Finals Fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Does anybody know or have any idea how the new finals system works, as in What day/time teams play?

1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

5th v 8th
6th v 7th

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anybody know or have any idea how the new finals system works, as in What day/time teams play?

1st v 4th
2nd v 3rd

5th v 8th
6th v 7th

If i was to guess, i'd say:
Friday: 5th v 8th
Saturday: 2nd vs 3rd followed by 6th vs 7th
Sunday: 1st vs 4th

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
If i was to guess, i'd say:
Friday: 5th v 8th
Saturday: 2nd vs 3rd followed by 6th vs 7th
Sunday: 1st vs 4th

I think you're right ...

Although I'd be making the 5th V 8th and 6th V 7th on the same night, double header in ANZ Stadium

It's no longer a home game for any of those 4 teams (I think), so you might as well pack out ANZ I say :grinning:

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you're right ...

Although I'd be making the 5th V 8th and 6th V 7th on the same night, double header in ANZ Stadium

It's no longer a home game for any of those 4 teams (I think), so you might as well pack out ANZ I say :grinning:
5th and 6th get home games. But i do like the idea of a double header

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think you're right ...

As Moe said, 5th and 6th get home games.
I remember reading an article saying that they're not gonna run a double header though (i.e. hypothetically if Bulldogs finish 1st and Souths finish 5th)

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
5th and 6th get home games. But i do like the idea of a double header
hmmmm ... I get the balance here, finish 3rd or 4th you miss out on a home game but 2nd round is locked in either way

Finish 5th, 6th, you done better then 7th 8th so you get abit of an advantage ... 5th is say Warriors VS 8th say Tigers in ANZ is a disadvantage :(

My theory probably doesn't work too well :(

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
So if we were to finish 1st, we'd play on the Sunday. Is that a 3 o'clock kick off?

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So if we were to finish 1st, we'd play on the Sunday. Is that a 3 o'clock kick off?
nothing's been set officially, but that's just what i'm assuming.
from memory, last year's sunday week 1 finals game kicked off at 4pm?

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
1st place should play first so they have the maximum time to recover for the following game (either next week or week other)

Makes no sense for 2nd or 3rd, to get the benefit of 2 extra days (what if there is an injury or something)

May seem like a small thing, but it should go in favour of the first place team IMO

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty sure Friday and Sunday is top 4.i hope so cos I have a bloody wedding on the Saturday! And then an engagement party the week after. But we'll win week one so we'll have a week off!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
5th & 6th get home games week 1 only, they are away every week after even if they win. Teams 7th & 8th are away every week even if they win.
Top 2 is vital, Home every game. 3rd, 4th away week 1 only, home every game after that.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
The NRL seriously need to put an end to these finals suburban game ...

I understand the need for suburban games during the year but FFS showcase the game right !!!

If your in the finals, it shouldn't matter who you're up against, where, when, conditions whatever ... it's finals football, every game is a grandfinal game

I know it's a disadvantage if you're Melbourne and you have to play the Dogs in ANZ .. or if you're the Dogs and you have to play Brisbane at Suncorp but the game needs to put on a showcase, it's the only way it will grow

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why we weren't using this system up until now I will never know..

Makes much more sense and actually makes it beneficial for teams who put in the hardwork throughout the season.

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL seriously need to put an end to these finals suburban game ...

I understand the need for suburban games during the year but FFS showcase the game right !!!

If your in the finals, it shouldn't matter who you're up against, where, when, conditions whatever ... it's finals football, every game is a grandfinal game

I know it's a disadvantage if you're Melbourne and you have to play the Dogs in ANZ .. or if you're the Dogs and you have to play Brisbane at Suncorp but the game needs to put on a showcase, it's the only way it will grow
I see you're point and agree with it - but at the same point, what incentive does it give a team to finish in the top 4 if you're taking away home ground advantage?

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They have all Sydney games are played at Anz and SFS. Apparently the qualifying games are being played first so minor premier will play 4th on Friday night. Silly IMO however it does give the minor premier the biggest break between games win or loss
has that been confirmed?

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
5V8, 6V7 .. Saturday Night Double Header

Events through out the day, festival type thing, music, maybe some sprint and strength battles amongst 9th -16th Teams

Can't be that hard to organise

As an advantage, maybe team 5 and 6 can have a kick return start both halves or something

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
what incentive does it give a team to finish in the top 4 if you're taking away home ground advantage?
guaranteed second week of finals. and in that second week they'll play a lower ranked team

spikestar

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
guaranteed second week of finals. and in that second week they'll play a lower ranked team
yeah i understand that, but lets use the cowboys as an example, who have a poor track record in Sydney. they're pretty much disadvantaged for the second week.
I could be wrong - they're just my thoughts though.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i understand that, but lets use the cowboys as an example, who have a poor track record in Sydney. they're pretty much disadvantaged for the second week.
I could be wrong - they're just my thoughts though.
That's the cowboys fault unfortunately. You have to win the GF in sydney so if you can't win a finals game here, what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.