News Foran. Canterbury bulldogs withdraw offer.

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Club needs to look at it like this;

Foran @ 1.2m gives you a Brandon Smith @ approx. 800k a year with 400k left over.

Tolman would be on approx. 500k this year?

Holland and Montoya would be on approx 250k each?

Thats about 1.4m from players currently off contract.

Along with Brandon Smith and the approx 1.4m available you could nab Burton, Welch and Blake Green as a reliable one year stop-gap @ 7

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don’t resign Foran there is a real chance that our 1,6,7, and 9 would be worth 420k combined.
All the names being thrown around would be lucky to be on minimum wage at a smarter and more successful club.

1. Meaney min wage
6.Burton min wage
7.Wake/LewisAvo whoever else min wage quality (jury still out on Avo but a good system would at least make him prove his worth before throwing money at him, hence minimum wage)
9.Katoa/JMK possibly wouldn’t make any other 17 in the comp.

axeman23

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and say I'd be happy to have him @ $300k plus incentives for 3 years.

I like him, and I think he still one of our better players each time he takes the field.

I think he could offer a lot more under Barrett assuming Barret gets us going forward.

He's a too line half when he's not injured, and I think he'd be even better under a better coached team.

For me it's chump change for a good half.

Personally I'd just as soon move on from him completely, but could get behind that deal PENDING: "he plays X amount of games in year 1, year 2 is locked in; then again X amount of games in year 2, year 3 gets locked in." We've spent enough money on him watching from the sidelines already, why hamstring our cap when we finally have something to spend again?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do dogs fans want Luke Brooks?? Nearly all Tigers fans are screaming for him to fuck off.
Might as well line up for Ash Taylor and Corey Norman if we're taking scraps
Yes the same tigers fans,who couldn’t wait for Moses mbye and josh Reynolds to arrive.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cleary has improved out of sight this year,id be very confident tb could turn brooks into a gun

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
First I’ve heard of forans backended deal,our own ceo informed us at our last forum,that the club has no more salary cap issues,and our backended deasls will no longer be entertained,
Yes because this Foran deal was the catalyst for this comment!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Source ; https://www.nrl.com/operations/integrity/salary-cap/

"Other bonuses – Any other bonus contained in a player's contract will be calculated in the Salary Cap if the NRL Salary Cap Auditor expects him to achieve the bonus based on his prior year's performance."

The above is the problem with contracts containing "bonuses", for example playing X amount of games. Even the player doesn't end up being paid the Cap auditor will still include the bonus in our Cap. We have plenty of cash, it's Cap space that's the issue and contracting bonuses doesn't help with that.

I don't see anything wrong with including a clause regarding compulsory medical retirement in the case of any injury greater than say 25% of the season. That way we would not be exposed to having the full contract value in our cap if Foran is injured again. The NRL has set the precedent with
Inglis and SBurgess regarding medical retirement, but it is us after all which means we are subject to the NRL screwing us yet again.

Go Dogs

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleary has improved out of sign this year,id be very confident tb could turn brooks into a gun
With Foran, sign him again we have to plan for back up.
Sign Brook's and you have to plan for a defensive player to be along side him.

Straight away we are on the defensive and there is no positivity in that. Unlike Cleary he has size and can defend. We all know what he can do with attack. And he is a goal kicker.

You are comparing Apples with Oranges

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There may be an insurance complication signing Foran to a long deal

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Straight away we are in rhe defensive and there is no positivity in that. Unlike Cleary he has size and can defend. We all know what he can do with attack. And he is a goal kicker.

We got Lewis, all good! Plan sorted. :tonguewink:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There may be an insurance complication signing Foran to a long deal
Gallagers look after the NRL medical insurance for players and to the best of my knowledge its blanket coverage for 16 teams x 30 players. I haven't seen or heard of any individual players insurance.

Most players also have their own personal income protection insurance and their own medical benefits insurance.

Go Dogs

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I'd just as soon move on from him completely, but could get behind that deal PENDING: "he plays X amount of games in year 1, year 2 is locked in; then again X amount of games in year 2, year 3 gets locked in." We've spent enough money on him watching from the sidelines already, why hamstring our cap when we finally have something to spend again?
I'd offer him 2 with 3rd as an option.

Possibly go for straight up 3 if he rejects that aswell.

I still think he's got a lot in him.

But thats just me.

I'm sure it will all come down to Barrett's vision and he knows a heck of a lot more than me.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd offer him 2 with 3rd as an option.

Possibly go for straight up 3 if he rejects that aswell.

I still think he's got a lot in him.

But thats just me.

I'm sure it will all come down to Barrett's vision and he knows a heck of a lot more than me.
if we dont get a like for like replacement, in terms of talent , we are fucked next year. no way we do anything with lewis in the halves.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't want to make a new thread, so I'll just post here, Keary's extended with the Roosters until 2024.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Straight away we are on the defensive and there is no positivity in that. Unlike Cleary he has size and can defend. We all know what he can do with attack. And he is a goal kicker.

No im not champ cleary was average but has been a different player this year

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm done with the biscuit tbh, glad we pulled the offer and was surprised to read we offered so much.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as we can get someone to replace him I’m happy for him to go. $400k is probably what he’s worth if you average out the money he’s been collecting the last 3 years. Yes he probably is our best player when he’s on the field but unfortunately we just can’t afford to take gambles on him and sign him to a longer deal. Hoping he gets a deal elsewhere and wish him the best but I’ll be happy to use his $1 million elsewhere
We can add that $400k to whatever offer we table to entice a decent replacement. I agree, Foran is a great player, but we simply can't gamble three more years basing our spine around a guy who has such a history of injury problems.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this. One hand I think fuck off. But on the other we have no halves. Lol
Burton/Sailor/Jai Field just want a starting gig, I would point that 300K for 3 years in that direction