Former Bulldog, Tiger to be left searching for new club

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably because you, I and the rest on here never played first grade for the club.

BIG difference and that’s why.
Not every player makes a good coach, can have a role in the club or is actually capable of doing anything useful in a club.

You obviously like the bloke but look at him objectively, other than passion what does he bring to the club. He’s no Maloney, Cronk or DCE to be playing in his 30’s and had very little skills at his prime.

Where would you intend to use him? As a player would you prefer to see someone like Reynolds signed at the expense of a youngster like Rajab. Would you like him trying to Impart his skills on Burton as a halves coach.

Leave the past in the past, we need to become a professional club of the future not a retirement home.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So what, you get ~50 years in your job, they might get 10 if they are lucky of which the first 1/4 will be on peanuts.

Always a Bulldog
Sure, they get 10 years with big money, but a smart footballer then has a career to move onto, they don't retire from working altogether, they are footballers, not invalids.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So what, you get ~50 years in your job, they might get 10 if they are lucky of which the first 1/4 will be on peanuts.

Always a Bulldog
Most people are on "peanuts" in their first jobs, and i doubt many at 20 years old will earn as much as a minimum NRL contract. And many NRL players have more opportunities post football career that the rest of us have should we ever lose our own jobs. if you get the end of a 10 year NRL career and you haven't set yourself up or the next phase, you're doing it wrong.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most people are on "peanuts" in their first jobs, and i doubt many at 20 years old will earn as much as a minimum NRL contract. And many NRL players have more opportunities post football career that the rest of us have should we ever lose our own jobs. if you get the end of a 10 year NRL career and you haven't set yourself up or the next phase, you're doing it wrong.
About 10 years ago someone I knew was friends with a prominent footballer. He was in the media for all the wrong reasons. But his accountant had guided him into investments and numerous home purchases. He was basically set up for life. I know not every footballer makes that type of money but I think most of us would love to be in a position of owing a few properties in our late 20’s.

I think a big chunk of players have the opportunity to be in a decent financial position by the time they retire.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

" Player X – sign on fee $1,000 Average round amount for 22 rounds is $ 45.50/ round."

Last time I checked the Sydney Shield Salary Cap was $50k, Ron Massey Cup $150k, Jersey Flegg $250k, NSW Cup $500k and that is the Cap for all registered players. The dole is $17k, the minimum wage is $42k, so yes, until they get into a team's Top 30 they get paid peanuts.

Always a Bulldog

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former Bulldog, Tiger to be left searching for new club - NRL News - Zero Tackle

Should we offer him a one year stint at least?

33 now but his heart seemed to be always with the 'Dogs. 250K, 300 tops.

Morris brothers were still going strong at 35.
Hmm goes to tigers spends most of his time injured or in reggies
Goes to ESL has some good games has alot of injured games

Bring him back but not on the field that for sure

Juniour programmes somewhere sure
Community projects sure.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To play what in position? He is a running 5/8....last time I checked we already have one of those. We need an organising HB
Love Reynolds passion but he is waaaaaaaaaaaaay past it
Could wecturn him into a lock? Lewis style[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reynolds played the game with everything he had. He never stopped competing. What he brought to the Dogs was a lot of heart and effort. He was also the type of player that improved team morale by just being there (like Fox). He wasn't the most talented half, though. I always felt he'd struggle in a team that wasn't already fairly dominant, like we were in 2012-2015. If he can't make it in ESL, we definitely don't need him in a side that's only just starting to find their feet.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not every player makes a good coach, can have a role in the club or is actually capable of doing anything useful in a club.

You obviously like the bloke but look at him objectively, other than passion what does he bring to the club. He’s no Maloney, Cronk or DCE to be playing in his 30’s and had very little skills at his prime.

Where would you intend to use him? As a player would you prefer to see someone like Reynolds signed at the expense of a youngster like Rajab. Would you like him trying to Impart his skills on Burton as a halves coach.

Leave the past in the past, we need to become a professional club of the future not a retirement home.
Where did I say I like the bloke?

I put this up as it was reported yesterday and seeing he has played for us from juniors right through to first grade before he departed the 'Dogs due to salary cap restraints. He didn't do a Solomon or SBW he was forced out of the club, he never wanted to leave and that showed after he went to the Tigers.

I only asked the question as to whether we should offer him a one year contract, that seems like a resounding NO from most and I'm OK with that but provided he was OK to play and willing to finish his career at a club he spent so long at, I feel the club could do a lot worse.

He may very well be past it and have to many injuries to continue his career. Hell people were saying the same thing about Benji here, what did he do for our club?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
It’s hard to take a step down from flopagun but even he would be now days.

Some moves like letting Ennis, finucane, taupau even lane go where terrible.

Though Reynolds, mbye, Harper where spot on.

Even jammer at the time and what he went onto provide the dragons (on the field only)

Only other wrong 1 fresh in my head was keeping Eastwood way past his prime.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'd wreck a hamstring bringing drinks out.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did I say I like the bloke?

I put this up as it was reported yesterday and seeing he has played for us from juniors right through to first grade before he departed the 'Dogs due to salary cap restraints. He didn't do a Solomon or SBW he was forced out of the club, he never wanted to leave and that showed after he went to the Tigers.

I only asked the question as to whether we should offer him a one year contract, that seems like a resounding NO from most and I'm OK with that but provided he was OK to play and willing to finish his career at a club he spent so long at, I feel the club could do a lot worse.

He may very well be past it and have to many injuries to continue his career. Hell people were saying the same thing about Benji here, what did he do for our club?
He wasnt forced out he went for more cash