News Foran looks to repay NRL debt to Bulldogs

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kieran Foran has revealed that a desire to repay Canterbury for his horror injury run drove his latest comeback from a shoulder reconstruction.

Foran will make a timely return for the winless Bulldogs when they face fellow battlers St George Illawarra in Monday's annual Queen's Birthday NRL clash.

It will be Foran's first match since dislocating his shoulder just minutes into his return to the international arena with New Zealand last year.

The injury came after a syndesmosis problem ruled him out of half his 2019 campaign, which followed a season decimated by a toe issue.

The Dragons match marks the 200th game of Foran's career.

"I've been through a few difficult periods in my career and each and every time I've built more and more resilience through those periods," Foran said on Thursday.

"With this latest one, it was about wanting to get back and give back to the Dogs.

"I feel really bad that I've had this horrible injury run over the last few years. It's something that's weighed heavily on mind, (but) it's been out of my control."

Should Foran go close to re-capturing his best form, it could change the trajectory of not only his career, but the entire club.

The Bulldogs' winless start to the year has placed immense pressure on coach Dean Pay, who, like Foran, is off-contract at the end of the year.

But both could be rewarded with new deals should the club rise up the ladder.

Foran said the onus is on the players to turn around their form and remove speculation on the future of their head coach.

"Coaches can only do so much. They give you the game plan. They improve your game as individuals and as a side," Foran said.

"At the end of the day, it's up to the players to turn up and perform at a high level and execute. That's not Dean's responsibility. He does all his work mid-week.

"The responsibility falls on our shoulders to make sure we're up for it on the day and there should be no excuses for that."

Foran admitted being concerned about his long-term future when the coronavirus shutdown sparked fears the game wouldn't be back on until 2021.

Now, with a fresh haircut and trimmed-down beard, he has a chance to put his wretched run behind him and earn a new deal.

"When I did my shoulder, with how bad it was, I was banking on only coming back for the last 5-10 rounds," Foran said.

"That was a bit of a scary thought when you consider the fact that I'm in the last year of my contract.

"But with the way it's worked out, it gives me plenty of time to play footy and hopefully find some form, and be out there each and every week with the guys."

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn. From the title I thought the article would say, "Kieran Foran will pay the Bulldogs X amount of dollars for all the games he missed"

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Headline made me think this was a re-signing story

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran wants to repay Bulldogs by retiring that would be great!!!

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
only way he could repay us is to take us to the big dance and win it lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yawn. They publish the exact same article three times a season. Foran deserves some luck though..

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully repayment is staying fit the rest of the year and signing a deal for around $400k and playing every game next year

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now, with a fresh haircut and trimmed-down beard, he has a chance to put his wretched run behind him and earn a new deal.
So now he's lost the man bun and the wolverine beard he's got his healing powers back and is suddenly going to stay injury free and waltz into a new deal538121-97772fd6137a367f89623dd987533338.jpg

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yawn. They publish the exact same article three times a season. Foran deserves some luck though..
The format generally is the same:

Week 1 - Foran wants to repay the Bulldogs/Foran the fittest he's ever been

Week 2 - Foran to miss the remainder of the season

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The format generally is the same:

Week 1 - Foran wants to repay the Bulldogs/Foran the fittest he's ever been

Week 2 - Foran to miss the remainder of the season
Sometimes he likes mixing it up with two medium term injuries with a couple of games in between instead of the one long term injury.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the bulldogs resign foran for next year i will not be renewing my membership

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To his credit and injuries aside, I admire the blokes passion. One can only imagine how hard it is to deal with all that he has gone through wether it's injuries, relationships, kids, mental health etc. Bad investment yes. A horrible footballer no. I honestly wish him all the best.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The number one problem with Foran is the amount he is being paid and that's over after this year.

If they do re-sign him it will be for a significantly lower amount so its not the end of the world if they do get a deal done.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it Groundhog Day? I swear I've heard this all before...again and again.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Has anyone checked the date of this article, I'm sure this was written last year?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we don't go sign an experienced half (e.g. Keary) on contract I hope we re-sign him on a small contract, ~400k. The halves we currently have when Foran isn't playing aren't good enough for 2021.

A

Alexander the Great

Good Luck Foz. I hope he goes good this weekend.

We the amount of bad luck he has had i hope the can turn it around for himself.