Flanagan consolidated thread.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id take a punt on benji for 21 if we cant get burton, id still sign Flanagan for $300k, its less that what wake ham and lewis are on and he is better than those two guys.

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Flanagan has no running game, no vision, no creativity and didn't perform under pressure. As a half he and Keary gets the ball BEFORE the strike players around them. The strike players rely on the halves to create the opportunities. The difference is that Keary threatens the defence and sets up tries and Flanagan does not. Why recruit him on a halfback's salary when he lacks all the mandatory criteria required for a half.
I wouldn't call Nathan Cleary a prodigy. He was a below average half for years riding off his father's name until this year with TB hand holding him he's improved considerably. Prodigies don't need to be spoon fed because they already have natural ability and star quality. Baa was a star already in his first year in first grade when he was 19. Turvey was ripping the Dogs apart as an amateur playing for Riverina when he was 19. Those two are real prodigies.
I'm talking about current players and by those standards Cleary is the only young half to be doing anything really as in playing reps. If you're writing off Cleary like that then the only players that would satisfy your halves needs is if we somehow clone 19y/o versions of Turvey and Baa and stick them in the team, and if you think that it's all Barrett that's made Cleary why shouldn't we get Flanagan. At least by what you're saying Flanagan will be playing for the blues by next year under Barrett

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm talking about current players and by those standards Cleary is the only young half to be doing anything really as in playing reps. If you're writing off Cleary like that then the only players that would satisfy your halves needs is if we somehow clone 19y/o versions of Turvey and Baa and stick them in the team, and if you think that it's all Barrett that's made Cleary why shouldn't we get Flanagan. At least by what you're saying Flanagan will be playing for the blues by next year under Barrett
You don't know what the meaning of prodigy is. Look it up. Eg's of prodigies throughout history are Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Gauss etc. Eg's of prodigy in footy are Turvey, Baa, SBW, Fitler, Lockyer etc. They all showed greatness and ability at an early age through natural talent that was beyond players with far more experience. They didn't have to be spoon fed by a coach. Cleary is a latter version of Pearce. Cleary gets the media headlines and got into Origin because of his name and father just like Pearce. It was Luai not Cleary who repeatedly set up the tries and line breaks against the Chooks in the playoffs. Before this year all Cleary did was throw predictable passes behind decoy runners and bomb on the last tackle. He didn't threaten the Qld defence in Origin and he hardly ran to the line before TB came back. Cleary got into Origin before Keary which shows how political the NSW selectors are. Cleary is a decent half now but he's no prodigy. Benji on low $$ would make far more sense than Flanagan and he doesn't need to be taught how to play like a half or set up tries. A quality long term half won't be on the market until end of next year.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Flanagan has no running game, no vision, no creativity and didn't perform under pressure. As a half he and Keary gets the ball BEFORE the strike players around them. The strike players rely on the halves to create the opportunities. The difference is that Keary threatens the defence and sets up tries and Flanagan does not. Why recruit him on a halfback's salary when he lacks all the mandatory criteria required for a half.
I wouldn't call Nathan Cleary a prodigy. He was a below average half for years riding off his father's name until this year with TB hand holding him he's improved considerably. Prodigies don't need to be spoon fed because they already have natural ability and star quality. Baa was a star already in his first year in first grade when he was 19. Turvey was ripping the Dogs apart as an amateur playing for Riverina when he was 19. Those two are real prodigies.
Nobody knows what he will be coming over for. He is still a rookie after all but even if we do over pay,it would have to be better then seeing lewis run around as our halfback again even if lewis was playing for free!

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have Lachlan Lewis as our starting halfback and half you guys are complaining about signing Flanagan!!! Come on guys the Lewis torture can not continue bring on Flanagan or any one other than Lewis

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
is averillo better then burton?
from what i’ve heard burton is the real deal, avo to play fullback or centre?
People have talked up Averillo quite alot this part year, but he was given a bit of game time and didn't really impress that much by all accounts? In no way am I rubbishing, just going on what people have said.

Didn't Averillo play a few games at centre but it didn't seem like the right fit for him? Lacking in defence? Can't remember if I'm honest so happy to be corrected. But, I'm not sure centre is his position?

Others say he'd be a brilliant fullback. But it seems as though we chased Staines pretty hard, and the JAC rumours have been going on for some time. So on that Averillo mustn't be that highly considered at fullback?

Leaves the only real position for him at 5/8? Green coming in to mentor him, but with him sick now someone else to step into the halfback role? Makes you think that we wouldn't sign both Burton AND Flanagan?

Again though, this is just from the feedback I've read here.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People also need to remember this is also Nathan Clearys 3rd or 4th full year in First Grade and first full year without a senior playmaker beside him. He wasn't playing like he is now in his first few years.

Flanagan has the potential and would need another 2/3 yrs full time to really get a gauge on him. Christ how long have we given Lewis??

Still rather Flanno over Lewis any day of the week.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No thanks. Goes missing in the big moments. Been saying for awhile now that the Roosters wont win the comp with him at halfback and neither will we.
I think he made zero runs against Penrith and two against Canberra, granted he had a shoulder injury in the Canberra game, but against Penrith he went missing badly and as result Keary got effectively shut down in both games. That's why Robbo dropped him initially, he wasn't running the ball or creating doubt in the defence line so all their focus was on Keary.

Lam will fill in for 2021 while Sam Walker is given one more year to develop and bulk up a bit.

Flannery is a solid defender, a good goal kicker and has a very good left to right pass. And with Barrett as his coach his running attack will improve imo. Would be a very good pick up for you guys.

It was always a huge ask for him to wear the 7 at the Roosters as we tried to win 3. It's like replacing a Field Marshall with a First Lieutenant. But with less scrutiny and pressure the kid may well shine.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My mail is that Flanagan was a punish around the playing group. Kent was spot on. He just didn’t fit in. So many haters out there because the back to back premiers want to let him go. He might better himself at a different club.
The Roosters don’t suffer fools. No other club would ever let go a player like Latrell Mitchell. They did even after he begged them for him to stay. IMO it shows a club with intestinal fortitude. It’s Why they are the most successful side this millennium.
The Qantas lounge roosters are a disgrace

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he would be the perfect foil for Burton.

He is miles better than anything we have & as he is young he will only get better - worth a shot!!!

How good would it feel to have an 80% + goal kicker again???
Is he a consistent 80er? or did he just have a big goal kicking season? I thought he was a bit hit and miss, but was surprised to see he was at 80% this year, that is elite.

And decent signing if we pull it off. Better then Blake Green. We do need some young kids moving forward.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he made zero runs against Penrith and two against Canberra, granted he had a shoulder injury in the Canberra game, but against Penrith he went missing badly and as result Keary got effectively shut down in both games. That's why Robbo dropped him initially, he wasn't running the ball or creating doubt in the defence line so all their focus was on Keary.

Lam will fill in for 2021 while Sam Walker is given one more year to develop and bulk up a bit.

Flannery is a solid defender, a good goal kicker and has a very good left to right pass. And with Barrett as his coach his running attack will improve imo. Would be a very good pick up for you guys.

It was always a huge ask for him to wear the 7 at the Roosters as we tried to win 3. It's like replacing a Field Marshall with a First Lieutenant. But with less scrutiny and pressure the kid may well shine.
Good assumptions...Not bad for a chook :-)

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan is only a slight upgraded on Lewis. And that's saying something. They are both terrible. Flanagan is only a stop gap solution if he was any good do you think the roosters of all clubs will let him go. We already have Lewis as stop gap we don't need another in Flanagan. We should just wait for a proper half to become available.
We have Lachlan Lewis as our starting halfback and half you guys are complaining about signing Flanagan!!! Come on guys the Lewis torture can not continue bring on Flanagan or any one other than Lewis

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't go along with the line that "the Chooks don't want him so he must be shit". The fact is they have let many quality (ie; not shit) players go, for any number of reasons. The Chooks demand a premiership every single year, anything less than that is a total failure. That is their culture, not saying that it's a bad thing to want to win, but to arrogantly expect it every single year, even with their sombrero, is unrealistic. Particularly with the NRL rules designed to prevent one club monopolising the premierships. This single minded view is applied to every player and it means that they won't wait, they only want players who will guarantee a championship next year. Plus it also means that they must nominate a reason for not wining and eradicate it, even if it isn't the right reason.

I don't see Flanagan as the reason, the real problem was Robinson not recognising that 20 games straight required a different approach, particularly with the ageing of his top level players. Reliable sources (several in fact) have told me that he flogged the crap out of them during the Covid break, which was always going to lead towards late season burn out. Basically they had 2 pre seasons this year. Which also resulted in some injuries due to player fatigue. Too late he realised that he had farked up, then tried to rest players and even brought in SBM as desperate measure to instil some life into a rapidly fading team.

Flanagan wasn't the problem at the Chooks, it was Robinson, but that just won't do, so the Chooks media machine spins into action and passes the blame on to Flanagan. When that doesn't work, which it won't, they will then try to spin another into the blame game ............ (fill in the blanks while waiting for them to nominate who the next victim is).

Go Dogs

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd be going 1 Avo 6 Burton/Marshall 7 Flanagan 9 anyone but looking like JMK....

That being said, why dont we also look at Jaeman Salmon. If we get Salmon for say 2 years that means:

2021 (Halves)
Salmon, Flanagan, Wakeham, Lewis, Green (release)

2022 (Halves)
Salmon, Flanagan, Burton, Wakeham

Salmon was talked up big time a couple years back and played with Flanagan in Shark's junior system....

Last edited: