News Five big questions for 2024: Canterbury Bulldogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Halfbacks like Joey John’s and more recently, Ezra Mam put big props on their backsides for fun, I’m sure our current middles over 100Kg and our backrow contingent can handle the heat… it is all about intent and aggression…. These things have been key to the game since 1908.
And what we've not had enough of for a while.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And what we've not had enough of for a while.
Agree, I can’t remember a game we showed mongrel and intent for 80mins since Hasler in his prime with us… prior to that, we were ruthless for decades (bred into the club from early on.

We’ve had a lot of “clean-skin” players the last few years, TPJ was the lone wolf but only turned it on every now and then….. this season, hoping Curran will bring the heat, he’s a Bulldog type player that has some grit about him.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Only one question there, and it’s the one revolving around our middles. It’s our biggest issue. No experience, size or depth is going to hurt, no matter how you sugar coat it. It’s a very long season. Even one injury to a guy with a little experience such as King will hurt. I don’t want to be a doom and gloomer, I like our backs and our back row is quality, but this is a REAL problem.

As for the other 4 questions, they’ll all be fine. Mahoney and Burton are good footballers. If Crighton plays centre that suits us. Allows Tracey or Taffe an opportunity to grab the #1.
The trouble is there was little props available on the market. Getting Taukeiaho would have helped but apart from that I think only 2 quality props changed clubs and it was the same the year before and will probably be the same next year.

So we have little choice but to promote from within. I know we have the Prop pathway development with the likes of Jack Todd, Lipoi Hopoi and Zac Montgomery coming through. Montgomery may be Ok as he comes from the same team as Preston. There is around 10 props in the academy but most are on development contracts and won't come through for a year or two.

Apart from that we have the additions of Kautoga and Faamausili. Then theres Hughes who I think everyone is banking on. Gould reckons he may have a breakout year like Preston. So hopefully one or two will stand up.

I think its a good opportunity for a prop to establish themselves as an NRL player for the Dogs. Its pretty open so I reckon players will have this in the back of their minds and we may see some good performances unlike in the past where we feel into a rut. Now theres more passion and commitment and a different culture which hopefully will bring out the best.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I tend to disagree, we actually have a squad with a balance of experience and youth as well as a team of first graders as opposed to years gone by where we had a number of reserve graders trying to get to the next level. Anything short of top 10 will be a massive failure.

The biggest question missed is can our forward pack match it for long enough periods?
The forwards pack really depends on injuries. We just don't have the depth to take too many.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 5 big questions:
1. Lack of middle big boppers. The truth is our prop situation is dire & injuries will make us use 2nd rowers as props
2. Lack of a marquee organisiing halfback. Burton will continue to be average until we get one as he is a running 5/8
3. Cohesion & playing for our jersey. So many new recruits in our top 30 who aren't from juniors pathways means Ciraldo has one hell of a job to get them to buy into our culture especially defence
4. JAC....i think he isn't settled here...i think there are issues behind the scenes...hope not but he seems to find trouble all the time
5. I know we have exciting juniors in the pipeline but 2024 still sees us not really blooding them. Our pathways HAVE to start producing in 25

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only question that needs answering is why opposition fans say "dogs have a sombrero" "how can Gus keep signing so many players".
These same ***** are the ones that ignore the 95% cap spend rule and have shit on our side for having terrible players for 6-7 years.

Bring on the trials and round 1, hopefully we can make plenty of teams and commentators eat some humble pie.
The answer was is and always be the same... ENVY !
Since when we never did or do care about opposition supporters and how they thinks or feel about our club,
Think and smile, we've always been the envy of other clubs,
Imagine how they'll burn when the rise of the Phoenix ( Bulldogs ) is complete :laughing:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Since when we never did or do care about opposition supporters and how they thinks or feel about our club,
Imagine how they'll burn when the rise of the Phoenix ( Bulldogs ) is complete :laughing:
[/QUOTE]
100% it just irks me. For example when Knights sucked for years, neutral fans were like oh I hope they sign some good players and improve. Dogs sucks for 7 years, hilarious fuck them haha... sign some players on cheap for opportunities like Taffee, Xerri etc and have no players over 850k on increased cap and wankers claim we have sombrero. Like you said happy for them to hate us, but still annoying AF.

PaulS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The trouble is there was little props available on the market. Getting Taukeiaho would have helped but apart from that I think only 2 quality props changed clubs and it was the same the year before and will probably be the same next year.

So we have little choice but to promote from within. I know we have the Prop pathway development with the likes of Jack Todd, Lipoi Hopoi and Zac Montgomery coming through. Montgomery may be Ok as he comes from the same team as Preston. There is around 10 props in the academy but most are on development contracts and won't come through for a year or two.

Apart from that we have the additions of Kautoga and Faamausili. Then theres Hughes who I think everyone is banking on. Gould reckons he may have a breakout year like Preston. So hopefully one or two will stand up.

I think its a good opportunity for a prop to establish themselves as an NRL player for the Dogs. Its pretty open so I reckon players will have this in the back of their minds and we may see some good performances unlike in the past where we feel into a rut. Now theres more passion and commitment and a different culture which hopefully will bring out the best.

Montgomery gone.
Walked out last week

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% it just irks me. For example when Knights sucked for years, neutral fans were like oh I hope they sign some good players and improve. Dogs sucks for 7 years, hilarious fuck them haha... sign some players on cheap for opportunities like Taffee, Xerri etc and have no players over 850k on increased cap and wankers claim we have sombrero. Like you said happy for them to hate us, but still annoying AF.
[/QUOTE]
Here's a reminder what opposition fans think of us...
1. Called us cheats for getting caught for salary cap breaches losing 39 points and possible a premiership in 2002 when it was rife in the game then, later 5 clubs were caught for cap breaches including the eventual premiers and got away with it, that didn't stop those fans celebrating our misery.
2. 2004 the players were falsely accused of rape then later were exonerated but not before our reputations were tainted as a club team and supporters, even our children were targets of opposition fans.
3. Then came GreenTurd & Desstroyer, what followed almost totally ruined our club, naturally the same fans are celebrating our fall from grace...

Last edited:

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
5 Big Problems
1. Nobody has staked a firm claim to be the teams chief playmaker. Hutchinson is an experienced utility at NRL but not an experienced 7 at NRL level. Sexton is younger but has struggled at 7, so far. O'Niell is probably not ready, Rajab is not ready. Should Dogs give Rajab at run at 7 in NSW Cup?
2. Lack of consistent NRL middle forwards, its King and Curran then day light second. Should Hughes, Patolo, Morrin and Edwards be given an extended run at the expense older players in Mariner and Sutton?
3. Has the club bought to many players who may be able to play fullback? Where does this leave a youngster like Papali'i? 1 and 7 or halve a premiership spine is still missing.
4. Burton is inconsistent, is he good enough to be an NRL 5/8? In a years time does one of Burton or KO leave the club?
5. Club and player unrest, has it been settled?

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
The author loves the word simply. That’s all I took out of it.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Called us cheats for getting caught for salary cap breaches losing 39 points and possible a premiership in 2002 when it was rife in the game then, later 5 clubs were caught for cap breaches including the eventual premiers and got away with it, that didn't stop those fans celebrating our misery.
2. 2004 the players were falsely accused of rape then later were exonerated but not before our reputations were tainted as a club team and supporters, even our children were targets of opposition fans.
3. Then came GreenTurd & Desstroyer, what followed almost totally ruined our club, naturally the same fans are celebrating our fall from grace...
[/QUOTE]
I think we are moving on from all this and it will soon be distant memories. What counts now is our culture and performance on the field and I think these will get better with time and will build our reputation. Gus knows the Bulldog DNA, what got us to dominate in the 80's and he is tapping into that.

Thats why its not just about developing the footy talent but the man as well and I think CC is all about that as well. There is a big difference in the past where it was all about buying the comp, managing the club as a business and making it all about the spirit of the game, of family and culture.

It seems Gus and others involved like x bulldogs involved on the coaching staff and the emphasis on culture, family, development and hard work ethic is re-establishing that Bulldog DNA and its only a matter of time before it pays off.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which is the young prop from Queensland we bought last year I think. They have big wraps on him also. Was that Jack Todd?

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 Big Problems
1. Nobody has staked a firm claim to be the teams chief playmaker. Hutchinson is an experienced utility at NRL but not an experienced 7 at NRL level. Sexton is younger but has struggled at 7, so far. O'Niell is probably not ready, Rajab is not ready. Should Dogs give Rajab at run at 7 in NSW Cup?
2. Lack of consistent NRL middle forwards, its King and Curran then day light second. Should Hughes, Patolo, Morrin and Edwards be given an extended run at the expense older players in Mariner and Sutton?
3. Has the club bought to many players who may be able to play fullback? Where does this leave a youngster like Papali'i? 1 and 7 or halve a premiership spine is still missing.
4. Burton is inconsistent, is he good enough to be an NRL 5/8? In a years time does one of Burton or KO leave the club?
5. Club and player unrest, has it been settled?
I wouldn’t worry about Papali’i or his opportunity. The club would know what they have there with him. If he’s as good as believed to be, then really, as handy as Taffe and Tracey are, they shouldn’t be able to block his ability when the time is right.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are moving on from all this and it will soon be distant memories. What counts now is our culture and performance on the field and I think these will get better with time and will build our reputation. Gus knows the Bulldog DNA, what got us to dominate in the 80's and he is tapping into that.

Thats why its not just about developing the footy talent but the man as well and I think CC is all about that as well. There is a big difference in the past where it was all about buying the comp, managing the club as a business and making it all about the spirit of the game, of family and culture.

It seems Gus and others involved like x bulldogs involved on the coaching staff and the emphasis on culture, family, development and hard work ethic is re-establishing that Bulldog DNA and its only a matter of time before it pays off.
[/QUOTE]

2002 was a fricken JOKE! I remember at the start of the year, on paper, our team was no where near that of the Roosters. Our problem was we overpaid our kids such as Mason coming through. Anasta was on potential at that point, and we had a handful of handy players like Norton and Grimaldi. There was NO WAY we were paying our players MORE than what the Rooster’s team was getting paid. Then, when the salary cap breaching door was opened with us, Gallop the Piece of S**t spineless c**t, p*ssed his pants and hid when it came to checking other clubs. We were PURE scapegoats and the rest of the NRL fans loved it! I have ZERO soft spot for ANY club and since 2002, I enjoy seeing ANY OTHER club have misery. I bleed BLUE AND WHITE only, and since that day, every other club can get f**ked.

and to think we were the first club to March and financially support Souths to re enter the comp hurts more when those sh*t scum toothless fans now enjoy our misery! It was being the first to support them that cost us all the hatred from News Corp Journos as we were to be their shining light big scalp a Super League club!! It’s the reason for the coverage of Coffs Harbout, the week after we lost the GF in 2012 (never have camera crews been set up for 1 week outside a losing club’s ground remembering for that reason the lads did not celebrate end of the year in the public. Also, the cameras set up to film Adam Elliott’s exploits (even though he was a knob) down the rocks.

Do I sound bitter?? Hahaha

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]
Patience is a virtue !!!
If we make the correct decision now, we will deal with less disappointments later...