1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

News Former NRL star Brett Dallas has been threatened with jail time for stealing

Discussion in 'Rugby League General' started by jof, Jan 25, 2020.

1. jof

jof Kennel Regular

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...il-faces-10th-stealing-offence-12-months.html

The sad demise of an NRL legend: Footy star who once had a million-dollar contract and played for Australia is now on Centrelink and facing time behind bars over his 10th stealing offence in 12 months
    • Former NRL star Brett Dallas has been threatened with jail time for stealing
    • The 45-year-old appeared in court for his 10th offence in less than one year
    • Magistrate adjourned the case so Dallas would book counselling appointment

An NRL star who was once on a seven-figure salary has been threatened with jail time over a string of petty thefts.

Brett Dallas, 45, appeared in Queensland's Mackay Magistrates Court for his 10th stealing offence in less than one year.

The fallen star - who was known for his speed while playing as a winger for the Canterbury Bulldogs and North Sydney Bears in the 1990s before moving to the UK to continue playing - had a million-dollar contract at the peak of his career.

Dallas has pleaded guilty to three charges which included the theft of a $690 coffee table from a furniture franchise in November last year, Daily Mercury reported.

Brett Dallas (pictured in 2004), 45, appeared in Queensland's Mackay Magistrates Court for his 10th stealing offence in less than one year

The court heard Dallas told police he took the table for money.

Magistrate Damien Dwyer warned the 45-year-old former star 'enough is enough' and something needed to change.

'The last thing this community or anybody wants is for you to go to prison,' Magistrate Dwyer said.

Legal Aid Queensland solicitor Rosie Varley proposed community service or probation but the magistrate said he was considering jail time.

'Unless you can show me that the community is safe. This is your 10th [stealing offence] in less than 12 months,' Magistrate Dwyer said.

Ms Varley told the court the former NRL star was a single father-of-three, who had no contact with his eldest children but some with his youngest, a nine-month-old.

Dallas has been receiving Centerlink's disability pension for the last 12 months, she said.

Dallas, who is not yet undertaking counselling, told the court he would be willing to seek the service.

[​IMG]
    The fallen star - who was known for his speed while playing for the Canterbury Bulldogs and North Sydney Bears in the NRL - had a million-dollar contract at the peak of his career. Dallas is pictured during a QLD Maroons training session in 1995

Magistrate Dwyer decided to adjourn the case so Dallas would book an appointment with Lives Lived Well.

'I want you to be clear that whether or not I impose a prison sentence … if you co-operate with Lives Lived Well and go through their counselling service, well there's every reason that I won't go ahead with that,' he said.

The case will return to court on January 29 for mention.

Dallas shot to stardom at 18 when he became Queenland's youngest State of Origin player after breaking into the Canterbury Bulldogs team.

He moved to the North Sydney Bears and spent the latter half of his club career with English club Wigan.

He had represented Australia in the World Cup in 1995.

Dallas has pleaded guilty to three charges which included the theft of a $690 coffee table from a furniture franchise in November last year. Pictured: Dallas celebrates his second try during the Powergen Challenge Cup Semi Final match between Wigan Warriors and Warrington Wolves at the Halton Stadium on April 18, 2004

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. btrainben

btrainben Kennel Immortal

Ice is a hell of a drug..

It is concerning to see so many ex footballers have issues with or dealing serious drugs though..

And to think when i was a kid i was so excited when i got Brett Dallas' signature when we were at a Chinese Restaurant in Revesby... I was lucky he didn't steal the pen and paper!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. berries1935

berries1935 Kennel Regular

Sad to see, he needs a lot of help and probably jail wouldn’t be a bad place for while

4. hayes

hayes Kennel Enthusiast

How is not locked his tenth charge in 12 months.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dawain87

Dawain87 Kennel Regular

poor bloke

6. doggieaaron

doggieaaron Super Moderator Staff Member

Cant see him not stealing again tbh hes in a very dark hole atm sadly

7. Sancho2020

Sancho2020 Kennel Immortal Gilded

I remember going through his social media accounts the last time this was brought up, blokes absolutely fried.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Kennel Immortal Gilded x2 Gilded Premium Member

One of many examples of why it's sad that people glorify drugs... might start with pills/gas/coke on weekends but in many cases, this is how it ends up.. Here's hoping that by some rare chance that he can turn it around

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sancho2020

Sancho2020 Kennel Immortal Gilded

It's not the drugs fault, it's the people using the drugs.

10. Howard Moon

clever guy

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. silva

silva Utility

Dogs should get brett a job as social media manager

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Howard Moon

:tearsofjoy: dead

• Like Like x 1
  13. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Kennel Immortal Gilded

He must be the world's worst thief.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. SPEARTAKVIDREFS

SPEARTAKVIDREFS Kennel Regular

If he wants sobriety, find a group of recovered addicts. Councillors wont help unless they're recovered addicts themselves.
    If he doesn't want sobriety, well his life is only going to get a lot worse.

15. Bob dog

Bob dog Hectik defence Premium Member

Wow stealing, thats dodgy, must be messed, was a popular acquisition to Belmore in his day.

16. sgodllubsti

sgodllubsti Kennel Addict

sad demise of another nrl star, many cannot handle life after football and get themselves into all sorts of trouble

17. Moedogg

Moedogg Kennel Immortal

I think the judge is a bit lenient on him, if he wasn't a public figure he probably would've already been in jail by now...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Natboy II

Natboy II Kennel Enthusiast

It’s very sad. I’ve known Brett since he came to Sydney and lived with the Andersons. He did electrical work at a few of my places a few years back and did a great job.
    I hate drugs and what they do to the people not strong enough to avoid them. Lots of people have tried to reach out to him but we can’t help him. He’s a lost cause unless he can change himself. I wish him all the best

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Howard Moon

problem is that meth is so expensive that the users have to take constant risks to get their fix.. like the guy was probably stealing shit just about every day of the week

20. Blueandwhiteblood1968

Blueandwhiteblood1968 Kennel Enthusiast

He was caught trying to steal a coffee table, I think walking out of a shop with that under your arm your gonna get busted, I would have loved to hear his reason for stealing a coffee table 'im having a cappuccino out the front and had nowhere to sit the cup'

• Funny Funny x 3