying to make the round 1 team after having not played a single game in four years is a bit ambitious.

No way he pushes out Kiraz and Crtta in the centres.

I do want to see him do well though but it might take a full year.
Still only 23, he’ll be close the fastest centres in the game and if possesses the same footwork as he use to have he’ll be one the centres in the game by the end of the year.
Kiraz is a winger in my opinion and I’d probably choose Wilson over him anyway.
exciting times for the club though.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You expect him to be match fit by round one with only 2 pre-season games under his belt after sitting at home for four years? Xerri is a talent but he wasn't exactly Greg Inglis when he left, he lost 4 years of development so I imagine it will take a while to get his eye in.
Sitting at home for 4 years? Are you the full quid? Do you live under a rock? Footballers are not the one and only fittest people on the planet. My friend is a nurse and she runs marathons.
No one has said he is "Greg inglis". Inglis had a long and successful career to earn his praise, Xerri has barely begun.
By the way, no one will be match fit come round 1, that comes after playing matches.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People underestimate what it takes to be a professional athlete at the elite level. The dude might be "fit" for a game or two but an NRL season is far more than just one or two games. The strength and conditioning team are going to want to believe his body is ready to handle the weekly grind and not just a few games before dropping off. There's also the development side to it like you mentioned.

Maybe he starts in reserves, maybe he misses a game here or there and is carefully managed or maybe he's a genetic freak and is good to go come round 1. Just find it funny that some fans are so confident about him slotting in immediately as if nothing happened.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why he says Critta is on 1 flank so the other one is up for grabs? I thought we bought Crighton to turn him into a functioning FB.?
Secondly, Kiraz is NOT a centre. H
It's probably Xerri and Tracey or Taffe in centres for me with JAC and Kiraz or Wilson on wings.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing about Xerri is that he has everything to prove, dedication beats motivation and I feel that he is extremely dedicated and grateful for this opportunity the dogs has given him. Wish him all the success.
Well the dedication isn't a new thing for him either. He decided two years ago to get himself ready. And I love that it wasn't a case of us having to just throw our offer on a pile. Him telling his manager that he wants to be a Bulldog before hearing other offers is a cherry on top of signing a potential rep player (assuming his best is ahead of him).

I just don't see how a guy who hasn't played in 4 years will be better than someone who's been a stand out for us in the past 2 years by round one.

I don't believe two pre-season games will get you match fit and up to the speed of the NRL. Surely it can't be that easy.
It generally takes the bulk of the NRL a few weeks at least to be match fit. He might not have played for a few years. But he was driven as a youngster. He's among the youngest players in years to establish himself in the NRL. And spending two years getting back to professional levels of fitness with only him cracking the whip is a huge sign of his work ethic. If he's being honest about the circumstances of him using drugs, it was to speed up recovery from surgery. Plenty doubt that, but he'd have been getting drug tested for a long while prior to getting caught. So I choose to hope his redemption story begins in round 1.

He played on the wing to start the season for the first 6-7 games before getting hurt. He carved them up and actually lead the DallyM’s

He played a few games later in the year at centre and was ordinary. Nothing showed me Kiraz should be our centre.
I'm hoping our centres wind up being Xerri and Crichton. JAC and Kiraz on the wings. There's a big battle for the 1 jersey. But I even rate a lot of our depth. But last year I think Kiraz played a lot of the season injured. Both him and King should have sat out a large chunk of the season. If not for the huge injury toll, I think a lot of players were sent out with niggling injuries. But those two in particular appeared to try, but were both down on form. So I'm assuming that the bulk of games at centre that Kiraz played were with injury hampering him. He was still no dud. But not close to the beast he was while at the top of the dally M's for the first handful of games. So I don't think we've seen his ceiling at centre yet.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've got no idea what to expect from this guy, he seems to be ticking all the right boxes but I can't think of anyone else who's been out of the game for four years and made a successful comeback to FG.

I imagine he'd be super fit but talk of trying to make the round 1 team after having not played a single game in four years is a bit ambitious.

No way he pushes out Kiraz and Crtta in the centres.

I do want to see him do well though but it might take a full year.
I think Kiraz plays wing.
we need his tackle 1’s and 2’s coming out of our end.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imagine Xerri came back looking like Val Te Whare.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon he'll be rusty and won't handle the contact for 3 or 5 games, but I fully expect him to go great afterwards. If he can handle the contact, he should be fine. He mentioned he had issues with Latrell last time.... mate in the guts straight hit, you'll be right. Slammmaa

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He’s just upset about xerri as he replaced his one love. Averagefellow

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straight from the horse’s mouth, Kiraz prefers centre. Said it on the Let’s Trot podcast. As if we don’t have enough centres… Kiraz, Xerri, Critta, Tracey, Perham, Samrani, plus Skelton and Burton in a pinch. Funny that Tracey is actually listed as halfback on bulldogs.com.au but we all know that means stuff all.

As for Wingers, we are less equipped with JAC, Wilson, Kiraz, Skelton and possibly Tracey. Kiraz did also say he’s happy to play wing (obviously) if that’s what the team needs. As for his injury he said it’s just a minor quad strain, but they’re treating his back. Hamstring connects to lower back so I guess that’s the area of concern. He says he’s hoping to be back for trial no.2.