Four NRL coaches who should be sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By Mark St JohnSeptember 8, 2016
FacebookTwitterGoogleEmail
WITH the regular season done and dusted we look at the coaches most under pressure to keep their jobs and their potential replacements.

Andrew McFadden (Warriors)

In a results-driven industry the former Raiders halfback just hasn’t stood up as a coach of the league’s most enigmatic team.

In three seasons, McFadden has won only 28 out 62 games for a win percentage of 45, with no finals appearances.

The Warriors have been unlucky with injuries but successive late season collapses have surely sealed McFadden’s fate and and it is only a matter of time before he is shown the door this off season.

Replacement: Stephen Kearney
The current Kiwi international coach may be just the right man to get the best out of the Polynesian players at the Warriors as he has at Test level.

Kearney’s last NRL job at the Eels was a failure in terms of results but he learned the hard way what it takes to coach at this level.

If he can instill the physicality, commitment in defence and willingness to play for each other that he has in the New Zealand team, the Warriors will reap the benefits and allow their attacking stars to shine.

Paul McGregor (Dragons)

McGregor NRLP

One of the Dragons favourite sons is on thin ice at the club with only 28 wins in 59 starts over three seasons with only one finals appearance.

While defence has been a real problem for the Dragons this season, it is in attack where McGregor has failed to ignite his charges throughout his tenure as head coach.

The Dragons require an attacking overhaul to properly utilise their highest paid players and it appears McGregor is just not the man for the job.

Possible Replacement: Garth Brennan/Ivan Cleary
If the Dragons opt to sack Paul McGreggor they will have to pay him out and may not have the funds to attract a high profile coach.

Garth Brennan would be a steal from a financial position and his results in the lower grades at the Panthers speak for themselves.

Ivan Cleary would be another person of interest for the Dragons but given his standing in the game he may be a bit out of their price range. But if a challenge at a big club is what he is after – then the Red V is the job for him.

Des Hasler (Bulldogs)

Des HAsler :Digital Image Grant Trouville [emoji767] NRLphotos : NRL Rugby League - Round 21 - Roosters v Bulldogs at Allianz Stadium SFS 31st of July 2015.

The Dogs are in the worst form of Hasler’s five-year tenure at the club and look completely lost for ideas in attack heading into the finals.

They have the weakest six, seven and nine combination in the top eight and it was Hasler who hand picked Josh Reynolds, Moses Mbye and Michael Lichaa to take this team into the future.

The mentor’s forward dominated approach has hamstrung the Dogs attacking structure and tough just ain’t enough anymore at Belmore if they are serious about winning their first premiership since 2004.

Replacement: Ivan Cleary
The former Warriors and Panthers mentor is too good a coach to be cooling his heels on the sidelines and would be an excellent fit for the Dogs.

Cleary had the attacking nous to take the Warriors to a grand final in 2011 and turned the Panthers from a basket case back into a respected NRL roster.

Cleary’s ability to usher in a number of talented youngsters at Penrith would also come in handy with the Bulldogs junior base and bringing in the next wave of stars.

Nathan Brown (Knights)
Given the limitations of his playing list it could be considered harsh to put Nathan Brown in this category but coaches have been fired for better records than one win and a draw from 26 rounds.

Brown’s team were lacking in attacking class and some big boppers in defence but half a coach’s job is attracting talent and Brown had more player losses than signings this season.

While he probably deserves more time, if he doesn’t attract some big name signings and continues his losing streak into next season it won’t be long before the knives are out.

Replacement: John Cartwright
If Brown gets the sack the Knights need a hardened professional with experience building a club up from nothing.

Cartwright is an old school coach who could whip the Knights into shape defensively and certainly get the best out of young and inexperienced roster.

Source:

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/coach...34291099945464&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

coreyhart

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree that Hasler needs to go but I'd like 3 ex-Bulldogs appointed - Jimmy Dymock as head coach with Dean Pay and Brett Kimmorley as assistants. Raelene you can bugger off too.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want Cleary to be coach. I like Dymock but he has been involved with this lot and I dont want any of this current group to stay on, Id rather a complete fresh start. Apparently he is the attack coach, yes under instruction, but he must have some say, so its a big no to Dymock for me. And if he doesnt have a say he is basically doing what people accuse Hasler of doing, and thats collecting a pay cheque.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mark St John take a bow (thunderous clapping) Ivan Cleary is clearly the man able to give the Bulldogs back their bite!!! Anyone else ???? And the cancer lives on!!!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree 100% with the article. Also agree with Ivan Cleary coming in.

As much as I like Dymock I don't think he is good enough to make up a powerhouse again and I don't want to go through another 3-4 years of mediocre results. Sure we won a few games at the back end of a season where he had nothing to lose, plenty of other coaches have done that and turned out to be duds when they were given full time gigs.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a fall from grace, Des Hasler hailed as a Master coach by the media, a modern day rugby league maestro..............now a bottom feeder.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I can't think of anyone better than Ivan to replace Des

Please club
Make this happen and restore some faith back into the fans hearts

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys were not gonna get Ivan. The netball ceo loves him. And isn't Hasler signed until 2019?

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring over Ivan Cleary ASAP.

Bring in his son on 200k a season on the books.

Give Ivan 1.6m a season, and 800k out of that goes to his son

Do we have creative fucken accountants at our club?????????

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring over Ivan Cleary ASAP.

Bring in his son on 200k a season on the books.

Give Ivan 1.6m a season, and 800k out of that goes to his son

Do we have creative fucken accountants at our club?????????
You would make a terrific CEO

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Wow, even the media is starting to lose the blinkers for Des!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If we sign Cleary, then we will also sign his son Nathan. There is NO WAY Ivan will coach against his son.

Move Mbye to hooker with Lichaa on the bench or something.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we sign Cleary, then we will also sign his son Nathan. There is NO WAY Ivan will coach against his son.

Raebro, make this happen! Otherwise f@$& OFF! AY...

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
oh iw ish i wish

i cant even tyoe poperly after reading this article.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I dunno, I wouldn't be a fan of someone coaching their own son at this level. What if a hard decision has to be made? Its a lose lose situation. Either there will be allegations of nepotism, or in the opposite the coach is being too hard on the player because he is his son.

I know we can look back to the days of the boss hiring his various sons in law as coaches, but in this professional era, I'm not so sure.

Reactions: DT
Status
Not open for further replies.