News Foran ready to live up to price tag

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran ready to live up to price tag

Tue 21 May 2019, 06:01 PM
There was no player more relieved to get through another game than luckless Canterbury leader Kieran Foran with the pivot hopeful his darkest injury days are now behind him following a man-of-the-match performance against the Titans.

Having arrived at Belmore dubbed a million-dollar star signing under former coach Des Hasler, Bulldogs fans are beginning to see glimpses of the class Foran was originally brought to the club for in 2018.

You could forgive the 28-year-old if he was prepared to pull the pin after a syndesmosis injury in round three was originally expected to keep him out for three months.

The former Kiwi international defied the odds to return within six weeks and get his injury-plagued body back on track.

"There's nothing worse than being on the sidelines injured and not being out there able to put in with the lads," Foran said.

"It's been a tough couple of years, no doubt, both physically and mentally. My focus at the moment is trying to string performances together like that on a consistent basis for this side. That's what I want to do.

"Hopefully I can continue to do that. There's no doubt I just want to do my job for the team and whatever that is I want to make sure I'm getting it done every week.

Montoya picks it up at pace
Montoya picks it up at pace

"For me, it's really important I can play week-in week-out and string some really strong performances together... I want to do that for the club. That's what I'm focusing on.

"It's baby steps, the focus for us at the moment is getting back-to-back wins for the first time, but I'm trying to do my role in the side, and if I can do that on a consistent basis I'll be happy."

Foran remains open to an international recall with the Kiwis but was not necessarily eyeing off the Oceania Cup Test match against Mate Ma'a Tonga on June 22 as a game to stake his claims.

The Auckland-born product last represented New Zealand in the 2017 Anzac Test.

"I'm still [hopeful]. I definitely haven't ruled myself out of that," Foran said.

"It's been a couple of years since I last wore the [Kiwis] jersey because of the injuries. And form wise I haven't been playing anywhere near good enough.

"But it's something I always strive to play in. I love nothing more than representing NZ and it's something I'm passionate about. If I'm playing well enough and my form warrants it, I'm always open to it."

The Bulldogs trained at the NSW Centre of Excellence at Sydney Olympic Park on Tuesday in a change-up to previous preparation ahead of their clash against the Storm at Belmore Sports Ground on Sunday.

The side will return to their spiritual home for training later in the week.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Can't fault anyone wanting to play for their Country. Can't help but thinking that he owes everyone every chance to stay uninjured and avoid extra games right now. I would be fukin filthy if he continued to play and improve only to cop an injury from an outside match.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't fault anyone wanting to play for their Country. Can't help but thinking that he owes everyone every chance to stay uninjured and avoid extra games right now. I would be fukin filthy if he continued to play and improve only to cop an injury from an outside match.
I would be filthy too but look on the bright side if he is selected it would mean he made it through the season without any major injuries!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I would be filthy too but look on the bright side if he is selected it would mean he made it through the season without any major injuries!
Wasn't the game mentioned June 22?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's doing way better than Cleary and Taylor. 2 wins including Motm from the 5 games he has played this year.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's doing way better than Cleary and Taylor. 2 wins including Motm from the 5 games he has played this year.
Yep and he really seems to love playing for the club i also feel he loves guiding our young crew around he is a leader he should be our C

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love it, being a kiwi myself I would love to see him back in our jumper, representing us, however I also think we need him at the doggs more, And don’t want him to get an injury.. so I’m a little torn lol..!!

Anyway, what ever happens it’s a win win for myself, and if he does get the call good luck, if not go hard Fozzy and just play your best footy for us :grinning:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Uh oh... The last time they wrote these articles he got injured against the Tigers in a man of the match display. Hopefully the hyping curse avoids him this time because he deserves some luck on the injury front and he's been a completely different player this year.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
If we can keep Foran fit, hes worth every cent I feel.

The difference between Foran and alot of players is he has excellent vision and see's things other players cant. Whether that is seeing the dark soul of mankind (why he got bad depression before) or cutting out four men to put Okenbur into the corner, he has that vision and thats what sets him apart and why that with him, we can spark an attack close to the line at a moments notice and score points at a rapid pace. His last two games he has set up everything. Nasheed.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t want him playing for the Kiwis

Last thing we need is 17 horses running at him for 80 minutes

Injury would be likely

Hopefully Kiwis pick Kodi and I don’t know Benji maybe

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

The difference between Foran and alot of players is he has excellent vision and see's things other players cant. Whether that is seeing the dark soul of mankind (why he got bad depression before) or cutting out four men to put Okenbur into the corner, he has that vision and thats what sets him apart and why that with him, we can spark an attack close to the line at a moments notice and score points at a rapid pace. His last two games he has set up everything. Nasheed.
Nasheed !!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t want him playing for the Kiwis

Last thing we need is 17 horses running at him for 80 minutes

Injury would be likely

Hopefully Kiwis pick Kodi and I don’t know Benji maybe
Tend to agree with ya, from one kiwi to another .. Kodi will be a good choice. Be good to see benji back in there one last time as well.

A

Alexander the Great

Nasheed here,

You opened up with Nasheed and finished off with Nasheed. We got it the first time.
Good points made.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just got a tattoo of the word ‘nasheed’ on my arm just so I don’t forget it