Focus towards 2024

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
that's the same thing said leading into each and every next season, not buying into it anymore.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gus has already said not to expect great results for another season or two. There is no gain without pain, and we are in the pain bit now.

I won't be expecting terrific performances in 2024, but will hope for a better year than 2023. If we finish two or three places higher than 2023, that is a start. An early season with no injuries might be all we need.

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Christ, I’m only just realising this now too

In July 2022 we extended him through til end of 2025!!!
That’s what happens when you put emotions (nice guy coming back from debilitating injury) before common sense

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wake me up when September (28) comes ……

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm sure Gus said in the presser yesterday he sees KO as a lock....

Critta
Burto
Sexy
Reed
KO

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're not going anywhere without at least 2 BIG new middles
Why?
Are you looking for these big middles to drastically improve our attack, our defence or both?

Let me tell you something....
We don't score enough points, and we concede too many. What are big middles going to to improve that?

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can't see Burton anywhere but at 6. Topine will not be playing lock. KO not ready to be 13 at NRL level. Not sold on Sexton.
Lock in Crighton, Kiraz, Addo Carr, Burton, TPJ, Preston, Kikau, Reed and King. It might be a long year unless one or two big middles are signed and the combination of Sexton and Burton doesn't give me much hope.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why?
Are you looking for these big middles to drastically improve our attack, our defence or both?

We don't score enough points, and we concede too many. What are big middles going to to improve that?
i Can answer for him simply .

attack
If middles are good , they provide yardage for one , they provide space for halves to get creative and also suck the defence towards the middle providing spaces on the edges

Defence
you need two big middles on the field at any one time so the opposition cannot see Reed on the field. What is not visible cannot be ran at … no running at Reed is at least 12 Points saved a game

Battybulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Why?

We don't score enough points because we're barely ever down the right end of the field. We let too many points in because, guess what, the opposition are almost always in attacking position. Our middles are as soft as butter, teams consistently make 10-15m more per set than us just doing one out runs. 2 back-and-forth sets puts them in an attacking position. 2 big middles will A) help shore up our defence and negate opposition metres made and B) gain more metres out of our end, helping us be in an attacking position more often.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why?

Both. Other packs trample our forwards through the middle. Haven't you noticed that. We also have trouble getting out of our own end. We have a smaller pack than most thus the reason we're not dominant in attack or defence. If we're not dominant in defence letting them come down our end too easily it allows them quick play the balls and to put pressure on us on the tryline on 5th tackles instead of kicking from near half way. Then when we have the ball if we're not making ground we're kicking on the 5th from our own half instead of getting an attacking chance. Halves and backlines can't do much without field position

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we go into 2024 with Critchton, Burton Sexton and Mahoney then we may as well start looking at 2025.
What’s the other options ??

Gus can’t just pull a world class halfback out of his ass

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. Almost gotta offer Tino 1.5 mil a season if that's what it takes lol.
I’d prefer we look to the other clubs lower grades and pinch 3 hard working Horsbrah types for $500k each, don’t tell me the next Haas, Tino etc. aren’t out there waiting for their shot … now’s the time to go find and recruit them while they’re up and coming players with a stack of upside who are young & cheap ..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Christ, I’m only just realising this now too

In July 2022 we extended him through til end of 2025!!!
He missed most of 2021 through injury and on return last year was playing well. He’s been disappointing this year and missed more games through illness. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it, but at the time I would’ve re-signed him too, though the deal is probably one year too long and should’ve ended 2024.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why?

Surely you’re taking the piss on this question?

The absolute catalyst for our total failure in both attack and defence has been our week as piss forwards. We get dominated in both attack and defence.

Whist we are seriously lacking a game manager at 7. You could drop Joey or Thurston at their peak behind our current forwards and they wouldn’t make a difference.

It’s the old saying:
“Forwards win you matches. The backs determine by how much.”

Our powderpuff forwards are our biggest weakness by far. This also involves coaching including selections & use of interchange. If our forwards were better in both defence and attack. Our backs would be better as a result.

Without forwards going forward and forwards stopping the other teams go forward. The play makers and backs have no chance.

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely you’re taking the piss on this question?

The absolute catalyst for our total failure in both attack and defence has been our week as piss forwards. We get dominated in both attack and defence.

Whist we are seriously lacking a game manager at 7. You could drop Joey or Thurston at their peak behind our current forwards and they wouldn’t make a difference.

It’s the old saying:
“Forwards win you matches. The backs determine by how much.”

Our powderpuff forwards are our biggest weakness by far. This also involves coaching including selections & use of interchange. If our forwards were better in both defence and attack. Our backs would be better as a result.

Without forwards going forward and forwards stopping the other teams go forward. The play makers and backs have no chance.
I think our failures in the forwards are more to do with technique ratter than personnel TBH.