Fortune favours the cheats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So punish the players for poor administration, put them "up for offer" and the weaker clubs get the first pick? Sounds ridiculous and also smells a bit like a draft, which worked really well in the past from memory...

I admire you for looking for a solution, but this sounds a lot like emotion talking and very little like a sound business decision.
I disagree, I think MRI is on the money. Parra acquired their "champion" playing roster illegally and as such they shouldn't be allowed to retain it.

They have signed 3 major player in the off season knowing fully that they are over the cap, that is the definition of fraud..

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I am furious that Parra can still make the finals. Greenturd crapping on about how it's ok because they lost their points whilst cheating.

Doesn't matter that we lost to them twice in that time. Such a load of crap.

Who cares if their fans are sad all year? Melbs fans were sad, we were sad. I hate this soft as shit CEO.
Yep exactly, they could for example finish a tie 8th with someone else on 28 points and make the finals on the back of an illegally gained For and Against obtained while over the cap. It's a joke.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the teams finishing in 9th or joint 8th and missing out on F&A have a case to argue here.

Not sure if fortune has favoured Parramatta much - they haven't made the finals in about 8 years.
But since then added Jennings, Foran, and Scott... all whilst being over the cap.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They will just retire Watmough and keep their illegally formed team.
If they payout Watmoughs contract it still counts against the cap. They have to convince him to walk away with nothing. I know he is not the smartest cookie but is he that stupid to give up all those $$$?

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they payout Watmoughs contract it still counts against the cap. They have to convince him to walk away with nothing. I know he is not the smartest cookie but is he that stupid to give up all those $$$?
If they fudge the doctors report to say that he can't play anymore then they will pay him out for retirement, that doesn't count under the cap..

It's all horse shit tbh

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I disagree, I think MRI is on the money. Parra acquired their "champion" playing roster illegally and as such they shouldn't be allowed to retain it.

They have signed 3 major player in the off season knowing fully that they are over the cap, that is the definition of fraud..
So, let's say you signed with Parramatta in 2015 for three years and you had no idea of the shenanigans going on, you moved your family to the area etc. and got them settled and then the club got caught cheating the cap, you then get put up for "auction" and The Warriors are the highest bidder, so you HAVE to go there, move your family etc. and that decision is out of your hands? That's rubbish.

At the end of the day, players are employees and I don't know of any workplace where that is acceptable/legal unless part of your employee contract, which this obviously isn't.

You're punishing the player still and not the club, that is my point. The players are pawns and get caught up in this stuff and it tarnishes them and their image because of mismanagement by high ranking club officials.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
So, let's say you signed with Parramatta in 2015 for three years and you had no idea of the shenanigans going on, you moved your family to the area etc. and got them settled and then the club got caught cheating the cap, you then get put up for "auction" and The Warriors are the highest bidder, so you HAVE to go there, move your family etc. and that decision is out of your hands? That's rubbish.

At the end of the day, players are employees and I don't know of any workplace where that is acceptable/legal unless part of your employee contract, which this obviously isn't.

You're punishing the player still and not the club, that is my point. The players are pawns and get caught up in this stuff and it tarnishes them and their image because of mismanagement by high ranking club officials.
The players can suck a big one. It's not a realistic life. Their poor families. The chicks never work they just pump out babies and live it up.

Soz females on this forum but these girls are loving the fuck out of it. Smacking out kids with their man on the coin.. That's the dream isn't it girls?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Players aren't innocent as you make them out to be. If someone is giving you cash, wouldn't you ask wtf is that?

I don't buy into this "players are innocent" bullshit.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Players aren't innocent as you make them out to be. If someone is giving you cash, wouldn't you ask wtf is that?

I don't buy into this "players are innocent" bullshit.
How do you know the players are getting cash? I ask this as I'm genuinely curious.

Let's face it, these are not the smartest guys in the world, that's why player managers are employed to look after contracts.

Are the players compliant to wrongdoings? I don't know, maybe/maybe not. My stab is at the hierarchy and of greedy businessman who think they're bigger/smarter then the NRL.

Malla

Reaction score
How do you know the players are getting cash? I ask this as I'm genuinely curious.

Let's face it, these are not the smartest guys in the world, that's why player managers are employed to look after contracts.

Are the players compliant to wrongdoings? I don't know, maybe/maybe not. My stab is at the hierarchy and of greedy businessman who think they're bigger/smarter then the NRL.
I somewhat agree. I think the onus should be put on the player managers as they would be fully aware of the wrongdoings with the cash payments for example.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

How else are you going to receive an illegal payment? How else are you not going to leave a paper trail?

Well sometimes it's not cash, sometimes it's boats or new Ford's in your driveway.

PS most are smarter than the NRL. All the teams that have been busted has been by a whistle blower, not the NRL.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think players are as innocent as you think.

Now Parra was warned for the last 2 years by the NRL to manage their cap, yet they went in the Off Season while fully knowing that they are over the cap and signed 1 superstar and 2 stars that turned their whole team and culture around.

Other teams were taken out of contest because what was offered by Parra to these players.. New Castle couldn't compete with the Scott offer and we were blown out of the water with Foran... That's not a level playing field.

Clubs are measured by success. There is a reason why Parra ca not get TP deals, because their field success is shithouse. If parra win the the comp with their roster that they acquired illegally this year , they will have sponsors waiting in line.. cheats or no cheats.

What they did is nothing short of fraud, and they haven't even been punished for it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I somewhat agree. I think the onus should be put on the player managers as they would be fully aware of the wrongdoings with the cash payments for example.
If Parra has gone over by, say $500K in a season - that only averages out to $20K per player. That alone may not be enough for them to suspect the bigger picture... but, aren't the contracts lodged with the NRL? And if so, their final "pay" (wherever it comes from) would add up to a different figure?? My last sentence to me puts the onus back on the players a bit.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Furthermore, the NRL told Parra that their players are not allowed to take paycuts to stay together.... what is that telling you? It simply says that everybody know that this team was put together illegally and as such it should be dismantle.

Malla

Reaction score
If Parra has gone over by, say $500K in a season - that only averages out to $20K per player. That alone may not be enough for them to suspect the bigger picture... but, aren't the contracts lodged with the NRL? And if so, their final "pay" (wherever it comes from) would add up to a different figure?? My last sentence to me puts the onus back on the players a bit.
I agree with that too, 100%. The players should suspect it, but then if their managers and the club is giving it to them - why would they decline? We have seen many times through the years that players are not subject to penalty in salary cap scandals. Not even player managers, in fact.

Malla

Reaction score
Furthermore, the NRL told Parra that their players are not allowed to take paycuts to stay together.... what is that telling you? It simply says that everybody know that this team was put together illegally and as such it should be dismantle.
You would have to think so. I thought 1000% this team is above the cap when they signed Jennings late in the year.

Then it made sense why they were fast tracking the retirement of Watmough.

Man... they got off so lightly.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would have to think so. I thought 1000% this team is above the cap when they signed Jennings late in the year.

Then it made sense why they were fast tracking the retirement of Watmough.

Man... they got off so lightly.
Absolutely! If something Greenturd just drew a line in the sand and proved that the NRL management are spineless twats.

Malla

Reaction score
Absolutely! If something Greenturd just drew a line in the sand and proved that the NRL management are spineless twats.
Agreed. Clear to see that he is a fence sitter.

As time passes more info will come out and people will realise how softly Parra got off. Especially if they some how make the finals (Which won't happen).

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Parra won't make the semis even if they release watmough they need to offload a player ,
Watmough has already been payed 1/2 his money (400k) and he gets 750k what they owe watmough is actually 250k.
So they are still 320k over the cap and they have to get rid of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.