Fans attack Aussie Olympian Michelle Jenneke after her 'disappointing' sixth place finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Source: http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...ixth-place-finish/ar-BBvHOzO?ocid=mailsignout

She’s the hurdler known around the world for her famous warm-up routine: a mixture of dancing and stretching that sees her place her hands on her hips and wiggle from side to side.

But the 23-year-old has failed to make it through to the next round of the 100m hurdles event, after finishing in sixth place in her heat.

Jenneke - who was named as one of the faces of Coca-Cola's Rio campaign, alongside sprinter Usain Bolt - described her performance as "one of the worst races I've ever done".

"I should have run faster and I didn’t," she told the press pack after her disappointing finish. Despite only being 23, and admitting that she's "still young, still at university", Australians have been quick to cast judgment on the hurdler's performance, criticising her for the fact her fame comes from her 'dancing' and not her on-track performance.

"You can afford to be a bit flamboyant when you're at the top of your sport. Ms Jenneke isn't," wrote one Aussie sports fan on Facebook.

"She can dance but not run. Another Australian who is all talk but hopeless," wrote another.

Others labelled her a "show off", a "flop" and said she was too busy "hamming it up for the cameras" rather than focusing on her race.

Jenneke isn't the first Aussie Olympian who has felt the need to apologise for their less-than-expected Rio results.

After failing to medal in both her preferred 100m and 50m reestyle events, Cate Campbell described her performance as "the biggest choke in Olympic history", and begged Australia to still "love her back".

Former gold medalist and Australian flag bearer Anna Meares also apologised after failing to medal in the women's sprint final.

"I've given it my everything and hope people can forgive me. I didn't deliver this time," a teary Meares said.

"Unfortunately sport delivers highs and lows and the Olympic games is the Olympic games. I always go out to win, so does every other bastard in the world too."

Wahesh

Reaction score
I wish these people would get off her back. If she qualified for the Olympics, then she's done what was required of her. In terms of her finishing 6th, well, someone has to! In terms of her not qualifying for the final, well, someone has to. In terms of her being disappointing, well, someone has to.

Just because it was our girl who had a bad run does not give other people the right to criticise her. It's her life and she can do whatever she likes. Her standards and performances do not have an effect of them, I wish they would just STFU. Why don't they criticise our other athletes who put in a bad performances???

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Her own coach criticized her saying she went to rio unfit, tbh if our athletes dont give it their all then why should guys like me and you pay for their training and development

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Tokyo olympics looks fucking crazy. The Prime Minster dressed up as fucking Mario ffs. Our athleted will flop even more next time round with all that crazy shit going on lol.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Id go uday hussein on the whole Olympic teams arses. Pack of absolute bludgers who get funded by tax payers $$$ to go on holidays. Next Olympics if anyone comes home with no medal they should face the gallows fucking bludgers

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is stupid. She's young and at her first Olympics. She was never going to win a medal anyway. Should she have been so prominent in the media? I say why not? She could get a tv hosting gig out of it the way Johanna Griggs and Matt Shirvington did.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Her own coach criticized her saying she went to rio unfit, tbh if our athletes dont give it their all then why should guys like me and you pay for their training and development
Didn't the Aussie athletes at London do the same thing? I remember the news were saying they were obsessed with social media and were caught up in their own egos.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol,
I don't care how she runs, I just watch for the dance

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Nano ... hahaha small world ... we share the same physio then :P

Didn't realise you were in NW Sydney :D
The surgeon for my ACL was in the office next door and recommended me these guys for physio haha.

I am down the Cumberland somewhere in wenty haha

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
this dance is like when bart simpson got famous for saying i didnt do it and then it was over after a while

"oh i wouldnt worry about that, you're just finished thats all"

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The surgeon for my ACL was in the office next door and recommended me these guys for physio haha.

I am down the Cumberland somewhere in wenty haha
Ahhh yeah they are good there... they fix me whenever something shits itself and doesn't settle down (knee/lower back/shoulder)..

Matt's left there now though.. he used to be really good.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Big deal, she didn't perform well. If someone who doesn't perform well qualifies for the Olympic games, perhaps the AOC should take a look at their selection requirements. My goodness it's not like she killed someone, she just finished 6th in a race FFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.